Format: DVD|Change

on 5 June 2009
I find it hard to understand the negative reviews on this film.
I'd never heard of it before either but I think it's an undiscovered gem. Produced by the Great Stan Winston and the class shows. It has a similar feel about it to Donnni Darko or the original Jeepers Creepers, although it ultimately makes more sense. It's slickly made, has likeable characters you care about, has an interesting story line, very good FX and an uplifting ending. I'd definately recommend it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 November 2014
With so many low budget horror films around (most being made up of cheap zombie flicks or ‘found footage’ genre), it’s hard for any of them to really stand out. However, ‘The Deaths of Ian Stone’ at least tries to be a little bit original. It really does try. I won’t go as far as to claim that it’s a ‘classic,’ but it is different enough to warrant an hour and a half of any horror fan’s time (providing he or she is reasonably forgiving of the B-movies they sit through).

We meet our protagonist – the titular ‘Ian Stone’ – hours before he gets killed horrible by dark forces. As if that wasn’t bad enough, every time he dies, he wakes up again, only for it to happen again, only in a different place and in a different life. So, can our doomed hero figure out why this is happening and, more importantly, how to stop it?

The film’s only an hour and a half. And, for a change, it feels like it probably should be longer. It’s a decent premise, but it does feel a little rushed. There are a few different concepts that appear to only be skated over, as if this story might have worked better as a TV mini series.

It does have its other drawbacks – the special effects seem a little too computer-generated and the ‘monsters’ aren’t really that scary. Plus, because of the different concepts being thrown around, it’s like the film-makers borrowed from about three different (more famous) sci-fi/horror films in the process.

The first half if more intriguing, but it kind of goes a little ‘all over the place’ when people change their costumes. Basically, the ‘baddies’ wear blatantly ‘evil’ costumes. It’s like they were picked up out of a school’s drama department (or s*x shop!). They almost look a little too comic for the film’s serious tone. The second half of the film feels a little more formulaic with some action thrown in as if to try and expand the ‘climax.’

Like I say, The Deaths of Ian Stone isn’t perfect, but, if you’re in a forgiving mood, you should get something out of it. I watched it for the first time when it came out on DVD. I liked it enough to buy it (cheap!) and have only just got round to watching it in 2014. Basically, I’d forgotten most of it and it’s the sort of film where you probably won’t watch on a regular basis, but I’m glad I watched it again and will probably do so again in a few years time.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2010
what a great film. I bought it based on reviews found here at Amazon ~ thanks guys
and I was not disappointed for a minute

the film has originality, flair and so many twists and turns I couldnt leave it even to make a cuppa. I was put in mind of the great Momento more than Groundhog Day with a dash of Jeepers Creepers but a whole lot of originality due to the fast pace and the in your face performances by a group of actors I have never seen before ~ this always adds to authenticity.

Do yourself a favour, reader and get this film to watch with mates, a pizza and a six-pack it will make a great evening!!
"The Deaths of Ian Stone" is really more science-fiction than it is horror, so it may well be the oddest of the 8 films 2 die 4 that made up the 2007 version of the After Death Horrorfest. Mike Vogel plays the title character, and after playing in a hockey game he is killed by an unseen creature. But the next thing we know there is Ian, waking up in his office. We might be tempted to think this Ian was just having a dream for the film's opening sequences, a common occurrence in horror films, but the title pretty much clues us in that this is not the case this time around. When Ian Stone dies a second time it becomes clear that this is going to becoming his daily routine until he figures out what is going on.

Being trapped in a day that keeps repeating itself or in your basic time loop has been a story line that has been used to great effect in the past. The obvious reference point is "Groundhog Day," but there have been classic episodes of televisions shows such as "Star Trek The Next Generation" ("Cause and Effect"), "The X-Files" ("Monday"), "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" ("Life Serial"), and most recently a hysterical episode of "Supernatural" ("Mystery Spot"). Then again there was "Day Break," a recent television show based on that premise that quickly sank beneath the waves of low Nielsen ratings, so the premise usually works, but not always. The problem is once we, along with Ian, learn what is really going on, that we get to flip a coin as to whether we are more confused or unimpressed by the answer. This is too bad because Vogel turns in a solid performance, within the limitations of the script. The same cannot be said for Jaime Murray who plays the villainess (being named "Medea" by her parents was a big clue). Murray is dressed up to look like she is the twisted cousin of Trinity from "The Matrix," and her deliver starts to sound more and more like she is trying to channel Natasha Romanov from "Rocky & Bullwinkle." If you buy into the argument that the villain is the most important character in a movie like this, then you are going to be disappointed on that score.

