5.0 out of 5 stars Does a 1st class job
Published on 27 Jun 2011 by M. R. Owens

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective but distressing
Effective but does not always kill.
Wingless flies crawling about.
Even worse the zap sound terrifies our dog.
We had to stop using it due to the distress caused.
It needs to be away form food areas, family and pets.
Published 11 months ago by 5 string bassist

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a 1st class job, 27 Jun 2011
M. R. Owens "M.Owens" (Berkshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Pro Zap 30W Ultra Violet Indoor Fly Zapper Insect Killer Pest Control
I am very impressed with this unit. Does the job of zapping any flying insects very well and it catches flies ! It does make a bit of noise when it zap's the insect and you do get some 'smoke' with larger moths. I have this in my living room and it catches everything. The only negative point is the mains lead is not very long (approx 1 metre) so if your hoping to site this high up you may have a problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zzzt! Another one bites the dust., 7 Jun 2013
A Cactus "Andy Cactus" (NW UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
[2014 update]: original tubes still going strong, however replacement tubes that fit mine (ordered, delivered & I have tested) for when they fail: 30 watt Fly Zapper Fly killer UVA Tube Pack of 2 Bulbs.
Note that my model as reviewed below is all light grey (no beige) , with grey plastic sides with rounded top corners when viewed from front, labelled on top front EG100338 with front facing switch at top left. I say this because stock and product picture seems to vary to older versions through the season.

I live near farm land and leaving the kitchen door open in results in the inevitable flying beasts who refuse to leave by the way they came in or the open window just nanometers away. Killer sprays: the smell of them is enough to put me off using in a food area. They smell like they are extremely toxic to humans let alone flies. Im more physics than chemistry. However whacking with rolled up Magazine is more of an art and actually my kill per minute stats are not good.

Electrons are more my style. Always wanted one of these electrocution devices and had only ever seen the small plastic cylinder or lantern type devices often on sale which on reading the customer reviews you learn they are not up to the task.

Then there are these bigger hang-up rectangular "chip shop / takeaway" type exterminators. Yes. One of those please. Only problem I have with them is they look like something from the 1950s. However this one is a bit of an improvement on those, maybe 1980-1990s industrial design, but still not School of Johnny Ives. Could be better. Minus half a star.

I took the plunge on this 30W unit (the power of the UV attraction tubes that lure the insects and not the kill power) and the actual consumption of power I measured was indeed at about 30.2W using a plugin usage monitor. That's just under 3/4 of a unit of electricity per 24hrs. You work your own tariff out but that's of the order of 10p a full day, give or take (2013 UK).

I was worryingly excited when it arrived (Prime: ordered Friday pm came Saturday am) double boxed and in perfect order. The price point seemed perfect too. Put it in the kitchen, switched on. Zzzzt! first kill in under a minute. New home entertainment. You don't have to watch. Just the sound which can be heard from other rooms is enough to raise a cheer. Five stars of entertainment right there.

The key to success is the insects being attracted by the UV tubes in the zapper vs anything else in the world that delivers UV. The sun will always win this power battle, indeed I find the unit works best when the sun is not directly shining into the room. So bear that in mind and plan your deployment and on off times.

It is also making short work of the fungus gnats that have taken up residence in my windowsill herbs. Amazed these small black dots of flies also get caught by the high voltage bars too. Seems to have broken the life cycle without the need of chemistry.

If you have mischievous children by the way put it somewhere out of reach.

Fortunately mine have grown and I can use a handy window ledge in the utility zone away from the food and washing up part of the kitchen and there is a free socket close by. So it stands there without using the metal chain. Most flies and moths fall down on to an internal shallow removable tray (about 41x6cm) but caution: you will get a body scatter in and around the kill zone so don't hang it up over your food prep or draining board area or you will get an interesting salad dressing or decoration on your cutlery or clean laundry.

Actually the tray on mine which is simply an injection moulded plastic tray is a bit warped: it is slightly curved upwards along the length as a result it does not sit flat. In practice its not a showstopper but an obvious visual manufacturing quality issue which could have been easily been addressed which is minus half a star. Also note if you have this installed with the on off switch on the front you will need at least 45cm of space to the left of the unit to pull out this tray.

