4.0 out of 5 stars Decent all rounder

1.0 out of 5 stars samsungs not the best quality in my experince with them
Published on 23 April 2009 by J. Dance

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent all rounder, 2 July 2008
A. Rose (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung LE37A558/A559 - 37 inch Widescreen 1080P Full HD LCD TV - With Freeview (Electronics)
I purchased this TV as an upgrade from a 28 inch CRT box that recently died. I've always been a bit hesitant about buying a HDTV set due to fears over SD picture quality. Thankfully, this box as proved that (through the build in Freeview tuner at least) that standard definition TV can look good on a 37inch set (for those who care - I sit either 5ft or 9ft away from it).

The TV has a number of 3 modes that allow varying degrees of modification plus 3 entertainment modes that cannot be changed. The system provides a wide range of picture settings that can be (and need to be) changed. Out of the box the settings do not do justice to the set so you will need to adjust them. The entertainment modes seem to work well with the cinema mode giving a very pleasing picture.

HD viewing is very good. I have a PS3 so the TV gets plenty of use with games and Blu-Ray videos. The 1080p 24hz and 60hz output has made me very glad that my old TV bit the dust.

Negative points: 1) the speakers could be better, 2) It is hard to get the set up just right (displaying multiple shades of black is always a bit of an issue on LCD tv sets) 3)Freeview channel changes are slow

Positive points: 1) Decent black levels for an LCD (though not as good as the glossy screened 6 series 2) Plenty of display options 3) Good range of inputs (inc 3 HDMI 1.3 connections and a USB connection) 4) Very good viewing angles 5) Fast menus (inc Freeview TV guide) 5)It remembers your settings selection for each input source 6)Good value for money

Overall, a good purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Four and a half stars if I could, 11 Aug 2008
Mr. T. W. Blowers "Gadget Fan" (Bishop's Stortford) - See all my reviews
First impressions are that this is superb value for money. HD through my Xbox 360 look fantastic. SD TV looks ok, but just as good as SD is going to be. Bring on HD Freeview. The only downside is the sound quality, which is really quite bad for a Samsung TV. I run the sound through my hi-fi, which sounds great, though. The sound through the TV has just got NO bass whatsoever, so sound is all flat.

The motion isn't jerky, and colours look natrual.

But overall this is a great TV. Four and a half stars (loses half a star for sound, incase you didn't guess.)

5.0 out of 5 stars short but honest, 17 Jan 2009
Mr. B. E. Pearson (Germany) - See all my reviews
i bought this telly back in august but waited until now so i could give a more informed review.

i have had no problems, the quality is great and if i had it all to do over again i would certainly buy it again! i have a wii, sat. dish and hd-dvd player hooked up and all are super.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints So Far, 12 Aug 2008
M. Holley (UK) - See all my reviews
Very impressed with this purchase so far. I have only used SD upto now but have no complaints with what I see. I can only imagine i'll be more impressed once I go HD and upscale to 1080P. I agree the sound ain't perfect but I have no need to have it blasting and it does what I expect for the price I paid. This topped with the excellent delivery provided by Amazon earns it 5 stars in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the price, 26 Jan 2009
I bought this TV in august. I am very glad with the results as it has a crisp image and excellent blacks. However as described in previous reviews the sound has something to be desired and requires extra more powerful speakers perhaps (which would add base)

1.0 out of 5 stars samsungs not the best quality in my experince with them, 23 April 2009
J. Dance (uk) - See all my reviews
my mum had a samsung that had gone wrong and it had been repaired 3 times in 3 months, the last time it was taken away by samsung they left her without a tv for 6 or 7 weeks, samsung customer service was not very helpful and after many phone calls to them they finally agreed it was not worth repairing again and sent her a new tv, i took a chance and got the samsung le37a559, bad mistake on my part as it went wrong after only 2 weeks, (so in my experience with samsung tv's they have not been very good), i sent it back to amazon and had no problem getting a refund, well done amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is definately the tv for you!, 14 Sep 2008
I bought this tv two days ago,and if any of you are reading these reviews because you are unsure of the picture quality, well, fear not. This tv is amazing. I previously had a 720p HD LCD by Beko (intro HD telly for me a year or so ago costing £350!) and to think £550 buys this Sammy is unbelievable.

PS3 games look fantastic and blu-ray is, as u'd expect, simply breathtaking. I cannot stress how great the picture and audio is. I would have only a few minor criticisms, those being a lack of a one button pull up menu to browse input channels, (you can scroll easily with one button but otherwise u have to go through a menu system to get to the inputs)and the in-built freeview (as i'd imagine is common to all other tellys) cannot be connected via a normal vcr for recording purposes. These are obviously so minor they should not stop u buying, but hey, im trying to be impartial!

Seriously tho, buy this tv it is pure class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Television, 3 Jun 2009
Had this TV for almost a year. As everybody else has been saying the picture quality is amazing for games and sky HD. the only 2 gripes i have are that it doesnt automatically switch to an HDMI channel when you turn whichever device you are using on but this might be a problem with all tvs im not sure. Also the sound is slightly tinny but to get the most out of your sky and xbox/ps3 you really need surround sound anyways so i'd advise a new speaker system

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great - TERRIBLE Sound...., 17 Feb 2009
This TV really looks great - the only problem is that the internal speakers are pathetic! I already had the 32" version of a samsung TV and the sound is brilliant!! - I think they simply forgot to put the speaker into my 37" one!!

Will now need to fork out for a decent speaker set!

Not very impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big TV, 9 Oct 2010
This is the first large screen tv we have had. It's really great, very pleased with this product.