I do not want to get into what is really going on in this movie because (a) finding out is the point of watching the film and (b) I am not sure I could explain it so that you would really understand it let along think it was a neat idea. That would primarily be the shortcomings of the script by Brendan Hood ("They"). Director Dario Piana has plenty of CGI to play with, but there is really little going on with the pacing or editing of the film to make it particularly effective. In the final analysis, I round up on "The Deaths of Ian Stone" because of Vogel's performance and because while I was disappointed with the results I was actually thinking of ways to improve the script. Most of the other Horrorfest 2007 entries have not been worth the effort. As you probably expect by now, all we get for bonus features on the DVD are the Miss Horrorfest Contest webepisodes (along with the trailers for Jessica Alba's "The Eye," the Horrorfest 2006) and 2007 sets. and "Wristcutters - A Love Story." Reminds me of last year when I actually saw Horrorfest in the theater and before each and every movie they showed the trailer for "Captivity," a.k.a. the movie that never came to town. Here I am three-quarters of the way through these eight films and already it is clear that last year's offerings, flawed as they were, were superior to this crop.

Next up, the penultimate film of Horrorfest 2007, "Lake Dead." The tag line is "Beneath its calm surface lies the deepest nightmare," so it has to be a more conventional horror film than this one (plus it is unrated which I know is suppose to indicate more blood and gore than the human mind can take, but really just means they did not bother to get it rated again when they added whatever they added to it--see how cynical I am getting in my old age?).
on 3 August 2014
Interesting film about the power of the mind to deceive us regarding reality. Often in films I become very annoyed with the characters because they are incredibly stupid, thankfully this did not happen in this film. The film is not incredibly polished, production-wise, but it is sufficiently polished, furthermore some of the effects are very well executed indeed, although it is definitely not an effects-based film. If you are looking for a psychological interesting film about reality, the mind, and interpersonal relationships from an existential viewpoint, I think you will enjoy this.
on 10 September 2015
I have watched this dvd a number of times to try and understand the gist of the story. Unfortunately I only understood a little. No matter how many times I watch this dvd I do not think I will ever understand it totally. But it is intriguing enough to keep in my collection to view over and over again ( when I have no other dvd to view) in the hope that each successive viewing will further enlighten me.
on 2 September 2014
I really, really enjoyed this movie and think it's a shame that it seems to have passed a lot of people by.
It's a really clever premise that I don't want to explain for fear of spoiling for others, but I will say that it was clever, original and engaging. You won't regret watching!
on 7 September 2009
I found this little gem in a shop for a quid and was it a quid well spent.

Firstly, there is a good air of suspense for the first part of the movie. The special effects are excellent as you would expect from anything to do with Stan Winston. The acting is pretty decent which is what to be expected when you don't have a betallion of "A" listers with their ego's pumping through the movie. It is and isn't like groundhog day as the scenes or lives do change after every death. The idea of drug addicted demon like beings was a good one too. Reminded me a little of the vamp movie "The Addiction".

The one thing I will say is that the concept of love vs fear is a very close to the bone one. I have studied esoteric/exoteric philosophies and it has been found that these two forces have an opposite frequency. The force of fear can cripple you, literally and the force of love can give you the ability to do anything. So in a sense the film despite a "Disney" idea it does have a point.

So I would recommend this film for those who like to see past the posts.
on 7 December 2010
This film tells the story of evil creatures that co-exist with us on this planet, who one cannot see (unless they reveal themselves to you), and get their 'thrills' out of killing humans time and again by 'arranging accidents' or simply murdering you and then 'resurrecting' you. Ian Stone is a man who is murdered time after time, each time waking up in a different environment and character, until he starts to remember his 'previous lives' as well as the identity and nature of his killers....

As mentioned - Ok B-Movie if you have nothing better to do....
on 13 March 2016
Different and original, not exactly scary. Some really violent scenes. It`s worth a watch and has a good twist in the story, but not sure I would watch again.