4.0 out of 5 stars Madonna - Hard Candy
Published 12 months ago by Rebecca Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh no...
Somebody went ahead and bought this for me! After already hearing a preview of it before it was released and not liking it I can't say i'm too chuffed that a copy was given to me as a present (now on Ebay...). Whatever happened to buying people a pair of socks?

Published on 24 April 2008 by Dm Blackwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Madonna - Hard Candy, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
Hard Candy is honestly an album that some Madonna fans will like and some Madonna fans will hate. The follow up to the masterpiece Confessions On A Dancefloor is not as good but you can't call this album terrible, she pushes away from her dance floor genre to R&B and pop and there is some dance in there aswell. I did enjoy this album but not as much as Confessions On A Dancefloor.
***Top 5 Tracks***
Miles Away

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than you think!, 15 Oct 2013
R. Hallifax - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
This album is better than you think...

1. Candy Shop - An unimpressive opener. This is M's fave track on the album. Huh. The chorus is cool but the lyrics are awful. 6/10

2. 4 minutes - Yes, this is quite good! This is M doing RnB and succeeding. I like it. 10/10

3. Give it To Me - This is okaaaay. It is thumpin and driving, but a little soulless at the same time. I don't think Pharell suits M. 7/10

4. Heartbeat - Saying that, Heartbeat is the standout track in the album, about feeling music in your blood. Again the lyrics are a little clunky, but the whole feel of the song is brilliant. 10/10

5. Miles Away - Great pop song! 10/10

6. She's Not Me - This doesn't sound like M. I found myself listening to list thinking 'Where are you Madonna!!!'. There is a bit M seeping through towards the end of the song, but this sounds vapid and dull. 5/10

7. Incredible - This is a weird one. The first 3 mins are dull as dishwater, but the last 3 minutes [yeah, this is 6 mins long...] are FANTASTIC! It is about steering a relationship back on course. Last 3 mins. Woo. 9/10

8. Beat Goes On - No song should be called 'Beat Goes On. Sonny and Cher did that, come on M, think of something else! I would have called it 'The Beat Goes'. But hey, that's just me. This is quite a nice lil rnb song. Kanye does his thing. The original version of this song is MUCH BETTER!!!!! Look it up on youtube. 8/10

9. Dance Tonight - Ahh, a perfect pop song! This is nice pop/funk thing, kinda reminds me of Bedtime Stories album. Lyrics a bit clunky again, but a good track. 8/10

10. Spanish Lesson - This is good. WORK! Lots of silly lyrics with a latin/rnb beat. Nice! 9/10

11. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You - This is about someone who is SO NAUGHTY they would even fool the devil! HO ho! The pace is slowed down and everything is a bot moody now. This was performed brilliantly on the Sticky and Sweet tour. 9/10

12. Voices - Ahhhh. M. This is it. A diatribe against Guy. A fast upbeat song that is quite dark, and feels kind of odd. Worth a listen. 9/10

13. Ring my Bell - Lazy rnb. M, please don't ever worth with the Neptunes again!!! 6/10

Yes, this is not her best. However, it is better than you think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but still good!, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
I have been a Madonna fan for years! Despite most of my friends not liking her music at all! For me, her worst album was American Life, only about 2 decent songs on there! Her best albums by far were "Ray Of Light" and "Music"! Despite "American Life", I have always kept the faith in Madonna to produce good music! "Confessions on a Dancefloor" was still not amazing, but much better than American Life! After hearing the track "Miles Away" in a bar in Italy, I realised I didn't have the "Hard Candy" album so bought it! I was pleasantly surprised to see another person I am a huge fan of part of the producing, the one and only Justin Timberlake! Naturally, I am more drawn to the Timbaland- Timberlake songs rather than the Pharell Williams songs that are on there! Interestingly enough, the old school groove kind of music is what Timberlake is into these days rather than Pharell, yet the Pharell songs definitely sound the most old fashioned on this album! All in all, Hard Candy is no Ray Of Light or Music, but it is still a catchy album with a nice Timberlake input!

5.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat and entertaining,, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
I initially reviewed this on June 15, 2008. I personally feel that the cd was overall very strong and entertaining. I admit that I can understand the viewpoints of both the positive and negative reviews. However in my opinion this cd helped solidify why Madonna still is and continues to be a shining example to others to always follow your dreams and that anything is possible. This cd is the type of cd that grows on you each time you listen to it. With that being said here are my opinions on each of the songs

candy shop 8/10 : a very strong song with exotic beats that would be perfect for a dance club.

