5.0 out of 5 stars Concrete fence post extraction helper
Published on 9 Mar 2011 by Stan Bradshaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Where do I start?
This is a product that I could easily rate 1* or 5*. I now have it working, and it works beautifully, apart from the fact that the rope occasionally gets twisted, but that may be the way I have set it up..I have no idea if I have set it up correctly because there are no instructions, but more about that in a mo............

So, the fact I have a working pulley...
Published 12 months ago by Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Concrete fence post extraction helper, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg (Automotive)
I bought this pulley set to assist in the removal of seven 2.1m (L) x 100mm section concrete posts that had been holding my back garden fence up for more than 36 years. A modern day slotted post weighs in the region of 45kg and with the attached concrete foundations, the total must have been close to 100kg. Once each post had been broken free of the soil by means of two hydraulic bottle jacks,Silverline 427711 2 Tonne Hydraulic Bottle Jack; I was able to lift the post clear of the hole, using the pulley set tied to the top rungs of an aluminium ladder, arranged over the hole forming an `A' frame. The pulley set performed beautifully, although Health and Safety might have had something to say about my `A' frame (needs another person to hold the ladder). The pulley set comes with two elongated links, which can be used to facilitate attachment of chain, rope etc. to the pulley fittings. Tips - when lifting heavy items, as the rope is too slim for hands to grip directly, it can be wrapped around a suitable piece of wood to use as a handle. Also when pulling the top and bottom pulley sets back together after use, it helps to keep them under a small amount of tension to prevent tangles occurring. This is an incredibly useful piece of equipment at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power to your elbow., 6 Jun 2010
This review is from: Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg (Automotive)
I bought two of these to assist with hauling some replacement PVC window frames up to first-floor level, for installation. The first frame, which measured 8ft X 4ft, was easily handled by just one of these hoists. I have not yet installed the second, slightly larger, frame (10ft X 4ft), but I am sure that two hoists will deal with it comfortably.
One point to bear in mind is that, although the amount of cord supplied seems generous, it does have to make seven trips between the upper set of pulleys and the lower set (down - up, down - up, down - up, and then down for pulling). This effectively limits the maximum lifting height to about 3 metres. Even allowing for this, the pulleys are good value, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulley set, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg (Automotive)
Fantastic piece of equipment. It has solved the problem of moving heavy items into and out of my loft.
I wish I had known about it years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cargo Pulley Does the job, 21 Sep 2011
KenR (Warrington, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg (Automotive)
I had to lift a Myford 7 Lathe (very heavy) out of a shed and transport it by car to my home. I bought the Silverline cargo pulley based on previous reviews and was not disappointed. The 6:1 ratio allowed my wife to lift and hold the Myford whilst I removed its supporting table, she then lowered it onto a trolley and we used the pulley to lift the Myford into the car boot using two ladders and a cross beam. The pulley comes complete with two lifting rings and I would recommend buying a couple of snap hooks for quick release. I am sure I will find many more uses for it, e.g. lifting items into the garage loft for storage. Great product at a great price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where do I start?, 26 Sep 2013
Martin (North West, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg (Automotive)

So, the fact I have a working pulley system that lifts heavy loads, with little effort into the attic in my garage for just a few £s, is amazing value + the great fast delivery I would normally expect from Amazon. That is how I could easily award this 5*s

The problem is getting to this point and an important point for potential buyers is that is comes with no instructions, no pictures of how it should look when its working, not even an on-line downloadable set of instructions from silverline's website (at least I couldn't find it), I have never installed a pulley before, so could have done with some assistance.

I couldn't even find any comparable products to give me some idea. I eventually typed in "pulley system" into google and looked at the images there. I completely unthreaded the mass of tangled rope (which is how it arrived), and then set it up as best I could to match what I saw in the picture from a web search. With a few further tweaks and a bit of trial and error, I have it working!!

Thankfully, I persisted - but was close to giving up and chucking it in the bin......but glad i didn't. So this could have easily ended up as 1*. I have compromised and given it 3*

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, maybe I'm not the worlds greatest DIYer or problem solver, so these issues may just be me, as there are plenty of reviews of this product with no mention of installation issues. But whatever, surely there is space on the back of the package to show me a picture of what this looks like working, and a few bullet points on installation tips would be a bonus! It would have saved me a few hours of frustration...to be honest would have been more than willing to pay double the price for a picture and instructions!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite serviceable, 9 Nov 2011
R. C. Palmer (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg (Automotive)
First of all thank you for a rapid delivery - about 3 days only.

I wanted this pulley to hoist an old (and absolutely huge) CRT monitor into the loft for storage. It weighed a ton and I slipped a disc a couple of years ago, so must be careful what I lift and how etc.

The pulley is basic but in fairness it does the job nicely, and is robust enough for most home purposes, but is not very heavy duty or professional quality.

My task involved some extremely careful fixing of hooks plus extra ropes and attachement cords to make sure everything was strong and secure. Next I climbed into the loft and slowly and steadily started hoisting. All went well but the polypropolene cords did tend to twist round for no apparent reason ! I was able to hold the pulley rope with one hand and pull the monitor towards me with another when it was high enough though. The 6:1 mechanical advantage seemed about right.

Job done after no more than ten minutes and much care and forethought. You cannot lose your concentration ! Previous reviewers are right - wear thick gloves.

A worthy addition to anyone's garage, boat or storeroom. Good to know you have it even if you only use it quite seldom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Silverline Pulley Set, 7 Aug 2011
This review is from: Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg (Automotive)
Great value for money from Amazon. Just the light weight pulley set I needed. Take care when putting the pulley set away ready for next use, it is easy to tangle if care isn't taken. (Just like any other)

5.0 out of 5 stars pulley system, 30 Mar 2010
Rodney James Stuart (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg (Automotive)
I have a tree that needed to be pulled upright after a storm. It was too heavy to pull with a rope direct, but with the pulley system it worked perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Nov 2012
Pure excellence.
I can't express how useful this has been. It has kept my back in tact and given me the confidence to do what I had been planning to do for years but shied away from due to a lack of help. It's like having a team if helpers.
The price makes it a steal

3.0 out of 5 stars Good pulley, poor service, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg (Automotive)
The pulley system seems fine and up to the job however the rope was frayed when I received it. The company make it complicated to complain and return the product. The rope would cost more to return than the actual product and the company will not pay the postage. With no guarantee assured I'll put it down to experience and buy from another supplier.

Silverline 633957 Cable Pulley Set 180kg