5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Good display, clunky device
Published on 8 Jan. 2009 by Martin Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 5 Dec. 2008
H. Easton (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak P720 7" Digital Picture Frame - Quick Touch Border Operation, 2 SD Card Slots & USB Input (Electronics)
Like one of the other reviewers I bought this as a Christmas gift and was confused by the huge amount of Digital Photo Frames on the market. In the end, based on mostly positive reviews whereever I could find them, I went for Kodak's P720 and I can only highly recommend it. I wanted an inexpensive gadget only to loop through a slide show of images - I wasn't interested in sound or video, so this was ideal. I read a negative review saying when you view faces close up they have no definition but I don't agree - as long as your picture is of a decent enough size then this gadget copes extremely well. I'm really pleased with the way the images are shown, even shocked at the quality - the backlighting is lovely and the colours are very true. The interface is very intuitive but don't try pressing the screen like I did at first, as its not touch screen, its activated by touching the frame. The only slightly negative point I have to make about this, is I expected to be able to copy images from my USB thumb drive/SD card onto the device itself. Maybe it was foolish of me, but I did think there was a little bit of internal storage which would hold the images to display. I was wrong - you need to leave your USB/card permanently connected to the device in order to show the images. I would recommend buying a USB drive as a gift to go with this - even if its just a small capacity one. For USB drives also, this can't look inside directory structures, so save all the images you need to display in the root of the drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars piece of cake to use, 20 Nov. 2008
A Dancyger (UK) - See all my reviews
this is my first purchase of a digital picture frame, a xmas gift, and i was a bit swamped by all of the products available. from helpful customer reviews i narrowed it down to either kodak or phillips, and the price cut and emphasis on ease of use clinched it. the quality seems excellent to me, the touch border operations will be a doddle for doting grandparent to use, true, no remote is better in this case. the software included makes everything so easy, i cannot emphasise the ease of use enough. i have nearly 500 photos on a 2gb card, its a wonderful present!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb stuff - best I've seen for the price!, 19 Nov. 2008
This is amazingly good value. Does everything and all with NO FIDDLY REMOTE. The last frame I had was not a Kodak one (it was a gift) and it was good - it got me interested in digital frames (didn't like the idea at first), but the quality wasn't as good as a Kodak one and what you can do with this is much MUCH better. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly a great product !, 2 Jan. 2009
Very happy with the frame and can definitely recommend it for it's ease of use and picture display, but it does have some annoying features.
It doesn't have an internal battery so it resets itself when unplugged from the mains - you have to re-enter date, times, etc.
When showing photos in "random mode" it appears to go through the same sequence at startup or when using the schedule/timer.
It can be slow when navigating through folders and subfolders to select which photos to dislay. I found it best to not bother making a selection and just switch it off and back on again and it automatically starts showing all photos.
If using a memory stick in the usb port, be aware that most sticks will be visible at the side of the frame as they tend to be too long. It makes you wonder how that got past the design review !
If you want to fill the whole frame with photos you need to select 'fill the frame' mode (or something like that). This will cut off some details around photos. Again, why couldn't they make the digital frame to fit digital photo sizes properly !
Overall, very pleased, apart from these niggles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good display, clunky device, 8 Jan. 2009
Martin Berry (Surrey, England.) - See all my reviews
This digital photoframe stands out for having a very clear LCD display which shows the detail and colours of digital photos accurately and distinctly. It sits very well in our kitchen showing photos from my USB stick and it makes the conventional photographs next to it look drab by comparison. Its great benefit is that it puts on view as a slideshow all those photos that otherwise would languish unseen and perhaps forgotten on your computer's hard drive. On the minus side, the display is relatively small, the user interface is not very intuitive and rather slow, the touch sensitive surround that you use to control the photoframe is awkward to use, and it doesn't seem to display all the photos on the USB stick especially when there is a large number there (which also seems to slow it down significantly), while the order in which it decides to show photos is a mystery. In conclusion, this photoframe, received as a Xmas gift, has given us a lot of pleasure but there are a number of aspects where Kodak could make improvements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Frame for the Price, 13 Dec. 2008
I bought this frame as a gift and I have to say it is fantastic for the price. I am always dubious about the really cheap frames, and the Kodak name settled it for me.

The touch frame, and the looks are superb and I really enjoyed watching pictures on the frame.

Only criticisms? Resolution can sometimes be a bit unclear if I am being harsh and the menus are not the most intuitive and can be a bit slow in responding to the touch.

My advice would be to buy an SD card to keep with the frame and load pictures onto rather than use the one in your camera. For £2 makes up for the lack of internal memory and this price you can't complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and product, 15 Dec. 2008
I bought this as a gift and have prepared a USB flash drive with all the family photos on it so that it's all ready to go on Christmas morning.
I'm so happy with it; nice resolution, easy to use and a great price.
Go for this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 9 Dec. 2008
P. Turner - See all my reviews
From the reviews of many photo frames in this price range I wasn't expecting such a good display quality - especially as my mobile phone has 240x320 resolution in a display only 1.8" in size.

Initially I loaded images pre-sized at 480x234 and they were disappointing. Then I put some un-edited images on direct from a camera and some were poor and some were very sharp. I experimented and found that the software on the frame will re-sample images for display and it does a very good job. I got very good results with images at 960x468 (twice the display dimensions) and the results are impressive. It obviously re-samples and uses anti-aliasing to give smooth edges.

I then created some JPG images of my own (not photos) at the same resolution and they got rescaled slightly. After more experimenting, I set the DPI in the file to be 72x72 and the photo frame displayed my image correctly. I suspect it reads a lot of the photo data from the EXIF headers and will do a good job (in most cases) at displaying the image in the right proportions.

I have only tried images resized to fit the, slightly unconventional, size of the display. This does mean cropping out the middle of the image. The frame does allow the image to be stretched/cropped/scaled but I prefer to have control of what it displays.

The colour reproduction is excellent. It matches my LCD monitor but is slightly more yellow than my CRT - I suspect that my CRT is wrong.

On top of the great image quality, the ease of use made this a winner for me. The touch controls are so easy to use and no chance of a lost remote control!
The slide show has timings from 3 seconds to 1hour. There is also an on/off time - i.e. turn on at 8am and off at 7pm. It is mains only - no battery (but I'm not sure if any other are anyway).

I would recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, great picture quality, 25 Dec. 2008
This is a great quality frame for the price - picture quality is excellent and the product is really easy to use - just plug in a USB memory stick or an SD card and you're up and running in seconds.

I can't give this product the full 5 stars because the interface, whilst very usable, is not always completely intuitive and the frame is a bit more limited than I expected in some respects, such as transitions and resizing/scaling picture options.

However, for the price, the great picture quality and the ease of use, you can't go wrong.

To the reviewer who found the product did not have a UK plug with it - the product must have been badly packed - my frame came with both a European plug and a UK plug.

To the reviewer who found the frame to be low quality plastic - the plastic does feel a bit "cheap" but it still looks good and it doesn't affect the use or enjoyment of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 26 Dec. 2008
Andrew J. Colclough (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
Took five minutes to get it set up and displaying pictures. The picture quality is sharp and bright and it has far more features than other frames in this price range (including ability to randomly display images). The aspect ratio on all digital frames doesn't match the size of my digital photos - one frame I bought regulary chopped off the tops of people's heads when cropping images to fit the screen but this kodak one never chops off heads when displaying the same pictures. It's easy to use and great for my Mum who doesn't have a PC - she can do everything she needs to using the frame.