I can imagine some people will have issues having this out on display in their showhome dwelling because it is still a bit industrial and sinister looking but if you are bothered by flying insects the payback is worth it.

So until Cupertino designs the polished glass iZap with an iOS App giving updates and twitter feed on the latest body count this is the one to go for. Your only task is to find a UV tube supplier as some report the ones shipping with the unit don't last, just like the seemingly part filled ink tanks in a new printer. Seems to be a few on Amazon. (see update2014)

Zzzt! Love the sound. Satisfying. Entertaining. Sick I know. Can you buy more flies on Amazon?

4.0 out of 5 stars Another bug bits the dust!, 3 Oct 2011
Bought this because I was fed up of flys in the kitchen bothering my dog. She spent far too much time trying to catch them and jumping up and down. This does work well. There is a satisfying zap when it kills an insect. Another one bites the dust by Queen aways comes to mind for some stange reason.
The only down side is that it looks very industrial.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT FOR KEEPING YOUR HOUSE CLEAR OF FLIES ETC., 8 Mar 2010
FRANKL FAN (High Wycombe UK) - See all my reviews
We bought this last year to keep down the fly and mosquito population in our house in summer. We have left it on permanently throughout the summer and the winter too. In short, it works perfectly! When you turn the house lights off at night and retire to bed, all the flying insects are attracted to the blue light and it's nice to know that they are "zapped" humanely. Would definitely recommend it as a simple solution to an annoying problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 17 Jun 2013
It is a good way of controlling flies in your kitchen, no nasty chemicals. However, it can be slow to work. Not all flies seem drawn to it. It is great for midges, who are drawn to it immediately and in Scotland that is a great plus. I would reccommend it, but don't expect the results to be instant. It is not pretty,but it is practical. I am thinking about another one for the hallway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fly insect killer, 1 July 2010
Excellent product for it's size. Find it is keeping down fly control in the kitchen, which helps in the reduction of fly sprays. It's located in a dim area attracting more then if put in a lighter area. The remote control I don't use often as the location is at a reachable height but may be good if suspended higher I guess. Delivery was very quick and would recommend the company HSD online service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just as it should, 11 May 2011
This is the best fly control zapper killer thing I have come across. We have this one in our kitchen and it zaps constantly throughout the day and at night. It 'caught' about 40 in it's first day. The first zapper for our kitchen by another maker (which I returned) caught 1 in 4 days.

We leave it on all day and all night, it works just as well during daylight hours as it does at night.

We also have this the 16w version in our living room and it has made such a noticeable difference. We have been inundated with fruit flies because of a crop failure nearby and they were a real pain in the posterior. We no longer have any problems at all.

I would highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy until., 5 Sep 2013
Mr. Steven Aldred "Steve A" (Yeovil. UK.) - See all my reviews
This fly killer has worked fine until now after 9 months one of the tubes has blown (It happens) and i ordered a replacement from Amazon which was linked to the original listing. Unfortunately these tubes are not the right ones (Too small). So fly killer works fine but make sure that when you order replacement tubes (and you will need to) you order the right ones, not the 12 inch tubes linked to the listing.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT, 18 April 2012
Well this thing really works and it actually looks a lot better than the photo.
I put it up in the loft, suspended by the chain it was supplied with and we haven't had a wasp or fly come down from there since. It costs very little to run, I suppose you could put it into a timer plug if you wanted to reduce the running cost by just having it on so many hours a day. It has a very easy empty tray and in all it's quite a smart looking piece of killing machinery. I highly recommend it and will be ordering another to take to Spain and save myself from the mosquitos.

4.0 out of 5 stars works really well, cord too short, 8 Nov 2011
We live by a wood and are really bothered by flies in the summer. We use fly tape etc but they are horrible things to look at. My idea was to put this fly eliminater on top of the cupboard units where it wont be in direct view however the cord is so short that it has to sit right beside the socket so is now on our window sill in direct view. It works fantastically and really solves our fly problem but its not the sort of thing i want sitting there.