on 28 March 2009
Great album, for its price; with all of the tracks that you would expect to find eg: For Your Love, Heart Full of Soul, Still I'm Sad, Shapes of Things etc - but still generally concentrating on the Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck eras.

But, still, as with several other compilations by The Yardbirds, that I have come across, not featuring any more than one track featuring Jimmy Page on it; and always seeming to be the same one - namely "Stroll On," who, I'm sure did more than just this one track. But, I suppose, where Jimmy Page is concerned; that is another story entirely, as he created one of the UK's most successful acts out of the ashes of The Yardbirds, namely Led Zeppelin, when The Yardbirds ceased to exist, as such; and the rest of the members went their own separate ways.

However, for all of its faults, it is still a good compilation, worth purchasing, and giving an excellent overview of one of the UK's finest Rock Bands of the period, as good as The Kinks, although overshadowed by Cream, The Beatles, The Who, and The Rolling Stones.
on 15 October 2002
A band that are quite under-rated, this CD asks the question WHY!!!!! They already sound like one of the greatest bands ever when you hear that they first had Eric Clapton, then Jeff Beck and finally Jimmy Page, and you don't even have to click on the soundbite of New York City. The material ranges from live high-powered R&B to early psychedelic pop. Occaisionly too poppy for Eric Clapton who left due to the popiness of For Your Love, they unfortunately had a member who joined 10CC. They probably started the hard-rock/heavy metal movement, heard in Led Zeppelin who were basically a revised version of the New Yardbirds.
This CD is also a brilliant bargain I strongly recomend it to any fan of rocked-up blues or bluesed-up rock music. It also contains nearly -if not- all of Five Live Yardbirds.
on 5 January 2010
This is an excellent CD, with probably the best compilation of the band's music. I have been playing it over and over since I got it. It made me discover the Yardbirds, which I love for their mix of rock and blues - and lyrics are meningful too.
on 3 November 2009
I am a little disappointed that when companies release these sorts of things that they tend to throw in a lot of "second takes" or versions that never were released in the first place, well that's ok if they are a bonus package, but please, please, PLEASE, keep to the plan, this album DID come out on vinyl, I have it in fact, but at least three tracks are so disappointing, for instance "Heart Full Of Soul", what happened here?

I love Jeff Beck, and this is spoiled on this re-boxed album, generally good, the "takes" generally are pretty poor.

Still good to have, but could do better.
on 25 July 2011
Some seminal tracks on this album such as For Your Love which recall the great days of the mid/late 60s. Overall there seems some bias toward tracks from the time Eric Clapton was in the group, most curiously, 'Over, Under, Sideways, Down' has been omitted. Unfortunately Amazon appear to no longer be listing the tracks on CDs unless they are available as MP3 downloads - had I realised this track was missing I would have opted for Shapes of Things : The Best of (the Yardbirds), a double CD, which is available at the same price.
on 10 August 2012
I love these 'Best Of's....Where is 'Happenings Ten Years Time Ago', 'Over, Under, Sideways, Down', 'The Nazz Are Blue', at the very least. The Yardbirds do not have an extensive back catalogue of real quality....So it isn't that difficult to select the right 20-odd tracks. Best track here..'Stroll On' featuring both Jimmy and Jeff I believe. Disappointing..but I should've bought a more extensive 'Best Of....', but worth the 0.01p I paid.
on 28 September 2009
OMG take me back to the sixties why don't you ! I had quite forgotten how much the Yardbirds influenced my life choices of music. Great album, some tracks excel whilst others sound like a church hall band trying to sound like the Yardbirds. Others , like 'schoolgirl', are done much better by others(Ten Years After), however the rawness and feeling that exudes from this album just takes me back to my youth. I lent it to my mates 21 yr old guitarist son who was just blown away by it and introduced him to much more of the same type of sixties music. Buy it whatever age you are if you like guitar based rock/blues you wont be disappointed.
on 6 March 2014
With this record you can here and feel the very soul of the band and can find out why they deserve a place in the very top echelons of pop society.Although Eric left because they were getting to "pop orientated" listening to this album i am sorry but i don't agree with him.When you listen to each track you can see why they wrre so great and Keith voice is extraordinary ,what a tragic loss he was to music.The live tracks are the really stand out songs on the album i only wish i had seen them live but their spirit lives on with the band still touring witgh some of the original members.A great album and a great band when you think 3 out of the top 5 guitarists of all time went through this band it shows they were really one of the best.
In truth, a bit of a casually lashed-up "Best of ..." album from Music Club, whether there were copyright restrictions or just an inexpert choosing the tracks, I don't know, but there are much better, comprehensive (and inexpensive) compilations around. However, the hits are there, the bluesy stuff, and a bonus of 7 live tracks which are just fantastic. For me, the Yardbirds aren't just the precursor to the rock careers of the three legends it nurtured, but a darned good r&b/pop band - my abiding memory of them being Keith Relf, in polo neck and unfeasibly broad shoulders, sitting on a stool belting out "Heart Full of Soul" on RSG (or was it TOTP) - so this CD does the job for me pretty well.
on 18 February 2013
THIS COMPILATION FEATURES THREE GREAT PERFORMERS WHO HONED THEIR SKILLS IN THE THE SURREY (SURBITON) BASED R&B OUTFIT -- MESSRS CLAPTON, BECK AND PAGE WERE ALL WELL WORTHY OF BETTER THINGS, AND ALL SUCCEDED AS THE YARDBIRDS POPULARITY WANED. TAKE YOUR PICK!