4 minutes 7/10 a good collaboration with timbaland and justin timberlake with a strong horn.

give it to me 8/10: an excellent pairing with pharell that makes excellent use of the drums and conveys a message that you are here to win in life and that she will continue on regardless of what others may say.

heartbeat 10/10: One of the best songs on the cd in my opinion. I listen to this track alot on my way to work.

miles away 9/10: sounds inspired from love profusion but a beautiful song on how love can be appreciated even more in a long distance relationship.

she's not me 9/10: One of my other favorite songs about a woman telling her man that the other woman doesn't compare to her but does it in a groovy and fun way.

incredible 8/10: This song grew on me after the second listen and I like how the song praises her love in a very sensual way.

beat goes on 6/10: Another song grower but in my opinion is a listenable song about having fun and enjoying the moment.

dance 2 night 6/10: An ok song for mellow slow dancing moments.

spanish lesson 7/10: An interesting song with some spanish words in it that may not compare to la isla bonita but is still very strong and upbeat with singing about a girl who loves to fall in love and adds the catchy phrase "when you do your homework.

devil wouldn't recognize you 10/10 A very strong and magnetic song about her wanting to release her lover but keeps coming back to him more and more.

voices 7/10 A good collaboration with Justin Timberlake. Madonna carefully crafts an original masterpiece with this song with making the listener think about the societal master and slave roles.

All in all I think that this "Hard Candy" by Madonna cd is perfect to listen to for a good and uplifting emotional boost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Again, Madonna is 5 years ahead of World's music. This is the sound of 2013 NOT 2008, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hard Candy [VINYL] (Vinyl)
It took me a long time to like this album. In my opinion this is one of Madonna's best albums if you exclude the out dated sounds of 80s and 90s or early 2000s (I still bump on Erotica, Like A Prayer, Into The Groove and Like A Virgin) However. HARD CANDY.
I purchased the VINYL edition and yet I don't own a turn table, the obvious reason for purchasing the VINYL Special Edition is because of the exquisite Candy Swirl Effect on the record one is Blue the other is Red Pink Not just that it also has a 3rd vinyl disc of two 4 Minutes remixes and in addition to all that a CD of ALL tracks! (I would prefer if we got a cheap slipcase with cover but all you get is just a cheap slipcase -I know I'm being demanding in here-)
The Music
It's not secret that Pharrell Williams and Justin Timberlake are the sound of 2013. Grammys 2014 and 20/20 Experience sales are enough proof. And those two fellas are the producers of this 2008 album.
1)Candy Shop 4/5
Lame at first listens but once you are used to it you will be saying "My Sugar is RAW" everyday.
2) 4Minutes 4/5
A little bit overrated but still fun
3) Give it 2 Me 5/5
I love the deep meaning of this track. Don't wait for anyone, have trust in yourself, do what's in you mind and success will be on his way.
4) Heartbeat 5/5
See my booty get down like!!
5) Miles Away 4/5
Kind of boring but sometimes it works well in a certain mood frequency. You can feel Justin Timberlake's production in this.
6)She's Not Me 4/5
Took me a long time to like this track. Funny lyrics and an amazing outro.
7)Incredible 3/5
I didn't get into this track since it's only sex related
8) Beat Goes On 6/5
Damn! This is the best track in the album. Pharrel and Kanye (even though I hate Kanye) but the beat and the deep meaning of this song is just TOO GOOD! Way too underrated in my opinion.
9)Dance2Night 5/5
In my opinion it's better than 4Minutes.
10) Spanish Lesson 3.5/5
Sometimes fits my frequency sometimes not but it's totally listenable I don't get the urge to skip it.
11) Devil Couldn't recognize You 4/5
If you love JT this will be the first track you get into after the singles. But you'll get over it once the album grows
12) Voices 2.5/5
Weakest track in the album. "Are You Walking The Dog, Or The Dog Walking You?" Excuse me!! despite that the sound in this track is a little bit buzzed which makes it unclear.

In all. A great Madonna album that didn't do much to her career but I highly enjoyed it personally. It takes a lot of time to grow in your ears. It took me around 3 months in order to. Be patient.
Don't miss Sticky & Sweet Tour DVD or Blu-Ray.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh no..., 24 April 2008
Dm Blackwell "Dazmb" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)

Anyway, I duly listened again to confirm that IMO it is indeed a): an awful Madonna album and b): an awful Rn'B album. I can hear few redeeming qualities at all.

I note that Wikipedia is reporting as of the date this was posted that worldwide sales are sitting at 2.6 mil. So it's well on course to be the lowest selling new studio release in Madge's history. Even falling short of American Life's 5 mil. Not surprising as for example in the UK the album has had little or no airtime on the biggest radio station (BBC R2). A trend doubtless repeated worldwide by music playlisters who don't want to hear her singing "See my booty get down like (Little lower baby oh) Get down ..." Cringe....

