5.0 out of 5 stars Automatic pet feeder
Andrew James Automatic Pet Feeder / Bowl for Cats & Dogs with voice recorder
I bought this pet feeder a few months ago. We have two cats, and it is perfect for if both of us are away for the weekend. There is more than enough room in the bowls to feed both of them happily. It is well made and easy to use. We have encountered no problems at all. Def recommended.
Published on 10 Sept. 2008 by L. J. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not perfect
Lets get this straight: this is a good product and it works. Its a robust large unit with good features, but I can't give it five stars because it has a number of niggling problems:

Published on 13 May 2009 by Ant

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not perfect, 13 May 2009
Ant (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Andrew James 4 Day / Meal Automatic Pet Feeder / Bowl with voice recorder Includes 2 Volume Reducers + 1 Adapter Tray (Misc.)

1. You have to take it apart to fill it - this means prising off the lids (there are two of them) and this has to be done carefully as they are held in place by small lugs which can easily be broken off if roughly handled.

2. The process of setting the clock and the times for each feed is NOT intuitive. You have to use a combination of "mode" and "set" buttons, sometimes having to hold a button down for 2 seconds to get at a function. So dont lose the instruction manual if you haven't used it for a while - you WILL forget!

3. It doesn't include the trays to reduce the size of the feeding compartment or the trays for packaged food. These presumably have to be bought separately yet will only be plastic pieces of minimal production cost. This seems rather mean-spirited and cheap.

Now these are easily overcome if you are using the unit yourself and going away for a weekend or a couple of days - you get used to how it works and how you fill it and reprogramme it etc. HOWEVER if you have a neighbour who will drop in and reset it for you every couple of days (if you are away for a couple of weeks, say) then they have to have a training session - and make sure you leave them the manual...

Dont get me wrong, its good. Really I should give it four stars but you probably wouldn't read this if I did. I've used a rival two-feed unit that had separate clock/timers that was much easier and more flexible to set the times of feeds, but was useless as the clocks failed (on both units I had) and this is significantly better. The feature where you can record a message for your pet is great fun too - my cats arrived expectantly both when I recorded it and when I tested it - so I had to give them extra treats!

5.0 out of 5 stars Automatic pet feeder, 10 Sept. 2008
L. J. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
Andrew James Automatic Pet Feeder / Bowl for Cats & Dogs with voice recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good...., 3 Jun. 2011
I bought this to use when away for a night or two to keep my cat on his regular feeding pattern. I'm off for a few nights soon so have been testing this out for the last couple of days and so far it seems good...

- I like the sound recording option, although I hope it works better than it has done whilst we've been home as so far our kitty seems to think we're trying to trick him as he's in the bedroom with us but our voices are calling him from the kitchen. It's also loud. Loud enough to wake me at 4am. But better than having our kitty sitting on my chest meow-ing in my face for food.

- Having read the reviews I avoided taking off the lid to fill the compartments, as other reviewers have mentioned just press "start now" and it will do a full cycle, slow enough to fill each section.

- I have a Persian cat, I emailed the seller to find out whether it would be suitable for him as he generally likes to shove his face in his bowl and hoover his food up, but I was worried that this would not be possible. They offered a full refund if it did not work which was nice. Result was, as expected, it was difficult for him to get to the food towards the end so he'd use his paw. I guess it forces him to eat slower so maybe it's a good thing. That being said, I have purchased the volume reducers to see if it would be easier for him to eat from. And about that, be aware if you purchase the volume reducers there are only two provided. As another reviewer mentioned for the extortionate price charged for a small amount of plastic I would have liked one for each compartment.

- Unlike some other reviewers I actually found it pretty simple to set up the timer. The instructions are not the best especially as I only ever skim read them but I do agree that they should never be discarded.

All in all it still gets four stars. I researched heavily into pet feeders and this seemed to be the best. From an aesthetics point of view it would have been nice to have a choice of colours, but no big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Sept. 2012
09/04/2013 - Update to the review below - A massive double thumbs up to Andrew James customer services. One of the feeders developed an intermittent fault recently and wouldn't turn when it was supposed to (the other, I hasten to add, has worked perfectly since day one). This meant that one of my poor kittys was missing out on her breakfast, bless her. I called Andrew James customer services on 04/04/13 to advise them of the problem and check whether there was an easy fix or if a replacement was needed. With absolutely no quibbles or questions asked, the chap I spoke to said it looked like the unit was faulty and that he'd send me a new base unit. A brand new, complete feeder arrived THE FOLLOWING DAY. Absolutely marvellous customer service, well done Andrew James!!

