5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent water pick.
I would highly recommend this jet for anyone with dental bridges, fixtures, braces, gum receding, and generally over 30.

Published on 13 Aug. 2008 by Jan Shaw

1.0 out of 5 stars Water Pics are great, but not this one.
We have had Water Pics for years, usually aquired while in the USA.
Published on 14 Mar. 2009 by Michael J. Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent water pick., 13 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Cordless Dental Water Jet Irrigator wp450

I bought this jet because I developed an inflammation under a dental bridge and needed something to clean under/around it more efficiently than any other product on the market (floss, picks, etc.). This little jet works miracles, the flow is strong enough to get gunk from between my teeth I never suspected could exist, but gentle enough not to cause irritation.
The first few days were tricky, lots of splish-splashing until I learnt to position my mouth around it correctly (close it a bit), it was a bit noisy (although I never used an electric toothbrush, so I can't compare), expect to refill it 4 times on average per use (no need to detach the tank, just flip the lid and fill it up), and the temperature of the outcoming flow would be cooler than the water in the tank (a point to consider when cleaning sensitive teetg/gums). But then I got the hang of it, and now can't imagine how I lived without it.
The battery lasts for about a week of twice per day use on low setting. A previous model had negative reviews for battery life (couldn't be recharged after 6 months of use), and I only had this product for 10 days, so I cannot judge. But the manual does recommend emptying the battery completely twice a year, and I don't think it will be a problem because the product has a year long warranty.
Overall, I am very satisfied with the product and would recommend it very highly for anyone seeking cleaner dental/gum tricky spots.

6 months update: the battery is still going strong. Although i tend to run it empty before recharging every month. Can't figure how the other reviewers got faulty batteries in their machines.

Update July 2011: this thing helped me resolve my dental problem in a few months, and then I just stopped using it. So I cannot vouch for long-term battery performance. Also I just found several other models by other companies which are cheaper and have a bigger tank. Still think this is a good machine, but would explore other options if I had to buy another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever little machine, 16 Feb. 2008

1.0 out of 5 stars Water Pics are great, but not this one., 14 Mar. 2009
Michael J. Adam "Wanabe traveller" (Berkshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Cordless Dental Water Jet Irrigator wp450
We have had Water Pics for years, usually aquired while in the USA.
I recommend the concept but having recently aquired the re-chargeable version, find it a pain. The charge only lasts for a few days and you have to charge it elsewhere than the bathroom. It's also too big and difficult to manage because you are trying to control the whole machine complete with water reservoir. Also the pressure is not great.
If you can run to mains operated unit, they are much better. The problem is,it is assumed you can't use them in a bathroom but I have found that they run quite happily from a bathroom shaver socket.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!, 3 July 2010
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Cordless Dental Water Jet Irrigator wp450
I ignored the other bad reviews given for this product thinking that they must have just been unlucky, also the alternative panasonic product was £30 more expensive... Well I wish I had paid attention, whilst this is a great product for cleaning between your teeth and definitely does improve gum health, my battery has now completly died after less than 2 months of use, you can only use it whilst it is plugged in and since it has to attached to a normal mains plug rather than a bathroom 2-pin socket, it is unusuable as it is not practical to use it in the bedroom or elsewhere!! I will be re-investing in an alternative brand, I would advise other people to do the same....

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea - but not good design, 13 Feb. 2009
Ian Spencer (Solihull) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Cordless Dental Water Jet Irrigator wp450
There are three issues here - the problem, the solutions, and this particular device (and please note I am not a dentist so don't take this as professional advice).

Do you have problems with your gums? If you have bad breath and or bleeding when you brush your teeth or floss, then you have a problem that your dentist will tell you you need to get on top of.

My teeth are a nightmare, each gap is a food trap designed to hold onto anything that happens past. Flossing doesn't do the trick, it just doesn't get the stuff out. Last year I discovered inter-dental brushes like Tee-Pee (advised by hygienist) and these cracked the problem - really good at cleaning and all the symptoms of gum disease went away. However, there are some parts that were tricky to deal with.

Along comes this home version of the dentist's cleaning device - the water jet. Firstly, it really works well - once you get the knack, it cleans the gaps in your teeth very well, even nasty stuck things. So in terms of function, though messy to use, it does the job.

