5.0 out of 5 stars The Deaths of Ian Stone
I find it hard to understand the negative reviews on this film.
Published on 5 Jun. 2009 by A. KING

Published on 7 Dec. 2010 by Kaps

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Deaths of Ian Stone, 5 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
I find it hard to understand the negative reviews on this film.
I'd never heard of it before either but I think it's an undiscovered gem. Produced by the Great Stan Winston and the class shows. It has a similar feel about it to Donnni Darko or the original Jeepers Creepers, although it ultimately makes more sense. It's slickly made, has likeable characters you care about, has an interesting story line, very good FX and an uplifting ending. I'd definately recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific little masterpeice, 26 Jan. 2010
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
what a great film. I bought it based on reviews found here at Amazon ~ thanks guys
and I was not disappointed for a minute

the film has originality, flair and so many twists and turns I couldnt leave it even to make a cuppa. I was put in mind of the great Momento more than Groundhog Day with a dash of Jeepers Creepers but a whole lot of originality due to the fast pace and the in your face performances by a group of actors I have never seen before ~ this always adds to authenticity.

Do yourself a favour, reader and get this film to watch with mates, a pizza and a six-pack it will make a great evening!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been worse, 16 Nov. 2014
Albatross "Never argue with idiots" (Suburbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
With so many low budget horror films around (most being made up of cheap zombie flicks or ‘found footage’ genre), it’s hard for any of them to really stand out. However, ‘The Deaths of Ian Stone’ at least tries to be a little bit original. It really does try. I won’t go as far as to claim that it’s a ‘classic,’ but it is different enough to warrant an hour and a half of any horror fan’s time (providing he or she is reasonably forgiving of the B-movies they sit through).

We meet our protagonist – the titular ‘Ian Stone’ – hours before he gets killed horrible by dark forces. As if that wasn’t bad enough, every time he dies, he wakes up again, only for it to happen again, only in a different place and in a different life. So, can our doomed hero figure out why this is happening and, more importantly, how to stop it?

The film’s only an hour and a half. And, for a change, it feels like it probably should be longer. It’s a decent premise, but it does feel a little rushed. There are a few different concepts that appear to only be skated over, as if this story might have worked better as a TV mini series.

It does have its other drawbacks – the special effects seem a little too computer-generated and the ‘monsters’ aren’t really that scary. Plus, because of the different concepts being thrown around, it’s like the film-makers borrowed from about three different (more famous) sci-fi/horror films in the process.

The first half if more intriguing, but it kind of goes a little ‘all over the place’ when people change their costumes. Basically, the ‘baddies’ wear blatantly ‘evil’ costumes. It’s like they were picked up out of a school’s drama department (or s*x shop!). They almost look a little too comic for the film’s serious tone. The second half of the film feels a little more formulaic with some action thrown in as if to try and expand the ‘climax.’

Like I say, The Deaths of Ian Stone isn’t perfect, but, if you’re in a forgiving mood, you should get something out of it. I watched it for the first time when it came out on DVD. I liked it enough to buy it (cheap!) and have only just got round to watching it in 2014. Basically, I’d forgotten most of it and it’s the sort of film where you probably won’t watch on a regular basis, but I’m glad I watched it again and will probably do so again in a few years time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting film about the power of the mind to deceive us regarding reality, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
Interesting film about the power of the mind to deceive us regarding reality. Often in films I become very annoyed with the characters because they are incredibly stupid, thankfully this did not happen in this film. The film is not incredibly polished, production-wise, but it is sufficiently polished, furthermore some of the effects are very well executed indeed, although it is definitely not an effects-based film. If you are looking for a psychological interesting film about reality, the mind, and interpersonal relationships from an existential viewpoint, I think you will enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A missed gem, 2 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
I really, really enjoyed this movie and think it's a shame that it seems to have passed a lot of people by.
It's a really clever premise that I don't want to explain for fear of spoiling for others, but I will say that it was clever, original and engaging. You won't regret watching!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Hidden Gem, 7 Sept. 2009
L. Woods "fug63" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
I found this little gem in a shop for a quid and was it a quid well spent.

Firstly, there is a good air of suspense for the first part of the movie. The special effects are excellent as you would expect from anything to do with Stan Winston. The acting is pretty decent which is what to be expected when you don't have a betallion of "A" listers with their ego's pumping through the movie. It is and isn't like groundhog day as the scenes or lives do change after every death. The idea of drug addicted demon like beings was a good one too. Reminded me a little of the vamp movie "The Addiction".

The one thing I will say is that the concept of love vs fear is a very close to the bone one. I have studied esoteric/exoteric philosophies and it has been found that these two forces have an opposite frequency. The force of fear can cripple you, literally and the force of love can give you the ability to do anything. So in a sense the film despite a "Disney" idea it does have a point.

So I would recommend this film for those who like to see past the posts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok modern day B-movie...good on a lazy evening/afternoon! -- broad story outline inc. in review, 7 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
This film tells the story of evil creatures that co-exist with us on this planet, who one cannot see (unless they reveal themselves to you), and get their 'thrills' out of killing humans time and again by 'arranging accidents' or simply murdering you and then 'resurrecting' you. Ian Stone is a man who is murdered time after time, each time waking up in a different environment and character, until he starts to remember his 'previous lives' as well as the identity and nature of his killers....

As mentioned - Ok B-Movie if you have nothing better to do....

4.0 out of 5 stars The Deaths of Ian Stone..DVD, 13 May 2015
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
A little bit dragged-out, but entertaining anyway.
Without giving the plot away, the baddies could have killed the heroine many times, but didn't ??

2.0 out of 5 stars Each to their own, 15 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
Some people may like it some people wont.. its more of a 2.5 out of 5.. couldnt get into it but i know some people will.. has interesting bits and bits where you think... what again??? sighs.. just die! :P If its cheap then worth getting,nice special effects.an ok film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting., 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] (DVD)
I took a chance on this movie as it looked interesting and was cheap, however it was nothing like I had expected.

It was the best of both worlds, good acting and an interesting plot, but at times the special effects were laughable and I was unsure what was happening, for instance at the beginning of the movie we meet Ian, and he's American, but everyone else is English, it wasn't clear at all why this was & I had to look on imdb to quell my friends insistent queries.

However to potential buyers of the movie, don't be put off, its interesting and parts will make you jump, I was a little unsatisfied because I was expecting more of a horror movie, but nevertheless, I enjoyed this movie and I think others would too, if they gave it a chance.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD]
The Deaths Of Ian Stone [DVD] by Dario Piana (DVD - 2008)