5.0 out of 5 stars Superb modem
I do not normally post but I cannot believe the low rating on this product, nor some of the incorrect comments made by some of the posters, who I believe do not really understand what they need to do to get up and running. I saw the low rating before purchasing but I had also seen that PCPro had used this modem when testing the E4200 router, which I also bought. If it is...
Published on 19 Nov 2011 by Peter Campbell

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems with this modem
I bought this modem for the be unlimited static IP UK DSL internet. I found the modem was very difficult to configure. Be unlimited was not in the providers dropdown list in the modem configuration screen. When I finally got it working with some info provided from be unlimited it only worked for 1 or 2 days at a time before malfunctioning and losing the configuration. I...
Published on 1 Oct 2010 by dmbristol

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Modem in the World, 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
I bought this box to pair with an Asus RT N66U, one of the new 802.11ac dual band routers (I wanted better Wireless distribution in the house for streaming HD video from a NAS)I carefully recorded all of the settings of the Dlink 2740R which had served me faithfully for some years. Plus I investigated all the settings advised for ADSL2+ by O2 (my ISP) which I know from previous issues is a non standard ISP in terms of connection.

I have been a fan of DLink over many years having had great service from a DAP 1160, first to give an old Netgear router a Wireless interface and lately as a bridge to the 2740R from another part of the house. So naturally when it came to a choice of modem, it was a "no brainer", despite the somewhat varied reviews on here. Something I hasten to add would normally put me of purchasing. However in this case I went ahead as I understand networks and networking reasonably well.

The long and the short of it is an entire weekend spent fruitlessly trying to make this "doorstop" make an ADSL connection. Oh the lights come on, but there is no one at home. Fundamentally it does not have a dynamic IP option only PPPPoA/E, static and bridged. The bridged over LLC does VPI 0 VCI 101 is configurable but does not work despite what O2 and my old settings say that that is what is required. I will not bore you with all the other things I tried including disabling the firewalls in the desktop and in the router, upgrading the firmware etc etc etc . It did not work with a router or without, in the same subnet as the desktop or an in-line router, or in a different one.

Take the advice of someone who understands IP Routing and bridging, this box does not work. DLink support is non existent on the matter and more detailed internet research reveals an army of threads all culminating in failure. There is no solution , it is a complete dud, certainly with O2 as an ISP and probably BE as well. I do not know about other ISPs and do not care! Do not buy this box unless you require a doorstop or a paper weight, which coincidently it is also useless as it is not heavy enough.

I have not bothered to send it back as it is about to give me the only piece of satisfaction it will ever give. It is to be placed in a vice and ceremoniously crushed! Off to buy a Draytek Vigor 120.

Update
Got the Vigor 120. worked first time out of the box total setup time was 2 minutes. Just what a modem should be. In future this is a Dlink free household! Lesson for DLink, it takes years to build a reputation but only a day to lose it. In their case forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars DSL 320B Ethernet Modem, 15 April 2011
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
Having acquired a laptop with windows 7 64bit I found that the driver for my previous USB modem was incompatible with it. This unit was the answer. Being an ethernet modem it requires no driver to be installed in the computer & will therefore work with any operating system so long as the machine has a LAN/WAN socket & an internet browser. The modem will handle ADSL traffic at 8,20 & 24 Mb/s as it is an ADSL2 modem. Setting up the modem is done by communicating with it by entering an IP address (given in the instructions) into the internet browser in the computer which brings up the modem's log-in screen (user name & password also given in the instructions). After log on you are taken through the set-up proccess, no technical knowledge is required, you simply select your country & ISP & the required settings are pre-installed so they are done for you. No need to worry about VPI etc. The full instructions are on an included disc in PDF format. All necessary cables & ADSL filters are provided.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 13 Nov 2010
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
My Netgear Router failed so I tried using this device. It appeared to connect but loaded web pages incredibly slowly.

I talked to technical support at Talk Talk and they were unable to determine that this product did not work properly.

Later that day I tried the spare Thomson Router sent me by Tiscali. Bingo. Perfect internet.

At least the Netgear indicated it had failed.

It now appears there is a firmware update to make it work. D_Link should be ashamed of themselves for putting out a product that does not work.

Do not buy this product. It is bloody awful!

