5.0 out of 5 stars As a revival album, this is no lame duck

3.0 out of 5 stars Not even a second best, yet a must-have for Animals lovers
Published 13 months ago by swampman

5.0 out of 5 stars As a revival album, this is no lame duck, 4 Mar 2006
Jason Walker (Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan) - See all my reviews
I have this album on Vinyl but, since it's in England and I'm in Japan, I thought I'd add it to my CD collection too. It's been a while since I lisented to it (maybe 8/9 years) and it was with new ears that I listened this time round. Seems even better than before. The songs are not so gutsy as the earlier Animals turnouts but I think it just reflects how the band members had mellowed by this time. Having been off doing their own things for 11 years or so they came back a little wiser, a little more laid back and self satisfied perhaps. Probably they weren't trying to make a point or prove anything with this album - they'd already done all that - and just wanted to blow the dust off a bit. I think the beauty of this album lies in the fact that the material is pretty simple and, as such, helps accentuate the genius of Alan Price's keyboards, the subtlety and finesse of Hilton Valentine's guitar work (there's some nice riffs and licks in there), the burning power of Burdon's voice, the simple yet driving base of Chandler and the earthy percussion of Steele. They get back to their bluesier and gutsier roots with a few numbers, such as 'fire on the sun', 'brother bill', 'just a little bit' and my favourite, 'the fool'. There are powerful renditions of classics - 'many rivers to cross' and Bob Dylan's unforgettable 'it's all over now, baby blue'. On these, and 'please send me someone to love', Eric Burdon's voice is at its most crystaline and gut tugging. There are a couple of songs that aren't bad but they don't grab me so much - 'riverside county' and 'as the crow flies'. Ok, but just as fillers. As a band revival album I reckon this one of the better attempts - just to say 'we're still around and we can still rock if we want'. Unfortunately, the music scene and attitudes in the UK (and the world) had changed by 1977 and this album didn't really get the acclaim that it should have, and kind of got buried and forgotten quite quickly. Shame. I think it has a kind of subtle yet solid, almost legendary sound and should be remembered along with the earlier material the band produced. Their later album 'Ark', which they made in 1983, doesn't have the same impact (aside from a few songs it doesn't really say 'we're the Animals at all) but, it's listenable. BWWSRI is well worth adding to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album but Short in Liner Notes, 2 Aug 2009
J. lorenzo (Mexico Df, DF Mexico) - See all my reviews
I Like Very Much the Music on this Album I owned the Original LP,and Now I am Able to have it in CD, my only Complain is the Liner Notes wich give a Good History on the Animals but Fell Short on details about this Album,it's only suggested that the Animals recorded it because of the Money and not much Else (I'm Surprised because the Liner Notes were written by Chris Welch )there's no Information on the Session and How was it Possible to reunite Alan Price and Eric Burdon in the Same Room after all the bitter Feelings in regard to The "House of The Rising Sun" Royalties and other Problems between Them and The Rest of The Band.
The Digipack is Nice and some of The Photographs in the Booklet are very good and The Music is SUPERB,EXCELLENT.

4.0 out of 5 stars We got out of the place, then came back and reformed for a bit, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Before We Were Rudely Interrupted (Audio CD)
First review on this site is good. I look at it a bit differently. The original Animals were a product of Geordie. The return of this 1977 outfit was looking back to those early days with more variety of experience. So this works only in that the whole is professional and polished but the bite has gone. Compare "All Over Now" with "Don't Let me Be Misunderstood". The former is clean, a bit laid back. The latter, ugly and dangerous. Too much polish and not enough spit. Having said that, it is still more than a cash in. The Animals still deliver just different style. I like the John Lee intro to "As the Crow Flies". I was disappointed by "Many Rivers To Cross", it does not add to the original. More American blues influenced than English working class. Alan Price still has a deft touch. Eric-the tonsils. Bass and drums hum and keep it ticking across. Jack up the volume and let the good times roll.

4.0 out of 5 stars love the animals love this, 1 Sep 2011
Mr. James Mcmurdo "dvdangerous" (edinburgh scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before We Were Rudely Interrupted (Audio CD)
bought the album years ago so now glad to have the disc great sounds. a must for all animal lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars meeta all expectations, 15 Aug 2013
Arrived on time was in the condition as advertised and I like listening to it. Well done all including the Animals

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Before We Were Rudely Interrupted (Audio CD)
Plain Rock at his best. The piano solo on Please Send Me Someone To Love is awsome. And then there's Eric's voice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not even a second best, yet a must-have for Animals lovers, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Before We Were Rudely Interrupted (Audio CD)
Personnally I couldn't care less about collecting each and everything an artist has recorded. But this CD is indeed a must for anyone who still likes and listens to The Animals, Truly enough, a few tracks are fillers, but the rest is well worth listening to, once you've played their early records yet again and you find you still want some more. The same goes for "Ark" in my opinion, though these two CDs only seem to have Eric's voice in common.

ARRAY(0xa6a5fee8)

Before We Were Rudely Interrupted
Before We Were Rudely Interrupted by The Animals (Audio CD - 2008)