5.0 out of 5 stars Superb family film and a true Blu-Ray showcase
Published on 30 Jan. 2009 by Mr. Blu

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS 2 DISC VERSION!
Published on 22 Oct. 2008 by M. A. Greenwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb family film and a true Blu-Ray showcase, 30 Jan. 2009
First off, this is one of the most visually stunning BDs I have come across so far. A delight to look at from start to finish. The story, which at first I thought sounded quite stupid, turns out to be simple enough for young children to understand (my 3 year old loves it) without being boring for adults (at least for the first 10 viewings, kids love to see things over and over). The ending, as the other reviewer hints at, is truly uplifting, with the joint effort of the Whos to make themselves heard. The humour is usually inclusive for adults and kids, only rarely too obscure for kids (Kissinger impressions, JFK parodies etc), only rarely too goofy for grown-ups (Horton swallowing a leaf-bug at the start seemed pretty expendable to me). Steve Carrell is brilliant throughout, and Jim Carrey shows for once that he does not have to be mind-numbingly annoying to get laughs.

There are good extras too: an Ice Age short and a free digital copy (albeit only good for use on one specific device) and entertaining making-of features etc. Perhaps the only gripe might be that at times there seems to be some more overt than covert political recruitment of young minds going on: the Mayor at times come across like an environmentalist faced with the occasional public reaction of "Oh, well, global warming means better weather dunnit?" (the chairman's kite-flying quip) And is "a person's a person no matter how small" an attempt to sneak some Pro-Life in there too? None of this spoils the film, but I don't care for indoctrinating children, however worthy the cause. Maybe this is oversensitivity on my part. I still loved the film and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best animated movies since The Lion King, 3 April 2008
Ms. H. E. Turner (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horton Hears A Who (Single Disc Edition) [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film and I cannot wait until the DVD release. Horton hears a who is a perfect example of a great family film, adults will enjoy it just as much as children. The characters are colourful, charming and engaging and the messages this film puts across is friendly and sweet. Everything a classic Dr Seuss story should be. A simply beautiful movie with a high spirit storyline. Go and see it in the cinema you will not be dissapointed! Excellent thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars hortan, 10 Jan. 2010
As you all know from the grince. Another Jim carrey film What I only know two this including. Well Hortan here's a who! You all know Jim carrey right if you don't look at this and the grinch. If theres more be happy to look.

As funny as a nackied man. As funny as a mouse chuciling comes Hortan are new funny guy. Learn a few chucles from hin ha ha.

Hortan is a elephant. Theres a baby kangaroo called Rudy. Theres a mother kangaroo but I forgot her name. Theres sum moncky's. There's a mouse with agian I forgot the name.

Hortan finds a speck and puts it on a flower. What culd be in it a golf cours mabe a city. Yes it was indeed a city and the city was called whovile.

4.0 out of 5 stars “Horton Hears A Who!” on BLU RAY – Compatibility Issues With The ‘US” Disc – Buy British Instead…, 6 Mar. 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Blindingly great fun - largely thanks to the vocal talents of Jim Carrey and Steve Carell - "Horton Hears A Who!" is an unusually cheap BLU RAY for the kids that the grown-ups will chuckle along with too.

But UK fans of both comedians should be aware that the 'US' edition of the BLU RAY on 20th Century Fox is REGION A LOCKED - so it won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' which most aren't.

Buy the UK version instead - it's less than a skydiver – beautifully rendered on the Format - and like “Nanny McPhee” benefits from a moral centre too...

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS 2 DISC VERSION!, 22 Oct. 2008
M. A. Greenwood (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
DO NOT BUY THIS 2 DISC VERSION! My main reason for buying this 2 DVD version (and the only reason I can see that anyone would spend an extra £5 over the single DVD version) is the ability to legally copy the film to your computer or portable media player. Well for the moment at least you may as well use the extra DVD as coaster. The serial numbers provided in the box don't work. When I contacted Fox I was told this was because the film isn't released in the US until the 9th of December and so digital copies will not be available until then. This is absurd! Those of us who have paid for the digital copy should be able to use it now.