Can I also allay other people's fears about the sturdiness of the lids. A few reviewers have commented that they think the lid fixings are a bit fragile and may break off so they go through the rigmarole of trying to fill the feeders as the lid turns so they don't have to remove it. Well, I've been removing and replacing the lids every day since I received my feeders 7 months ago and they're as good as new, nothing's broken off and they fit as well as they did the day I received them.

------------

Absolutely brilliant, I love these feeders. I was initially a little bothered that they'd be too big for our new kittens as the feeders are really big and rather tall and the kittens are only 10/11 weeks old and pretty tiny but I needn't have worried. The kittens could reach the bottom of the main trays with not too much trouble (I just had to make sure the food was pushed towards the outside of the trays) and the free volume reducers were a great help. Pity that they only include two reducers even though there are four trays but luckily Andrew James sell the volume reducers separately in packs of two so I bought a couple of those as well.

I was really worried about having to leave the kittens on their own all day two or three times as I didn't know how I'd be able to make sure they got their four meals a day at the right times and in the right quantities so finding these feeders was a real help. They work brilliantly and can be set to work up to four times a day, on the hour. You can either start them working immediately or there's another button to set them to start tomorrow which is what I do. This means that I don't have to set the alarm for 6am to get up and give them their first feed of the day (phew), I just pop a little bit of ice in the bottom of tray 1 the night before, put the volume reducer on top, add the food, then the lid, press the "Start Tom" button and the feeder does the rest, opening tray 1 at the right time (ours are set for 6am, 10am, 2pm and 6pm). In the morning, I can get up knowing they've had their first feed and it's still fresh thanks to the ice. I then fill up trays 2, 3 and 4 in the same way, pop the lid back on and hey presto, fresh food available all day. It's really taken away all my concerns about their feeding and it also means that I never have to worry about upsetting their routine because of changing feeding times to suit our movements. On top of that, they're ideal because they're big enough to be used when the kittens are fully grown.

All in all an excellent buy that's given me peace of mind, so I'm really glad I bought them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful design, 8 Feb. 2015
If I could have given this item no stars, I would have. I suppose it does deserve one star for the quality and style of the finish, but it fails in every other respect. The design of the product is non user friendly in every way, and one gets the feeling that the designers just made it up as they went along, adding bits of plastic here and there in an attempt to cover up the amateurish design. The programmer goes against all established norms in programmer design, which means every time you (try to) use it, you need the manual to try and fathom the settings, and to figure out how to assemble the absurd lid mechanism. Given that when you need to use the thing you are invariably rushing to be somewhere, that last thing you need is to have to sit down with a 10 page (no less) instruction manual. It's not as though I'm being thick, I can manage every other technical device without any problem whatsoever. I do believe my 7 year old son could design a more reliable and straight forward pet feeder. Lastly, and most importantly, it routinely fails to operate, leaving my poor cat hungry for days on end. This is despite double checking and triple checking it is set up correctly. The problem is that there are so many variables that can cause it to fail. I am doing the only thing that any responsible pet owner can do, putting it straight in the bin and buying a simple mechanical timer model instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars purrrfect for cats while away, 20 Jan. 2015
Once the understand of the buttons is sorted ( like setting most devices ) it's really worth it, I did an empty test for a few days to see It worked fine and I can't complain, yes it's worth it i trust it as you can't leave your pets without food if they depend on an device to feed them while you're away ! The voice memo is loud enough and my cats understand the word "chicken" well enough to know it means food, but the sound of it rotating was enough to get there attention! I use dry food for this and they have a water fountain to make sure they have everything they need. Worth buying 100%
It's 12" wide so holds lots of food enough for my 3 cats with some left over

