5.0 out of 5 stars Civ-tastic
Having played all of the previous Civ games on PC, I looked forward to trying it out on the big screen and console. I have not been disappointed!

Here's my nutshell review, so you can see if this is a buy, wait or rent for you...

Pros:
- easy to play
Published on 14 Aug. 2008 by Sisemen

3.0 out of 5 stars Civ Rev is an odd game. Odd but good, try before you buy.
First go: Rubbish.
Second go: Great fun.
Third go onwards: odd.

Civ Rev is certainly good, but it will appeal more and last any longer to achievement hunters and people who like this type of RTS style game.

Published on 15 April 2011 by James

5.0 out of 5 stars Civ-tastic, 14 Aug. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sid Meier's Civilization: Revolution (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

Pros:
- easy to play
- lowest levels complete in a few hours, most difficult probably provide about 20 hours of continuous gameplay
- you can stop playing and save at any point in the game
- it looks nice, has good sounds and graphics
- there is massive re-play value in this game
- the terrain is varied and you are never sure when starting the game whether you have dropped lucky (lots of special resources, on a peninsula and not surrounded by potential enemies) or into the hornets' nest. All the map is covered by clouds, so until you explore, you don't know what's coming next.
- there are four different ways to win, which means you do not have to be an aggressive war-monger. Victories: Technological (get into space and colonise another planet), Cultural (you are so cultured that your enemies' cities defect to your side, you create Great People and Wonders of the World and buid the United Nations), Economic (you amass great wealth and build the World Bank) or Domination (you take over four enemy capitals). This effectively means that each level of difficulty has four different modes of play. Great fun.
- there are some really nice touches from the earlier games, like the diplomacy screen, where you can trade technology and gossip and send the other Civs into war with one another

Cons:
- time literally flies in this game, particularly on the harder levels - it can be very difficult to progress quickly enough to keep up with your enemies
- there is a degree of unfairness in the higher levels which means battles often go against your superior units and you are constantly at war with the other Civs, whilst they maintain the peace amongst themselves
- it is so engrossing that you will find that you have spent 6 hours playing without moving, eating or drinking - not great!
- it is not particularly interesting to watch, given the lengthy timescales involved - so not a very social game
- the made-up language of your advisers rapidly becomes irritating (but then becomes funny) - eg "Oooh de Pree!", "Unum grew", "Fallon fallon".

Great if:
- you have the odd hour here and there to play a game
- you are ill and need a restful game that is totally engrossing
- you love God games

Not so great if:
- you are a CIV purist who likes massive maps and many enemies
- you are a CIV genius (even the harder levels will be too easy)
- you think you're buying something like Rome: Total War

5.0 out of 5 stars Great version for the Console., 15 Jun. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The other reveiws pretty much cover my thoughts on the game. I'm a PC veteran & agree that the easy 'chieftain' level of play can be skipped by those who have played the game before on the PC or those who laready know the control buttons on the gamepad. I've played three games on the easy level and the longest I played, winning via the space race achievement, was 3 hours. (on the old PC version this would of taken days for me to do)

I don't know what this RTS/realtime concept is, like Command & Conquer? Civ Rev plays via game turns just like the PC & Playstation versions - you can take as long or as quick as you like to work through the years. This was a quick concern I had when I couldn't grasp the meaning from reviews on other websites etc., but thankfully it plays via the old 'I-go-you-go' method like most boardgames.

Enjoyable so far. Hopefully, when I get onto the harder difficulty levels the games will last longer - I couldn't help myself I had to obliterate the Xbox armies of archers and spearmen with my all powerful T34 Soviet tank armies :)

Last note - the ICBMs and the space shuttle launches blasting off from your cities and going off into outer space - Jaw dropping when I first saw it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Civilization Revelations..., 13 Jun. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Got my shiny new copy of Civ through the post early this morning and could not have been more excited. I've been waiting for some serious RTS/God Sim action for some time now - genres that have so far been done extremely well (in some cases) but not nearly often enough on the consoles. So now I've got my grubby little mitts on it, and although I've only just scratched the surface of some of the deeper elements after a mere 6 hours of play, I've decided to throw a little review up here on Amazon to let other potential buyers know what I think of it. So I'll give a quick point by point effort that I might edit later as I get further into it:

- Great graphics - colourful and extremely functional, everything is clear and detailed enough, but not so much as to clutter the screen and obscure the playing field.

- Control System is tweaked perfectly for consoles and everything flows smoothly and works perfectly. Complete control in so few buttons is a true achievement.

- Nice new additions and old faves combine to make a great addition to the Civ universe. Grouping three units to form armies is great and I've enjoyed perusing the vast encyclopaedia. Also the globe style map is a nice touch and filled with exciting stuff to discover, and the numerous ways to complete the scenarios are well thought out.

- Difficulty settings are well implimented and have a nice learning curve that encompasses Civ Veterans and Newcomers alike - although playing entirely on easy could severely cut into longevity; nice enough to get back into the swing of things but then I knocked it up a notch to get the most out of it.

- The Technology tree is full of nice touches and provides some truly great buildings and units to muck around with - it's great to see how modern units fair against archers and knights.