Hopefully Fox will get this sorted but given media companies history of dealing with digital restrictions they place on their products I very much doubt it.

The restrictions on the digital copy (when it works) are also very tight. You can transfer the film to a single computer and a single portable device. If you need to copy it again (for instance you reinstall your computer) then you will have to contact Fox and beg for another serial number. At least they have provided the ability to use either Windows Media Player or iTunes so it will copy to an iPod and will work on both PCs and Macs.

And of course the very small print on the back of the box warns that the serial number may not work after October 2010 so you aren't really buying a copy anyway you are only renting it for two years!

All in all after thinking that a film company had for once taken a step forward by allowing legal digital copying I'm left utterly disappointed. I doubt I'll be paying extra for digital copies in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Horton hatches a hit, 13 April 2008
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
In the middle of March, with the kids out of school
In the heat of the day, `cos the tropics aren't cool
We were watching ....enjoying the cinema's joys...
When Horton the elephant first heard the noise

When Horton stopped splashing we learned that the sound
Came not from the trees or the stones on the ground
A small shrieky voice was appealing for help
But all Horton heard was a faint little yelp.
He heard it because of the size of his ear
So big and so wide and he knew it was clear
That the scream was attached to a speck in the air

We know from the tales that the scientists tell
That no speck of dust should be able to yell
So Horton the elephant quickly worked out
That some tiny creature was shouting the shout
A creature too small to be seen with the eyes
With a voice that belied its diminutive size

So sweet gentle Horton he rescued that speck
He placed it in clover, a small golden fleck
He pledged his protection, because after all
A person's a person no matter how small

Perhaps Horton bit off MORE than he could chew
When he crossed with the likes of the sour kangaroo
Who rallied the animals to go get the clover
To end his delusional rant, and moreover
To stop him corrupting the minds of our young
(This kangaroo chick was just too highly strung)

If you've read the story you know how it ends
It's good to have faith in the strength of your friends
There's no need to touch, or to see or to hear
To believe that there just may be people out there
Who'll stand by your side no matter the weather
And prove that we CAN make things happen together

It varies a little from Seuss's long verse
But watching the film, well, they could have done worse
The anime bit was a little bit weird
And the moldy old vulture had some kiddies scared
Carrey and Carrel and Carol are fine
But I don't think this movie is top of the line
I'll give it a rating of 4 - pretty cool
For this Seussian tale from the jungle of Nool.

Amanda Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Indeed, 10 May 2009
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Let's be honest for a second, when you have three of the biggest comic actors come together in an animated feature, it was destined to be funny. For an animated Dr. Seuss adaptation, this is not just funny but damned hysterical and one of the best CG animated features to date. In recent years, the Dr. Seuss films haven't exactly delivered as expected so I think most people weren't expecting much, but honestly it's really great.

The story focuses around Horton the Elephant (Jim Carrey) who comes across a speck on a clover, on that speck is whoville and run by its Mayor (Steve Carell) who everybody in whoville thinks is crazy, he also struggles to get through to his only son JoJo. Horton promises the mayor that he will have the speck put in the safest place possible but something gets in his way, Kangaroo who's the snootiest of them all and enforces every rule. She thinks Horton is crazy and he's disrupting the children so she goes out of her way to stop Horton.

The CGI is really interesting as it's very cartoony in style to keep the Seuss feel, yet at the same time holds a level of authenticity that both blend together very well indeed. The whole concept of the film, although I'm sure it wasn't intentional is actually quite interesting. I'm not talking about our planet being in the trunk of an Elephant, but the whole possibility of there being something much much larger than our world operating in exactly the same way we do. Our planet is merely a speck in the vastness of our universe, what makes it so impossible that we are a world within a world? I know, I'm getting all philosophical so I'll leave it there, but you know what I mean.