3.0 out of 5 stars The picture is wrong, 15 Sep 2010
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
Neat little unit seems to work OK but the picture shown is NOT a DSL-320B but a DSL-320B (all black to latest spec) arrived!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this modem - and be wary of D-Link generally, 12 Jan 2011
G Mojay - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
I concur with the conclusion of RezisluhA in his review of 27 Jun 2008 - "This model is utterly incompatible with airport extreme and airport express. No one can make this unit work on a mac." I'm an experienced Mac user who, after two days of trying, still couldn't make the D-Link DSL-320B work with my MacBook Pro and Airport Extreme. Finally giving up, I replaced it with a different modem which worked immediately.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a truly horrible bit of kit!, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
I read the odd good review for this thing and having set up a number of ADSL modems over the years, thought I could overcome the problems that had floored others, boy was I wrong!

This modem has stolen a fair chunk of my life which I will never get back! When not in full bridging mode it appears to work in a sort of half bridge, transfering the external ISP issued IP address to the connected device along with DNS IPs. HOwever the gateway IP is the default IP of the device, 192.168.1.1, even if you reset it to, in my case 10.0.0.2. This sort of works if you only have one Windows computer connected with DHCP running. Connecting a router (Cisco WRT610) was a hopeless effort though, could not get it to work in any way. Have gone back to my ancient D-Link DSL-500. Interestingly I ran a speed test on the DSL-320 with a PC connected directly, the DSL-320 showed a speed of 3.5Mb/S, the DSL-500 showed just over 8 Mb/S, I really have to wonder why D-Link bothered with the developement of this thing. It will be returned as fast as I can kick it all the way back to Amazon (and I will take satisfaction in doing it). For a more in depth description the issues this modem exhibits [...] they are uncannily similar to my experiences, I just wish I had seen them first!

1.0 out of 5 stars Another awful Dlink device, 20 July 2013
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
I really wonder why DLink bother, over the years every DLink device I've come across is flakey and unreliable.

This beauty got stuck with DHCP disabled, and refused to re-enable it. It would neither reset with the reset button nor update through the UI, tried multiple browsers. The DHCP settings were sane, no error, no warning, just no update. I've just thrown mine away to prevent anyone else wasting time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for long lines, 9 July 2013
C. S. Ward (Skye, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
I had my router configured to be a pppoe modem, not acting as a router. I have three phone lines and used three of the devices all connected to a separate router. I have no idea how these perform when used as routers.

My line is quite long, five miles, attenuation 63.5 dB but has fairly low noise all considered.

The Dlinks were a real disappointment compared to the Zyxel modems I was using before. The Zyxels were 30-50% faster, and I had constant irritating problems with web sites appearing to freeze while you were trying to fetch a page.

The main reason I gave these devices a try is that if you are using PPPoE, you can use an MTU of 1500 with these modems if used in combination with other suitable hardware. (Look up ‘MTU’ in Wikipedia if you aren't familiar with this term.) They might be worth considering if your line is short and you are willing to risk around 20 on one of these.

Anyway, for just about everyone, avoid like the plague.

1.0 out of 5 stars Much disappointing, 25 Oct 2011
Luigi D'Argenzio "Luigi" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
Before buying this "modem" I had a very opinion of d-link and their products. My old d-link gateway has lasted for ages and was still working when I decided to upgrade for improving my wireless coverage.
After a bit of online searching i decided to buy a this "modem" and to couple it with a Netgear Range Max Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router instead of buying a single products, as this combination offered all the features I was looking for (dual band, N wireless, reliability, etc).

Needless to say that in 2011, if you buy a "modem" like this one, the only requirement you look for is the possibility to connect to internet, while the router manages all the intranet connections and the wireless. That's exactly the reason because I bought this item.

Strangely enough, this "modem" connects to internet out of the box and very easly, and it also allow the router to connect to the internet but then none of the computers that connect to the router have an access to the net.

At the beginning, I though it was a problem with the router and after consulting with the support helpdesk, they also suggested to send the latter back and get a new one. Same problem with the second one as well. At this point I bought a Cisco-Linksys Maximum Performance E4200 Dual-Band N Router and again I had the same problem. I then found out it was a problem with this "modem", which is NOT a modem but a router, with 1 ethernet port. It does not even work in bridge mode, as it is not able to convert from PPPoA to PPPoE... At the end I had to buy a DrayTek Vigor 120 - DSL modem - external - Fast Ethernet, much more expensive but it connected my router straight out of the box without even having to access the setting page of the modem!

To summarize, I spent more than 300 to have my home networking up and running as well as about 40 days of trouble. The only reason to buy this item is if you have got 1 computer to connect to internet via cable and you don't want/need any wireless at home!!

4.0 out of 5 stars un-packing, 19 July 2012
This review is from: D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK (Electronics)
when un-packing modem i found the sticky tape which had been put over the rear connection holes very hard to remove in one piece.however modem was very easy to set up after i found out that two modems cannot be connected to the same line and switched on at the same time, one of which is an extra socket in bedroom.