‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom went back in time and found some jems!, 6 May 2008
Adam N. (Norfolk, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
I have been a Tom Petty fan for as long as I can remember, but I was un-sure about his idea for a Mudcrutch album after all these years, why not just make that long awaiting Heartbreakers album?.

Now that I have heard it I can see why. This doesn't sound like a Heartbreakers album, there is a more country feel to it as well as some Rock n' roll. But to me, the Mudcrutch sound is definately a worthy addition to Tom's catalogue.

Tom doesn't sing lead on all the songs here, and personally the weakest songs are where the mic is handed to another band mate. I'm not saying the other vocals are bad, it's just hard to beat Tom's Southern style!

The stand out songs are: Scare Easy, Wrong thing to do, Lover of the Bayou and Bootleg Flyer. But I don't skip though any of the others as I don't feel there is a bad song here at all. Even Crystal River, which is over 9 minutes long!

If you are a Tom Petty fan, then you should own this album, and if you are not? buy it anyway!

4.0 out of 5 stars Petty goes to Nashville, 13 May 2008
J. Milner "jcmilner" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
This is more like it. When I saw this I thought it was a reissue of an old album as I knew the name in relation to Tom Petty. Further investigation reveals a true gem. Petty's voice was made for this sound. It has elements of his past work entwined with a more countryish feel and it works! Old stalwarts Campbell and Tench add their individual styles to the pallet with the latter even taking lead vocals on one track.
This CD will not offend the die-hard Petty fans. It slots in amazingly well with his catalogue of fine albums. Think of it as just another TP & The Heartbreakers album with a slightly more laid back feel. It still rocks and it still rolls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mudcrutch, 14 Jun. 2008
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
It has to be said from the start that there isn't a bad track on this album and anyone buying it is going to be getting some music of the highest order. I could end my review there, but this album has so much to offer, from the amazing album opener 'Shady Grove' to 'Scare Easy', addictive 'Lover of the Bayou' and more besides, this album delivers great music in spades. Some tracks have a real country-rock feel to them and I found them quite reminiscent of the Eagles (which is no bad thing) and others have that distinctive Tom Petty sound, but tweaked and altered by this bands own playing style. It is wonderful, as ever, to hear Tom singing in his own unique way and Mike Campbell's playing is as excellent as ever (ably complimented by Tom Leadon), as is all the musicianship on this album. One minor gripe, and it is very minor, is the terrible digipak format and lack of any booklet. You do get some photos and the usual album credits, but that's about it. Considering how good this CD is it is very difficult to lose many marks for this. This is one to turn up loud, feel that grin spread on your face and enjoy every second. Simply superb!

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

4.0 out of 5 stars GRAB YOUR MUDCRUTCH NOW, 27 May 2008
James N. Boyce (BURY ST EDMUNDS,SUFFOLK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
Great to see Tom Petty,Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench back with there friends from the early days.
I did wonder if it was going to work for the reformed Mudcrutch,but it is a triumphant return for them
The album is not a drastic departure for Tom and the Heartbreakers sound, but has a more country and live feel.
It starts off with the fantastic Shady Grove and Scare Easy and the quality doesn't drop all the way through the record.The cover of Lover Of The Bayou is a brilliant version of the Byrds track.
If you love Tom Petty, you'll not be disappointed by this lovely piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great move!, 9 July 2008
A. Murdoch (Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
I really have to get this out the player in my car, its been on a constant loop for about 2 weeks now and no wonder - this is a treat. A very strange career move in a way but it has paid dividends. This is a fantastic album. For my money, it sounds like a mix of tracks that have an early-mid period TP & Heartbreakers vibe (Scare Easy, Bootleg Flyer) and country (Orphan Of The Storm, Six Days On The Road). Its a mix that works very well and makes for a marvellous listen. Who says good music is dead these days?

It would be remiss of me not to mention GUITARS - an excellent pairing of Mike Campbell doing that Mike Campbell thing and Tom Leadon's more country-rock approach including cool B-Bender (at a guess) pedal-steel style licks. Two brilliant guitarists but serving the song. Telecasters jangle and spank as they should. A masterclass in taste & tone.

All this good stuff wrapped up in 70s-style album packaging. If you love TP, buy this now. Don't wonder if it is a worthy addition to his back catalogue - its up there with the best stuff - and that's damn good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff, 10 July 2008
John F. Doyle (Ludlow, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
The obvious question seems to be why did they wait 35 years to release this material, it's wonderful. I feel sure that most of this material could readily fit on any of Tom Pettys other albums though the Mudcrutch material does have a more country music feel than his other material. The best tracks for me are 'Shady Grove' and 'Lover of The Bayou', neither of which TP wrote. All said there isn't a bad track on the album.

Instrumentally this album delights too. Tom Leadons country-rock style nicely compliments Mike Campbells perfection. TP doesn't take lead vocals on every track but the others don't disappoint.

So what's everyone waiting for? It's a must for every Tom Petty fan or even if you're not, go and spend a few quid and buy a really cracking album & enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mudcrutch album review, 14 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
Excellent album. I would recommend it to every Tom Petty fan. I was not expecting too much from this album after Tom's 2006 middle of the road Highways Companion album. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The band seem to be enjoying themselves and this shows itself in the music. Every track is enjoyable but the standout tracks include: Scare Easy, Lover of the Bayou, Orphan of the Storm, Oh Maria. A rare muscial treat- when do we get Mudcrutch 2- the sequel? Check out the musical videos on Youtube- also very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Surprise, 10 July 2008
Pal Joey - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
I was very surprised to get an EMail, telling me that Tom Petty had reformed Mudcrutch - I was logged in to Amazon within seconds!

It is different enough to be distict from a Heartbreakers recording, but close enough that Tom's fans wouldn't be put off. Starting the album with a cover version is an odd decision, but the band make a wonderful sound, backed up with some great songs.

What next; will he reform The Epics? Go on, Tom! Why not, eh?

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Petty for real Tom Petty lovers, 29 May 2008
Fatboy (Left Field, Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
Here's Tom back at the top of his game, which of course is the best music you'll hear this side of the great divide.

This is a no-brainer guys. Go directly to checkout, then buy a few cold beers and maybe a bud or two. There's not a lot of better ways to spend 56 minutes 48 seconds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Country Rock, 26 Jan. 2010
Dr. Lyndon Smith (England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mudcrutch (Audio CD)
I bought this album recently and was highly impressed. Tom Petty has reunited with several of his old friends, who are also talented musicians, and belted out some of the best country-rock music we are likely to hear in a long time. The first time I listened to it, tracks such as `Scare Easy', `Crystal River' and `Lover of The Bayou' struck me as brilliant. More authentic Southern country rock than the Eagles and perhaps more polished than some of Neil Young's albums (although I would hesitate to criticise a master such as Young); I also thought I could hear hints of English Folk Rock (perhaps Fairport Convention). I guess this album must rate as an instant classic. The record is a great one for turning up in the car. I can't imagine that you would be disappointed with it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mudcrutch
Mudcrutch by Mudcrutch (Audio CD - 2008)