The comedy is quite slapstick in style as Horton finds himself in quite awkward situations along his quest to get whoville to safety. Within whoville the mayor finds himself in unusual capers to convince whoville of Hortons existence and getting to know his son JoJo. One of the more comical scenes in the entire film is the bridge crossing scene. Horton is trying to cross a rickety bridge which is very unlikely to support him and it causes quakes in whoville. The mayor is in the dentists and a shake leads to the dentist poking him in the arm with a numbing needle which is actually really funny.

An overall brilliant film which is something for all the family.

4.0 out of 5 stars "A person is a person, no matter how small.", 26 Oct. 2008
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This isn't my favourite animated childrens film, and to be honest - in places it labours a bit. But the strength of this film lays in the unique concept of the story, a whole world existing on a speck of dust.

Jim Carrey voices Horton the Elephant with all the energy you expect from him, but without going over the top. Most of the humour comes from him, and the one liners which relate more to the parents than the kids watching. The world of the Whos also follows the adult orientated humour as we follow the life of the mayor who juggles his work and fatherly duties.

The ending was predictable, but it still managed to keep an 'edge of the seat' tense atmosphere. The treatment and bullying of Horton in one scene towards the end was quite difficult to watch though and felt a bit out of kilter with the rest of the film - it turned a bit 'Lord of The Flies'!

In a nutshell: The Doctor Seuss story has been brought bang up to date without losing any of the original charm. The production team have previously produced animation which seemed as though it lagged behind that of Disney Pixar, but here it is top notch and it is clear that they have come on in leaps and bounds. This won't go down as an all-time-great, but my children did enjoy it, and I suppose the film does introduce young 'uns to a touch of philosophy (what the world we live on is but a tiny speck existing in a another much larger world...?), and the central message is a nice one without being presented in too cheesy a way.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Social justice trumpets through out the world", 15 Oct. 2008
The scene which I absolutely love is the moment when Jo Jo's secret sound system is discovered by his father; everything is alive musically, bells are ringing out, squeaky toys can be heard and every sound is joyously adding more resonance to the Who's rallying call to he heard, so the film culminates in one phenomenal musical centre piece which does lift you up. You feel when watching the film that everyone's enthusiasm at Blue Sky was poured into each frame and of course it must have helped with the voice talents of Steve Carell and Jim Carrey leading the way, as their characters were superbly animated enhancing every line and word which effortlessly tripped off their tongues. The look of the film is true to Seuss, you can see it from start to finish and on the Limited edition DVD set and Blue - Ray release you have extensive footage showing how they created the Seuss look for the characters and their environments.

Blue Sky studios has been making films which try to present before children narratives which convey the big picture; in Ice Age the idea of forgiveness and of surviving together is central to the story and characters development, in Robots the idea of staying true to yourself motivates the lead character and inspires those around him to do only good in the world and in Horton, which is a Seussian story, we are presented with a character who must over come adversity in order to save a world. Horton sees that we are all responsible for the our environments well being and for the well being of those around us and that a better world is one where we support each other since we are all interdependent on each other for survival. Horton is a fine metaphor for mans place in the cosmos as custodians of our fragile planet. This film is rich in metaphorical layers.

Blue Sky studios has the ability to echo the zeitgeist of our time, this gives them the edge over Pixar and - Disney especially, who are too preoccupied by what it means to be Disney and not focusing enough on what it means to tell a story. I am probably being unfair to the Disney studios but when they pipe their mantra about what it means to be Disney it has the reverse affect on some people who really are only looking for well told animated stories and Walt himself would have stated such a view, Disney after all only reflected the spirit of his time and now Blue Sky does the same. I look forward to future films by this first rate animation company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Awesome, 12 Oct. 2008
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

An overall awesome film which is something for all the family.

Horton Hears A Who (Single Disc Edition) [DVD] [2008]