So there we have it, if you love god games and their ilk then you'll be engrossed from the get go. The only thing that'll keep you off it is the promise of summer sun - but we all know that can be a short lived thing here in good old blighty so you could be glued to this for some time to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, but understand the negative reviews, 11 Feb. 2009
chuckles "barnie884" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This may seem like a very middle of the road review, but that's where this game sits for me. On the positive side, this is a game which you can play over and over again on the various difficulty levels, and with a lot of downloadable content (much of it free) it gives you an excellent variety of extra scenarios and wonders. On the negative side, it had dumbed down considerably on the similar PC games, with much less customisation and variety. For me though, I think that it works well like that.... I find that certain games like command and conquer, football manager and alike work best on PC, and arcade games much better on consoles. Therefore to make a game like this work well still on the console I think is quite clever..... been playing it lots recently. At the low price I think this is well worth 4 stars, maybe would have only got 3 stars at £40

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back!, 14 Sept. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I think this game is excellent. I used to play the earlier civilization games on the pc when i was younger and have really enjoyed this game. yes for hardcore gamers you may not have the epic 8 hour games on here, it is more like 3, which i find is plenty of time now i am older and leading a busier life. although it feels so quick, it is very easy to get lost in the moment. The controls for the xbox are simple which is good if like me you find the hardest thing about a game struggling to remember which button does what! There is enough choice to play this game plenty of times and can be enjoyed by all ages. Definately worth buying!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Civ Rev is an odd game. Odd but good, try before you buy., 15 April 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
First go: Rubbish.
Second go: Great fun.
Third go onwards: odd.

The gameplay at the start of each game is quick, simple, fun and fairly easy (obviously depending on what difficulty you play at). However as the game goes on, the gameplay can become slow, complicated and repetitive.
I imagine that on harder difficulties the gameplay will improve as the AI will make more intelligent decisions and provide more of a challenge, but this is what i have experienced so far.

The game is funny, and seems to gently take the mickey out of itself with the actions of the world leaders you meet and your advisors. Some of the parts of the games are genuinely very good, and provide new dimensions to your gameplay, which expands the life of the game a huge amount.

I fully recommend you download the demo before you buy this game, it's not expensive, but it may save you some money if you don't like it and can't sell it on.

Hope my review helps you.
James.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty awesome stuff!, 1 Sept. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been a great fan of this game for the PC from the beginning. I was concerned when I found out that it was coming out for the 360 coz i thought that they might destroy it!

First impressions weren't great to be honest. I loved how in the old games there were loads options to customize the game, so you could really play what you wanted. I loved setting the AI as less aggressive and having long political games, but in this game there are no options really.

Then I played the game. Loved the graphics. All the characters looked great and the cities looked pretty awesome. When you get to the game play it must be said that this is a watered down version of the PC game, but that's whats good about it. If I want an intensive week on this game alone I will use the computer. This I can have a awesome game and complete it in a couple of hours. The controls are also very simple and easy to use.

I have been addicted to this game on the 360. If your expecting the old civ, then this isnt it. This is a great alternative if you dont fancy a full civ game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only for the novice, 17 Jun. 2008
Dan Griffiths "Dan" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Well I too preordered this game, couldn't wait as I have been a fan of the 'sids' games for years. At first I was impressed, great grapghics intuitive interface (although a little clumsy trying to deselct units) and a version of my favourite type of game I could play slouched on the sofa not bent over a keyboard. So I sat down at 12 noon as I had a day off work and thought i would play at King level to start, but to my dismay had it finsihed by 10pm and was utterly dissapointed.
As said earlier in previous reviews the map is tiny, the developement of the tech far too quick (you never really get the chance to use half the units as time moves so fast, I had gunpowder rifles and before my first unit was used had tanks and aircraft.
I thought I would try on a harder level but the logic of the higher levels seems to be to just make the opposition win battles consistently when the odds are against them wherear the old Civ I loved was about size and oponents.
This game will be great for the novice, someone who wants to try his hand at Strategy but for me they should have allowed those of us more used to the old games the option to ramp up the map, complicate the tech tree and micro manage to our hearts content.
So in short, if an avid Civ fan be very careful before you buy, if new to the genre this is an ideal entry level game. Me I am praying for an update.
If I could sum it up this is Draughts (chequers to the US readers) against Chess, same board but a lot simpler.
(still never been a console strategy game as good as the old Atari Eastern Front)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun but without playing online it is short lived., 1 July 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
that line should tell you much of what you need to know. It is a really good fun strategy game, the graphics are very good it is a slick production all round. The gameplay is simplified slightly from the PC originals and as a result the gameplay is that much faster. As a single pklayer game it is often a bit too short but the game duration is great for online battles. sort of like a more complex version of chess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Play it online, 26 Jun. 2008
P. Garnham (U.K) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I agree to some degree with some of the other reviewers who say that its not civ as we know it to be. The Pc game is extremly engaging ,complex ,indepth game that can take days to play and years to master. This new version is different to that game but still retains the addictive nature(one more turn!!) and thought provoking nature of its predecesors.
FOr one its a consel game designed and aimed at a new generation of players and the best part of it..... you can play it online with other players from all over the world. I have its great fun and it does'nt take days to complete a game only 3-4 hours.
I love Civ 4 and Beyond the sword (There is a new Pc game for the civ veterans coming out in September I have read on there web site) but Revolutions is a revelation, play it online its great fun!!

Sid Meier's Civilization: Revolution (Xbox 360)
Sid Meier's Civilization: Revolution (Xbox 360) by Take 2 Interactive (Xbox 360)