• Duke

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 August 2005
As a fan of Genesis since their beginning I would recommend this album highly.It is on a par with their best work and is arguably their best ever.I know the 'diehard' fans will scream over Peter Gabriel's better vocal style and the classic earlier albums..tough!This album has everything...from the classic instrumental opening of 'Behind The Lines' to the brilliant 'Turn It On Again' and onwards to a glorious end in 'Dukes Travels/Dukes End'.Sandwiched right in the middle is probably one of Banks greatest compositions-the beautiful 'Heathaze'.Other top class songs include 'Alone Tonight' and 'Please Don't Ask' with Collins really emphasising his strong vocal style.I have all of the Genesis albums and also all of Gabriels solo work but I have to admit Collins is a better vocalist.This album was rather difficult to come by until lately.....buy and enjoy...you can't go wrong at this price!!
on 4 May 2014
Awesome, listening to it again it sounds better than I rembered it on vinyl. If your reading this and thinking of buying it, stop thinking, just buy itl brilliant.
on 1 November 2005
This album is clear evidence that Genesis stand as one of the main contenders for the worlds greatest band. Duke is an impressive album with all of the songs radiating exellence in their unique forms. Very few bands have equalled the brilliance that is Genesis and very few shall do so in the future. Good work Phil Collins!
on 9 December 2001
Duke is a strong album, with 'Behind the Lines', 'Duchess', 'Turn it on' and 'Duke's Travels and End' the classic longer track. The album is upbeat and even the tracks not mentioned are still worth a listen, especially 'Cul de Sac' which is one of my favourite Genesis Tracks.
on 18 February 2015
Have to say for me this is one of the best genesis albums of all.Loved the intro of Behind the lines-Duchess-guide vocal.Those 3 tracks are what I consider the best opening tracks I ever heard on any album.Man of our times is my favourite track on the album.Yes it does have a couple of album fillers but realisticly there isn't a bad track on the album.And it still holds up well today.This CD gets a right pasting when I,m travelling into town from the country.Full volume and off I go.
on 16 November 2011
A good album... "Duke" has good fresh songs! Phil Collins voice is excellent, Banks modern keyboards are interesting and accessible, often quite floating. There are very pleasant smooth songs, and couples of well deserved hits like "Turn it on Again". Simple songs no more progressive, it can disappoint the Genesis fan of the Gabriel-era. "Duke" may be good to listen some times, reminding you that it is not so bad!
on 9 February 2004
Right. Let's get one thing clear: we do NOT lump Genesis in with Yes and Emerson, Lake & Palmer as Prog Rock dinosaurs. For one thing, Genesis were good... and for another, Genesis evolved as they went along (unlike the other two) so 'nuff said. This album is right on the dividing line between the almost exclusively individual songs of "And Then There Were Three" and the later band-written albums. This allows space for Phil Collins' to start to influence things, both as a solo songwriter ("Misunderstanding") and as part of the songwriting team. This is not to imply that Messrs Banks and Rutherford have no say in proceedings, just that Phil becomes a bigger part of the aural picture.
Look, this album has got "Behind The Lines/Duchess" on it, still the finest piece(s) on any Genesis album ever. Do your ears a favour, and buy the damn thing. You really won't regret it...
on 10 February 2011
I recently bought this to be part of my growing cd collection. I owned it once on vinyl and its a long time since I listened to the album. I was delighted to hear just how good Genesis were again, I think this is my favourite album of theirs now as it has stood the test of time. The mix is good ( unlike a lot of cd,s ) and each track sings gloriously through my hi fi. Many years ago I thought this album didn,t live up to the previous 3 releases ( Trick of the tail, Wind and wuthering, And then there were three ) which were all massive sellers and put Genesis at the very top of the music scene. This was released when Phil Collins influence in the band had grown to the extent that he pretty much called the shots. It was obvious to me that Genesis were heading more and more towards mainstream with Collins at the helm and I didnt like the direction they were taking..subsequent albums confirmed to me that they had " sold out " and the band had been totally transformed musically. I still dont like any of their later "pop" releases, but this album ( to me ) stands out as the pinnacle of their career. The other band members had enough of a say to control the direction of the album and its content, and also to keep a lid on Collins "top of the pops" ambition. The band had matured wonderfully as musicians and the chord structure, key changes and melody parts are all expertly written and performed. I think Collins is an enigma..he was directly responsible for putting Genesis on a different level after the often silly and directionless Peter Gabriel era, then ( having achieved critical acclaim ) took a backward step to target the fickle singles market instead of concentrating on the already conquered album charts. This album stands out as the end of the beginning and also the beginning of the end.
on 25 November 2013
This CD arrived a month after ordering, but that's because it was sent from Argentina! I really don't know why CDs need to come from the southern hemisphere, especially an English band, but nevertheless it arrived intact. I feel guilty about the air miles involved. No problems with playing the CD and it sounds perfect.
on 13 March 2015
Nice thematic recording of one of the iconic bands of the 70's and 80's. Despite many disputes among Genesis fans, is a great recording that even with recent technology, cannot be achieved. Along with ABACAB a must for Genesis fans!