So I can hear an army of long-time Madonna fans saying "We told you so....", and you need to try harder next time Madge... This rubbish simply won't do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Energetic "Pick Me Up" To: Dance, Work-out, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
Madonna presents an [11th studio] album with fast energetic beats, some hip-hop and R&B plus thought provoking styles all in one. It's as the title a juxtaposition of an album; side by side is the fun happy music like candy and the hard part of maybe the candy isn't too good for your health if you gorge on it. The Queen of Pop always has a meaning behind each album and this one is definitely one of having fun and dancing up a storm plus bringing issues to light all in one! Production wise she hired the best in hip-hop R&B with players like Timbaland, Justin Timberlake, and Pharrell. Their influences are definitely highly visible throughout. Kanye West also makes his nice presence felt in the funky triple paced beat of BEAT GOES ON; a true favorite of mine and one of the reasons I purchased it. I am definitely big on rap and hip-hop so I was very drawn to experience a new sound with my favorite music artists from another genre.

The album takes on a drive by experience as it progresses and deepens. The opening track CANDY SHOP is the taste of the love for candy or shall I say to get the mood to hit the dancefloor. Some tracks, "...Get up out of your seat (your seat)/Come on up to the dance floor/..." While getting sexy too as it later has: "Chocolate kisses so good, you'll be begging for more/Don't pretend you're not hungry there's plenty to eat/Come on into my store, coz my sugar is sweet." DANCE 2NIGHT features the all so luscious Justin Timberlake which was another reason for my INTENSE desire to buy this album. This has a very disco dance style like Justin's vibe mixed with Madonna. It's very old school and club friendly although the beat is less intense; a nice R&B dance style echoes throughout along Justin's singing in between. This would have been a nice song to do a remix to. My third favorite song is GIVE IT TO ME which has Pharrell's touch all throughout. As Madonna toured in the Madonna: Sticky & Sweet Tour she made much impact performing this number. The crowds definitely soared with excitement and it's for a reason. The song is fantastic! When I saw the video I was even more driven to buy the album. If you check out the video Senorita Justin Timberlake - Justified: The Videos from Justin's videos you will see Pharrell and Justin--they look hot! The album has a very similar vibe on some tracks. Take SPANISH LESSON for a Spanish sounding beat and there are much musical references that are not the typical as Madonna and Pharrell explored many You-tube clips in search for something hip and fresh. The lyrical writing and added touches by Timbaland were done last minute and while Madonna has stated she was not a fan of the song at first it later grew on her. Like Madonna, I find myself somewhat singing along despite the little appeal it had on me at first. Progressing through the album it gets deeper in emotion as the song DEVIL WOULDN'T RECOGNIZE YOU seeps in. This is a song many can relate to as being fooled by a lover is typical these days. I can sing this song to an array of men from my past-it is definitely good to vent! The beat is considerably slower as now the album is drawing to a close and the curtain is coming down. The reality is slowly unveiling. There are ups in life but definitely downs too. Some words are, "It's like over and over you pushing me right down to the floor/I should just walk away/Over and over I keep on coming back for more/I play into your fantasy..."

The BONUS TRACK is RING MY BELL for this Japan Edition. The lyrical booklet is included with the words to the songs in English and Japanese. There were many other tracks never released [about 9] but the ones most favored were used. If you are wondering if RING MY BELL is worth the buy of the Japan Import I would say yes. It is catchy and definitely hot. It has a very soul R&B hip-hop element as you hear Pharrell and Madonna singing along fast paced beats very catchy and hypnotic. Some words, "...You don't act like my friend...loose your attitude say your sorry.. show some gratitude.. then you can ring my bell. It's a song relatable as a lover can play the Don Juan and be full of himself or herself. It's an empowering song very Madonna. The tempos are high to mid showing R&B and hip hop styles in between. I love it.

*The box set found here Hard Candy Special Edition [Candy Box] has the bonus tracks: 4 Minutes [Tracy Young House Mix Edit] and 4 Minutes [Rebirth Remix Edit][Edit]. The box edition would be my top choice for the mix/remix -even more so than the Japan Edition. The first one: "4 Minutes Tracy Young House Mix Edit" has rapid non-stop hyper beats with more synths, plenty of vocals, hip-hop and disco mixed plus catchy sticky infectious beats [rating 10/10], the second remix: "4 Minutes Rebirth Remix Edit" has a more spiral tech-no enhanced style along plenty of Madonna's and Justin's vocals [rating 10/10]. It's also fast, highly energetic, and dance-fully strong! The drums, elevating trance along disco swirls make this a must buy and a great choice above the regular version or Japan.

The SINGLES spanned from this album were 4 Minutes [March 17, 2008] making a much radio friendly impact and peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 making it Madonna's 37th top 10 single. It received 2 Grammy nominations for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals, and Best Remixed Recording, Non-classical. The song was influenced by Madonna's visits to Malawi in which she wanted to bring to light issues of how we can change the world. It played a part in her later documentary production titled, I Am Because We Are.

