4.0 out of 5 stars Am I the Only One
I never read the book as I've tried reading Dan Brown before and find his writing somewhat laboured.

The film however (when not compared to the book) was simply a good mystery yarn.

The special effects were nicely done and I have to say that I loved the incidental music by Hans Zimmer.

Maybe not for the purist historian but for a couple of...
Published on 10 Jan 2008 by D. Paterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a visual accompaniment to the book
Published on 8 July 2007 by Shady Tree

4.0 out of 5 stars Am I the Only One, 10 Jan 2008
D. Paterson "Davyp" (Scotland) - See all my reviews

Maybe not for the purist historian but for a couple of hours of escapism, I thought it was great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dont Let Others Put You Off - Its Still A Good Movie!, 30 May 2007
Having never read the book I cannot draw a comparison to it, however I did enjoy this movie. I thought it was visually stunning at times and a solid performance from most if not all actors involved.

The action was fast paced and you tell it was building to something but not quite sure what until all was revealed! Exactly how a movie of this type should be presented!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a visual accompaniment to the book, 8 July 2007
Shady Tree (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you're about to buy or watch The Da Vinci code without having read the book, I would advise you to put it back on your shelf, read the book first, and then see the DVD. Just my opinion of course, but this film bears a huge similarity to the Harry Potter films in that I would hate to try to make head or tail of the stories by watching the films without having read the books. The screenplay (by necessity, I expect) chops too much from Dan Brown's book (and changes a few vital details en route) for the film to be judged as great as a stand-alone experience.

However, if you have read the book and can ignore the omissions and changes, I really enjoyed the film; partly for the casting and partly for the stunning locations. Tom Hanks sounds as if he had a cold for the entire film but apart from that made a convincing Robert Langdon; pleasant looking, unassuming, kind and clever. I loved Audrey Tautou as Sophie Neveu; yes, she looked a little young but I could forgive that. Ian McKellen gave a predictably fine performance as Sir Leigh Teabing, even if he could have done with some padding around his middle, and the supporting cast were fabulous.

The locations were beautiful but I would have liked the film to focus more on the visual codes used in the book; i.e. Da Vinci's paintings. Dan Brown goes into such great detail about the symbolism in the "Mona Lisa", "The Last Supper" (which was visually touched upon but not enough) and in particular the "Madonna of the Rocks" that I felt the filmmakers really missed a great opportunity to bring to life these fascinating theories.

So all in all, as a stand-alone film it just seems a little rushed and muddled, but a really nice visual accompaniment to the book.

I'm looking forward to the forthcoming "Angels and Demons" but this time I hope the team stick more closely to Dan Brown's book which in my opinion is an even better story than "Da Vinci Code" - let's hope they get this one right.

4.0 out of 5 stars 11235813, 3 Dec 2006
J. A. Samson (Sussex) - See all my reviews
Having read the other reviews on here I was rather sceptical about watching this. Having read the book and thoroughly enjoying that I was not expecting the film to be up too much. However I was engrossed in the film from start to finish I found the film to be a good account of what I had read and on several occasions it felt like déjà vu as the film re played out what i had imagined from reading the book and that i think makes this a special film. The film left me feeling rather "spooked" which the book did and that is also a good thing as it is a film that encourages the viewer to think unlike a lot of films out there. I enjoyed this and would thoroughly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A safety by numbers film, 13 July 2006
Like most of the world, I read the book first, And found it highly enjoyable. It isn't Dan Browns best book, but it was a good read none-the-less. The book doesn't exactly transfer to the big screen like i'd have hoped it would, and found that as the book was quite descriptive, the film, as a result slowed down a bit. The first hour is fairly hard going, but it does pick up a little as Robert and Audrey fly in to the UK.

The casting i feel was a bit iffy. Hanks should never have been cast as Langdon, and i don't think he quite pulled it off. Reno was the only good casting, in that I saw him as the Fache character staight away when i read the book. Ian McKellan was ok as teabing as was bettany as silas. Both, however i felt weren't the ideal people to play the characters..

Overall, the film was ok, but it's certainly no where near as good as the book. I just hope they do a better job of Angels and Demons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why is everyone so determined to dislike this just to go against the hype?, 26 April 2009
L. Freeman "Binto" (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I am writing this having ONLY seen the film- I have not read the book. It was an intruiging and interesting film. I really enjoyed it. It was complicated at times, grasping who everyone was and what their stance was.

I can appreciate that if you have previously read the book there will be alot that had to be skimmed over i guess! But lets not all get up on our cultural high horses, its a really good watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a franchise?, 14 July 2006
Minks (London, UK.) - See all my reviews
Having read the book a couple of years ago, I had to read it again before seeing the film. This may or may not have been a good idea! If I hadn't, I think I would have found the film more enjoyable for what it is, but an average film all the same.

It does follow the narrative, but the things I found interesting about the book were omitted from the film. Pivotal moments were laughable in the film and I was sourly disappointed to find the Sophie Neveu character to be reduced to French eye candy when in the book she was sassy and intelligent (she's supposed to be a cryptologist for crying out loud!), as well as attractive. I believe that this changed the dynamics between her and Robert Langdon in film and not in a good way. It quite possibly ruined it. A lot of the book revolved around the chemistry between the two and how they bounced ideas off each other but this wasn't reflected in the film.

