on 28 July 2009
I'd heard a lot of great stuff about the Pacemaker from DJ friends, so when it arrived, I couldn't wait to get the box open. The packaging itself was pretty cool - all black and sleek with photos of mysterious Day-Glo-coloured people in various states of repose, wearing headphones. Once I slid the outer sleeve off and got down to the inner chamber, there she was, nestled snugly in a bed of black foam.

The build quality is chunky and solid, but not heavy, with two circular features on the front - one is the screen and the other the touchpad. (When I flipped it over I found the following message in tiny letters: "All rights reserved - All wrongs reversed". I knew I had stumbled onto something cool). Imagine an iPod with a 60 GB memory and built-in decks and effects... that's the Pacemaker.

After a couple of days, I was pretty much hooked. I should point out at this stage that I have never Deejayed before in my life. Set-up was really easy (there are eight tracks already pre-loaded into the memory). Two buttons in the centre of the player represent the two `decks' with a touch-sensitive slider underneath for crossfading/mixing between the decks. There's also a handy button on the side that enables you to pull in a whole load of other effects and controls when you use the touchpad. Two further buttons allow you to forward and rewind the tracks. When the rewind button is used in conjunction with the side button, you can create loops - just like a proper DJ!

Among other things, the touchpad lets you control the treble, mid, bass, gain, echo, roll, hi/lo cut.

I found that after prolonged play with my new toy, I was discovering new functionality including a reverse loop (yes, you can play your beats backwards!)

One of the great things about Pacemaker is that as you get more adept at it, you can save your session and play it back by plugging into the PA/speaker system at your next party/barbecue, which I did with some measure of success! (If you're feeling brave enough, you can upload your mix onto the Pacemaker website).

I'd love to continue writing this, but my new toy beckons... buy one and you'll see what I mean...
on 18 January 2012
Pretty damn cool! That's all I can say. Has some amazing effects and you can actually do some impressive beat matching (both auto and manual) at a party on this little device, all whilst putting on some very very cool sound effect filters.

Although Tonium has closed down, as mentioned by one commentator, the firmwares are still around if you want to update it etc... follow the guides here:
[...]

All in all, this product is awesome and just works!
Also looks amazing and has great build quality. People are always amazed when they see it in action, always asking where they can get one.

Nick
on 19 January 2011
I can't DJ using vinyl or CD but I've been collecting minimal techno and house MP3s for the last 5yrs so have built up quite a collection of tracks.... On purchasing the Pacemaker I was suddenly able to "mix" all of these tracks I had been hoarding away. This tool is great fun, relatively simple to use and great to turn up to parties with and hook into the soundsystem. Can't recommend enough.
on 19 October 2009
I use this as a 3rd deck,a backup in case anything goes wrong with my main decks,its a nice little tool to have around,looks great too.
on 18 December 2013
One of the best gadgets I've ever bought. There are MP3 players out there but none with the capabilities and the style of this thing.
on 17 June 2011
Im a DJ and have always wanted to own a pacemaker, i found one at a great price so jumped in and brought it.

So not disapointed, takes a bit of getting used to but when you do its hours of fun, you can even connect it you your main decks.
on 28 January 2012
Absolutely amazing except my Pacemaker Editor doesn't exist on my device, so i need help so i can add music to what is now an empty mixing monster...

Please help

Regards

Oli
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2009
i've always wanted to mix , but didn't have the patience to beat match the tracks, the pacemaker does it all for me.that's it. awesome !!!
on 16 February 2010
I've been DJing for 16 years firstly using vinyl then onto cd decks (cdj 1000mk2) and being into gadgets i was aware of the pacemaker but was dubious to it's DJing capabilities.
My other half bought me one of these for my birthday and i have to say i'm impressed, 10min's working out all the buttons and i was away and to be honest it's easier to mix with than my first pair of cd decks (cdj 100's).
The jog function on the touch pad is just the right sensitivity unlike some cd decks which can be over sensitive and make it difficult to make fine adjustments.
I like the pacemaker so much i'm going to use it to mix at a full on Psy Trance gig
on 7 January 2015
Just the job - and turned up quickly too. Very happy buyer :o)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse