5.0 out of 5 stars Easy copy of Tapes to DVDs
Published on 6 April 2009 by David Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Hardware - Poor Software!
Published on 3 Oct 2009 by James B. Spink

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy copy of Tapes to DVDs, 6 April 2009
David Baker (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - DVD Recorder & VCR Combination - With 1080P Up-Conversion & Freeview - Black (Electronics)
This machine is great for recording to and playing from hard disk, tapes or DVDs generally, but I bought it for my father (aged 92) to copy his large collection of holiday tapes to DVDs. Using the manual, we recorded the first two together and, since then, he has been going it alone without a problem. You put the tape and the newly formatted DVD into the machine and direct the machine to copy from Tape to DVD; the machine does the rest. Where more than one film is recorded on one tape, it even identifies them separately in the recorded index. For easy archiving of old tapes before they fade away, this is the way to go. Oh yes, and the quality of the recorded DVDs seems, if anything, better than the originals. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK, 25 Mar 2009
I had compared many reviews of DVD/VCR recoders before settling on this machine which was offered by Amazon at a very competitive price.

As has been stated in other reviews, the machine does take quite a long time to set itself up from switch on but after that setting up the recordings using the 'Guide' is excellent. I like the facility of being able to edit the recording times before actually switching the machine off to record the programme. This is especially useful when broadcasters do not send 'start' and 'stop' information to the programmes. In these instances, the start and ends of programmes can be missed off but this can be remidied by manually altering the times on the second set up page before finally placing the order to record.

Playback quality is excellent and being able to record programmes off Freeview is a real bonus as there are some interesting programmes there which I would otherwise miss out on seeing. Although I was a little hesitant before I bought this machine, so far I am very happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Hardware - Poor Software!, 3 Oct 2009
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEBK - DVD Recorder & VCR Combination - With 1080P Up-Conversion & Freeview - Black is a well built and well specified piece of kit which will perform many functions reliably. It has a built in digital tuner, but not an analogue one, and you can record or copy to and from DVD or VHS. I use mine for copying old VHS tapes to DVD and copying from Sky+ to DVD. A standard DVD can be set to record two, four or eight hours depending on the picture quality required.

Solid, and fairly bulky, the unit works well when controlled from the front panel which is well designed with a multi-coloured display. What rather lets this unit down is the poor menu functions from the remote control. Most of us today probably read a product's instructions as a last resort - no chance with this Panasonic! It has the worst menu software of any product I have ever owned - unhelpful and unintuitive this system will have you cursing when even trying to do something as simple as finalising a disc.

I can't fault the results from, or build quality of this Panasonic and it is pretty good value for money - but if you are a technophobe beware this product, it will infuriate! The hardware deserves five stars but the software only two - hence only three stars in total. If you like your Tech you may well like this product, if not find one that's easier to use!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog's Doo - Dah's :-), 11 Aug 2009
Hi, We'll try to make this as informative as pos and cover a fair bit of ground
so it's a bit of a long read :-)

Had this gem for 5 months now. Bought like most for transferring older technology
to DVD "Ram" disks so if we need to we can delete them and re-use the disks.
( Gotta love re-usable media )
We have had no problems at all, started off copying our 20 year old 8 m/m
video cam tapes using the "record what's on screen" feature via connected
to our Panasonic TV.
This feature is great as you can record whatever you can input to your TV screen
from many sources, even games consoles, or pictures/images, stuff from mobiles etc
Now ploughing thro' our VHS tapes using the VHS to DVD option
( you can also record the other way around ) and if anything the picture quality
has improved a lot over the originals as if they have been filtered of a lot of fuzz ?
Having said that don't expect miracles,
you can't get a silk purse from a sow's ear LOL

DVD recording options are great, with the ability to set recording time from
1 hour to 8 hours per disk depending on what quality content you need.
We found setting it to long play ( 4 hr's ) we could record 2 x 2 hour sections
per disk with very acceptable quality results.
DVD edit facility has a shed load of options, such as splitting a long recording
into chapters,adding titles and best of all a partial delete feature so you can
edit out unwanted sections like advert breaks from Freeview recordings,
blank tape sections at the end of a vhs film, or when they slap the news halfway
through an evening film - Gr'rrr !!!
and also the major benefit of saving recording space on the Ram DVD disks :-)

Manual comes in at 96 pages ( all english ) which are needed to cover the
mountain of options this machine can handle but it is well laid out and fairly intuitive.
Remote handset is also well laid out and the text is READABLE :-)
Also the AV button scrolls through about 8 inputs/outputs to easily select the
recording options.
Overall very pleased with our purchase, long term we'll have to see how it l
asts with lots of use,
Oh, and don't skimp on the connections cable quality, you view what you pay for :-)

Maybe we got lucky, but seems some of the low score marks are down to poor
reception/connections and cross product compatibility with older televisions.
Owning a newish Panasonic television made this an obvious choice for us.
Hope this helps, but there are plenty of independent reviews online elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, and does it well., 29 Jan 2009
A. Lynch - See all my reviews
Bought one of these machines a couple of weeks back and have been running it every day since. Purpose was to transfer tapes to disc, which it does, without fuss or bother. Straightforward to set up and operate, producing good copies. A nice bit of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not great, 4 Aug 2008
Melcisadeck (Manchester. UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this recently so have not seen its full potential.However,playing DVDs and old videos, produced very good results and in the old videos I saw lots of detail I had previously missed on my old sony VCR player.I watched Pan's Labyrinth on it recently, through my panasonic 37 inch plasma and I was amazed at the colour and depth ,it was at times almost 3D. Overall I am very pleased with it and I wanted a combi because I still have a big collection of VCRs, I've just not yet replaced with DVD.If I was paying for A DVD recorder only, at this price, I would however expect more.