Why the low rating? Well, it is a shoddy American design and I just don't believe it will last. There are two of us using it (other half uses a different attachment to me so we don't have any hygiene concerns, though it seems to me that there should not be a problem sharing the attachments with common sense). The charge lasts about 3 days (Ni-Cd batteries went out years ago) - that is about 12 uses (twice a day, two of us). The charger is not designed for a bathroom, so it needs a home elsewhere.

The ergonomics are poor - although there is a twiddler to point the jet in the right direction, it is not where you can readily keep your finger on it - it is easier just to move the whole thing round. You will need two or more fills to clean your mouth.

The build quality looks suspect too: the edges of the parts don't join up well, and the mechanicals don't sound very robust. It does have a two year warranty, but I doubt it will last more than a couple of months (I'll report back either way). The sliding switches feel cheap. It strikes me that this is a first generation product and the likes of Braun or Philips will come along and do a proper job having learnt from the problems with this.

So: worth buying because your teeth are worth it (for me it is saving me two extra visits to a hygienist a year), but buy it in the knowledge that it is not a great product.

**UPDATE** I have replaced the Water Pik after the battery died and it now contains a NiMH battery so it seems they have attempted to address the problem. See you in a couple of months - hopefully not!

***UPDATE*** Got to August before the Pik suddenly gave up the ghost. It has been returned to Boots for a refund and I'm giving the Panasonic EW1211 a go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expired after a year, 15 Oct. 2008
T. Mann - See all my reviews
While it works, this device seems to be very effective. Plenty of visible evidence in the stream of water and debris from one's mouth. My dentist has remarked on the improvement in my gums.

I use it morning and evening, each time filling it twice. I took a while to come to terms with the separate on and off switches, inadvertently spraying water over my shoulder, but that problem did not last long. I have to recharge it twice a week.

Today, in the month of its first anniversary, the device began to screech. The screech turned within a minute to a rattle, and then the motor whizzed smoothly up to full speed but not a drop of water came out. The motor and pump have divorced.

The device has been so effective that I shall lose little time in buying another water cleaning kit - but not a Waterpik.

1.0 out of 5 stars a professional opinion, 30 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Cordless Dental Water Jet Irrigator wp450
I am a dentist and I concur with all the low star ratings.
This is an example of a typically poor American piece of dental equipment, not only in design, but technically with poor pulsating efficiency and reservoir volume.
Invest in the Panasonic Dentacare EW1270 Portable Oral Irrigator Water Jet, although it is battery driven it pulses correctly and is travel friendly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish battery, 7 Jun. 2008
I've had the same problem with this as other reviewers. I followed the advice in the manual about letting it run down completely, but the battery still died within six months. I took it back to Boots for a replacement, but that one also stopped working. My mum bought one at the same time as me and hers also stopped working, so it's clearly a design fault. I now have a mains-powered Kitty water flosser, which was more expensive (£60) but is still working really well a year later. I would recommend spending a bit more and actually having a machine that works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Battery failure, 3 May 2012
I bought my first Waterpik WP450 in 2008. Between then and now (2012) I have had 5 of them, all of which failed. The battery in each one failed to hold charge for more than a couple of uses well within the year guarantee so I duly returned each one for a replacement, which granted, Waterpik honoured.

This week I received another replacement, but this time opted for a mains powered WP250 (Nano) as it was clear both to me and Waterpik that this was the only way forward.

Their accompanying letter informed me that this would be the last replacement. Of course, I'll be sending this back too if it fails to perform adequately within the guarantee period. I would strongly advise against buying a rechargeable Waterpik product.

1.0 out of 5 stars It stops re- charging after months, 1 May 2009
I am about to return my waterpick yet again, i cannot recall how many i have had, 6 or 7 both the previous & current model. when you first get it it is fantastic but after a few moths it will not charge.

why do i keep getting replacements, simply because i have only ever paid for my first one & while the retailer replaces it i will probably keep going. i am sure that waterpick know about the problem, why they do not do anything about it is anyones guess?

they need to put a charging light on it so you can see if it is charging.