I think the script was always going to be a problem to transfer to film, but the performances didn't help. The only characters I felt were believeable were Teabing (even with the unbelievable name)and Aringarosa, however all the characters were true to stereotypical type which was a disappointment. Yes, I know Tom Hanks was in the film.

I did find this watchable but that does not a good film make.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable hokum - as long as you don't take it too seriously, 14 Aug 2011
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
The almost universally derided but hugely successful The DaVinci Code turns out to be surprisingly entertaining hokum. In many ways Ron Howard is the perfect director for it - he still can't create a decent suspense sequence in a thriller but, unashamedly populist and one of the directors least likely to overestimate his audience's intelligence, he keeps things fairly clear and surprisingly inoffensive: it's more likely to be the atheists looking for a flag to rally around who'll feel betrayed than the religious, with the film going to pains to emphasise that being mortal need not invalidate Jesus' message or the value of faith. Indeed, the villain turns out not to be a church figure but the kind of obsessive conspiracy nut who probably makes up the novel's target audience, albeit one ingeniously using the Church as his own personal hit-man.

The film does a surprisingly imaginative job of illustrating the film's extensive exposition with everything from PowerPoint presentations and computer graphic representations of the thought process to some visually striking flashbacks that are also well invoked to imply memories, phobias, personal backstories and the way the past impacts on the present, while the script has fun setting up various characters as the villain-in-chief only to pull the rug from under you. Even the constant puzzles that drive the story like some sudoko thriller are generally presented in a pleasingly cinematic manner. The film's big conspiracy - hardly a secret people will kill to cover up since it's been the subject of books for decades - doesn't hold water for a second, relying on finding connections and patterns where none exist, altering pictures to change their meaning and quoting apocryphal works and offering speculation as fact in such a way that the same method could probably also be used to prove that the secret child of Top Cat and Judy Jetson is the true heir to the throne of Great Britain, but at least the film's hero is allowed to puncture some of the more absurd elements as pure conjecture or disproven nonsense (provoking the inevitable "That's what they want you to think!" response) before finally seeing the light. There's also something rather naïve in the story's belief that if the big story is finally revealed, all war and sexual oppression will disappear overnight, something only underlined by the killer's over-the-top final moments.

It's generally well cast (even if Tom Hanks pronunciation is a little odd at times while actors like Jean-Pierre Marielle are wasted on nothing parts) and has a surprising amount of momentum and drive before things slow to a crawl for the lengthy epilogue, while Hans Zimmer throws in an effective score, making for a surprisingly entertaining cinematic scavenger hunt. The two-disc Blu-ray offers only the extended 174-minute version of the film (if you want the shorter theatrical version you'll have to stick with the DVD) but does feature a selected scene commentary by Ron Howard, picture-in-picture featurettes and interviews and even more featurettes than the two-disc DVD special edition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't make a treasure hunt out of a mostly debated topic., 13 Oct 2007
I. Sidhu "Cylon God." (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Plot:

A murder inside the Louvre and clues in Da Vinci paintings lead to the discovery of a religious mystery protected by a secret society for two thousand years -- which could shake the foundations of Christianity

My Review:

This film does have some level of drama, mystery and all the genres connected to that of a thriller. Yet having read the book twice and loving it as many times I have read it, this film feels like a bit of a rushed, one drafted film.

As I started reading the book when it was first Published , I enjoyed it tremendously. When reading it, I felt that all the concepts of the book and the well paced story were very well written and cleverly done. Yet in this film it was rushed and missed key points coherent to the story and I personally believe that these were necessary, but that happens when a film cannot be so long. The First 20-30mins was rushed and far to concerned with getting the chase and investigation underway. Yet as stated by Ian McKellen in Johnathan Ross' program Ron Howard had made it a 'Action Thriller'.

There are many good performances provided by Jean Reno, Audrey Tautou & Ian McKellen especially that of Paul Bettanny as Silas. The part of Robert Langdon played by Tom Hanks, was much more extrovert throughout the book, yet in the film; his part, until the second halve and end of the film, his character was 'kept back' in the film.

The flashbacks in the film were vague and yet I still believe very much essential to that of the characters, which made the character more developed and less hollow. The flashbacks of Silas were very good, however they were rushed and a slightly empty and not giving the whole picture of how the character came to be.

The History of Christ and Foundations of Christianity in the film that related to the story was rushed or skipped out of the way and I believed was to get to the point quickly, yet most audiences prefer anticipation and coming to their own conclusion

I had hoped this film would be one of the years best films and as great summer blockbuster. However it does not seem that way. From a readers view and watching the film I do believe many feel as I do about this film. As for those who have not read the book, I hope they enjoyed the film.

Verdict:

A great Cast of very experienced actors, yet could have been given larger roles. I enjoyed seeing the film and remembering my thoughts and feelings I had when reading the book. A good film for summer for those who love a murder mystery and conspiracy thriller. 6/10.

2.0 out of 5 stars HEAVY GOING, 29 Sep 2007
Hype spoilt the film for me. My expectations were never realised.

Tom Hanks is great and i would leap through burning hoops to defend his acting credentials. This film, however, was long and complicated which makes me sound thick. I love a thriller more than most, but i just didn't get along with the whole thing. The book was far more palpable.

SORRY !!

ARRAY(0x104ff0c0)

The Da Vinci Code [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
The Da Vinci Code [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free] by Marie-Françoise Audollent (Blu-ray - 2009)