4.0 out of 5 stars REALLY GOOD!... HERES A FEWS TIPS TO LOOK AT BEFORE YOU BUY:, 4 Aug. 2014
After reading all the reviews I decided I would go for it and purchase this for my cat. I am very glad I did. It is just what I was looking for and it seems most auto cat feeders have positive and negative reviews and so you just have to go for it and I think this one is best. Things you must know though before you buy this are:
1. its quite big (understandable as it has to feed your dog/cat for four days)
2. Basically there are four trays and there is an option when you set it for when each tray will turn so you cat can get its food. It says 1:1 (so tray one and the second one it the time you want it to turn) then 2:1 ,3:1 and 4:1. the second 1 is 24 hour so you can set for 2 in the morning or 14 in the afternoon . Please not it only does hours so you cant set it for 8:30etc.
3. If you are buying this for a cat you must get the reducing size dishes as the original bowls are too deep--- only 2 come with this machine so you have to buy the other two however they are easy to find on amazon-- they are worth it.
4. At first the instructions are hard to follow but if you concentrate very hard and look at the diagrams etc. it is not impossible. they are hard to follow as you mainly hold the SET button down for 2 secs and then press the mode to set the clock ,and the feeding times of each tray. As I said at first I was like what? but after a bit it was easier to follow. However those not good with electronics don't get this as it will be hard for you to set it up. overall it took me about 30 mins approx. to set it up... but for most it will be quicker.
5. it does come with a voice recorder which for some people will be good and I recorded a message to call my cat so he knew when it was food time but I think he would come hunting for food even without the voice recorder.
6. One of the best things about this is it has an option to START NOW or START TOMMOROW. This is very helpful .. I mainly used start now as what it does it when you press start now it rotates once around then I pull the slidy lid cover over it and then at whatever time you set it for it will rotate again at that time to tray 1.
7. There is a dish on top where you can put ice or water but I think it was awkwardly high for my cat and because its on the opposite side to the food he would have to climb over to reach it. I used my old water bowl not this one.
8. To set it up you have to pull the first two covers off gently which is a bit fiddly then you fill up the trays and then gently put he covers on again and make sure they clip into place or it doesn't work... not too hard but again could be tricky for some.
9. The slidy cover thing is NOT CAT PROOF!!! This doesnt matter as it isn't used much when it turns but I filled mine up with cat food and then pulled the slidy thing over the tray just to keep my cat out of it before I set it up (once set up the slidy thing is not used so don't not get this cos of the slidy tray) and I found him working out that he could push the slidy tray back and he was tucking into the biscuits!
10. I would recommend to buy this , the batteries and the reducing food trays all together off amazon made my life much easier.

* I read on another review that this is ment to give your cat four meals a day for one day only.. and we are starving our cats by using it to feed them over four days. Well the only thing I can say is your cat must be big and run around alot using up a lot of calories to be having these size of trays of biscuit four times a day. My cat has one of these full tray of bisuits a day and he is fine as he nibbles on it throughout the day.

Overall this is a very good cat feeder and it does the job well, if like me you were looking for a feeder to fed your cat for up to four days this really it good and once you figure how to set it up it works well and my cat love it ands he likes watching it moving round to give him his biscuits.
Thank you Andrew james for affordable good auto cat feeder!

3.0 out of 5 stars leave 4th section empty, 2 Jan. 2013
Mrs. S. A. Hancock "Su" (hampshire) - See all my reviews
we bought this to add flexibility to another feeder we have - it's great, however we have a cat who thinks food has to be eaten all in one go and she succeeded in breaking into this in no time at all. we therefore have to leave the 4th section empty as she worked out very quickly how to open the sliding cover and ate what was in there, but the rest so far appears to be secure and she has not yet beaten it it death

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, 25 Aug. 2012
We have two 3 month old kittens who, up until now, had someone in all day to look after them. We were leaving them with a sitter for a week which meant they would be left for approximately 12 hours during the day. We bought this a couple of days before leaving to get them used to eating out of it. It's quite large, so they weren't sure at first, but were eating happily out of it by the time we left. I was also suprised to see that the wet food we put in the bowl at bedtime to open at 4am was still fresh, without using the cool tray. Ours came with the adapter trays, but we're unlikely to use either of them.
The only downsides we found, as other reviewers have pointed out, is that it is a bit fiddly to set up, it uses 4 of the large batteries, so it's not cheap to run and the memory (including the clock) returns to factory settings when the base is switched off.

3.0 out of 5 stars No trays included, 3 Mar. 2009
Well made etc, but if you feed anything other than dry food, you need the optional trays. Looking for them now......