4.0 out of 5 stars VHS to DVD problems solved, 11 Jun 2009
This is one of the best VHS-DVD combos I have seen and good value for the money. It was bought with the intention of dubbing all the family VHS tapes that will otherwise be lost and it does that job beautifully and simply.

The unit is connected, along with a DVD-HDD recorder, to a 37" Sony Bravia. I bought an additional HDMI lead as well as the standard SCART to get the added functionality and it proved to be a boon. As soon as it was powered up the DMR-EZ48VEBK automatically configured itself, setting up the clock, tuning and channel configurations. All I had to do was give some names to the channel inputs on the TV.

One of the big attractions to this unit is that the VHS recorder will play back all my old US NTSC tapes. This is where the having both SCART and HDMI is important. Playing back DVD's automatically uses the HDMI input on the TV so you get the best possible picture. With NTSC it is necessary to switch to the SCART input. This is no fault of the unit but a reflection of the very different format requirements of playing NTSC. PAL tapes will play back through the HDMI or SCART inputs.

I am surprised at those who have found this unit hard to use. It is a combo unit so of course there is a lot to it. Not only do you have two separate machines but also the integrated dubbing features, Freeview tuner and HDMI. That is a lot of punch in one box! Likewise the criticism of a lack of eject button on the remote. That seems pretty logical to me. If you are ejecting a tape or disc then you are presumably going to remove it so having the eject buttons on the machine is just common sense.

I have only two concerns with the unit. Firstly the VHS head drive motor is rather too noisy. It produces an audible and irritating high pitched whine that can be very intrusive and is much louder than the machine that this is replacing.

The second criticism is that the VHS recorder sometimes does not recognise a tape when inserted and then will not play. The tape then has to be ejected and reinserted. This problem may be partly related to the power saving function being enabled. In this mode the machine uses much less power in standby but does take some time to fully power up. I suspect that if a tape is inserted just slightly too early then the system may get a little confused.

I am not terribly convinced by the upscaling feature available through the HDMI channel. This is a system that uses intelligent image analysis to create extra pixels to give greater sharpness to the images. This can improve some VHS images but can lead to annoying graininess and picture jitter. I prefer a softer look but that is just a personal preference. It may work better in conjunction with a Panasonic Viera TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, and does it all, 23 Aug 2009
I'm glad I decided to buy this machine(even with some of the negative F/B thats written)within 1 hr of connecting this combo to my TV via HDMI I had tested Videos,DVD's,recording from sky HD & tested the VCR to DVD coping feature,all thankfully worked fine(upscaling looks good)the combo is virtually silent,it switches between DVD&VCR nearly instantly, the built in free-view seems to be better than my G10 panasonic TV the manual was hardly used but when I did it was simple enough to find the relevant information,it plays copied disks that were burnt on PC's& other DVD recorders,it remains fairly cool even after burning 5 hrs of family vid's(its in a open AV unit)it records HD footage from my HD camcorder at a press of a button and the recorded images look pretty damn good. that's all I can think of at the mo, so as you can guess I'm happy with my new toy(brought predominantly to back-up all family voids)so don't be put off bye the neg feedback some people have written

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says more or less, 27 Aug 2009
I did not expect to have to buy another video recorder but like many other reviewers I bought this to copy old VHS tapes to DVD. All my previous VCRs had been made by Panansonic so I chose this one. Like all machines it has its good and irritating points but by and large it seems to perform well - after three weeks anyway. I agree with another reviewer that it does not track all tapes very well but some of mine are pretty old now - even dating back to the 80s I think. It also seems to exaggerate drop out on some tapes particularly at the top and bottom of the screen e.g around subtitles. But it's easy to use at least for copying tapes. I have not used it for recording off air yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pansonic combi VHS/DVD recorder, 2 Mar 2009
Diana Walton "diana" (Croydon, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an absolute brilliant bit of kit!

The best thing about the copying process is that the DVD recorder recognised breaks in the VHS tape where new programmes start and divide the programmes into titles for you onto the DVD disk. Another good thing is that because it includes a digital receiver, when recording onto disk from the programme manager, the machine recognises when a programme starts late, so it manages to get the beginning and end of a programme on the disc without having to reprogamme to get the end on the disk.

The most annoying thing is that you have to remember to track each programme individually because it does not track individually when in copying mode - so you have to keep an eye on each programme it is recording and then stop, track and start recording again if one is not tracked properly. However, given that it titles things individually onto the disc, any bad recordings which have been started and then stopped can be deleted afterwards before finalising the disk.

Excellent. I would recommend. I bought two!