The second single GIVE IT 2 ME [released July 15, 2008] is a great dance pop track filled with fast paced styles, claps, drums, and Pharrell elements. Pharrell has stated this album is like "a great work out or sex album". It features West African percussion and cowbells according to Wikipedia. It peaked at 57 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The third and last single, MILES AWAY [October 17, 2008] is a very different sounding song from the rest. Madonna performed this on her tour and has stated it is for the mentally retarded such as myself; relating to her difficulties in her marriage at the time. It addresses long distance love and is very relate-able to many. It was first released as a promo in Japan as the theme for Fuji Television. It was written by Madonna, Justin Timberlake, and Timbaland. It has a more melancholic sad somber tone with references to the hardships of love in a long distance relationship. In 2008 in Japan it became the best selling digital single and won 3 trophies. It did not appear in the Billboard Hot 100 but did become the #1 on the Hot Dance Airplay.

Madonna chose to work with Justin Timberlake, Timbaland, and Pharrell because she wanted to put out an album to the music she was listening at the time. [Kanye was brought in because he was across the hall where they were doing the songs.] That was the music she was enjoying and what she wanted. Since all 3 had music at the time that was on radio she also wanted to play a more radio friendly sound to try something different as many interviews have revealed. She has stated that she felt the music was geared to be like a fun, dance style album with every track having dance potential. As she states, in my own words: She, Pharrell, Timbaland, and Justin would try each song and if it was not dance-able it was eliminated. Madonna's vocals are thin and not as deep as her other releases but that goes with the territory. Uplifting beats alter the elevations and this will show more similarities to her earlier releases when her vocals were more on the high pitch side.

Music wise, it has the fire, high paced energy, and excitement to elevate even the most manic depressed individuals. It really is just about having fun. In addition, Madonna also toured before her concert to promote the album with 6 songs performed. The set consisted of 40 minutes and included shows in New York with appearance of Justin Timberlake, and England: Roseland Ballroom in New York City April 30, 2008 and Radio 1's Big Weekend Concert in Maidstone, Kent, England May 10, 2008. If undecided about the album you-tube has clips of this promotional shows that can help.

Madonna continues to reinvent, grow, and challenge her contemporaries. Isn't that why she is still relevant more than 20 years later? Madonna is the master of being in control and in this phenomenal mind blowing album she does it again! A fun sugar as sweet album with it's changing emotions definitely taste-worthy of wanting more and more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Can Still Be Sweet At 50, 30 April 2008
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
Mrs Ciccone-Ritchie I salute you !

I can think of no better way of showing my appreciation
than dedicating this, my 50th review, to you in the year
of your (fast approaching) 50th birthday.

It's good to see from your cover photo that there are no
clear signs of your having begun to let yourself go just yet.

Your libido appears to continue to manifest itself in full working order
and all would indeed seem to be trimmed and tidy down below.

A strapping lass no more no less with a heavyweight
hardcore trophy belt to prove it.

Can it really be 25 years since the release of your first album?

Celebrity musical friends and producers aside 'Hard Candy' seems to be less a reinvention
this time around than it is a refinement, a distilation and a concentration of those
essential traits which have continued to endear you to us over the past QUARTER OF A CENTURY.

The album is saturated with a sinuous nervous energy.
Muscular rhythms, skittering febrile synthesiser interventions
and a commendable integration of accoustic and electronic elements.

And within it and above it all THE VOICE. Familiar as an old friend and
despite it's technical limitations a voice which has NEVER sounded better.

The material is strong. The melodies memorable and often strangely affecting.

We have some of the best songs in the lady's long career here.

'Incredible' is just that; 'Miles Away' a close second.
'She's Not Me' a delicious slice of who-can-she-be-referring-to(?) uber-disco;

'Beat Goes On' keeps the mirror-ball turning with a cute
over-the-shoulder 80's wink and Mr West's splendid rapterlude.

Misters Timbaland and Timberlake deport themselves well in '4 Minutes'
in cool anthemic style; the pared down ska(ish) rhythms
of 'Give It To Me' another good-humoured invitation to dance.

'Heartbeat' perhaps for me the shining jewel in 'Hard Candy's' crown.

Crikey it's all top drawer stuff !

A renaissance of a kind and a celebration of single-minded persistence.

Your Madgesty you can be well proud of this one !

Big Up For Your Birthday !

The Wolf

x

5.0 out of 5 stars hard candy amazing!, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
a lot of people say its too rnb, but it isnt ! there is also pop dance ballad , is an incredible album! love it

5.0 out of 5 stars gota love the queen, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
gotta love madge came quickly and the item was in good order great album gotta love the queen of pop

ARRAY(0xfef7018)

Hard Candy
Hard Candy by Madonna (Audio CD - 2008)