on 9 September 2008
I bought Navigon 2110 Max from Amazon.co.uk with next day delivery and it arrived on time. The device itself is good. It connects to the sattelite very quickly and nicely navigates throughout the journey. I've done a long trip from London to Weymouth via Stonehenge and it did work well. I bought speed camera subscription, 24 month maps update and TMC info and it seems to be a good investment. The lane assistant, voice guidance and real view pro work good. Easy to use, the only downfall is the address input window which is slow, but it doesn't cause any problems. I like Favourites and Last destinations list which saves plenty of time. I also like the "take me home" button which I was missing on my old Navman.
on 21 April 2009
After reading several reviews on various sat-navs I opted for this one because Navigon seemed to score quite favourably on accuracy of maps and efficiency of calculated routes.

Having now got a working unit I have to say this bears out. The map data does seem to be good - I bought the Freshmaps update (using the 80% discount voucher, which was very good value) and uploaded the 1Q09 maps. Experience so far is that the speedlimit data on these maps is also pretty good (central London / Surrey).

Instructions are clear, although as someone else mentioned it does say "turn left....in half a mile", which can get you a little twitchy if your just going past a turning when it does so. I'm sure this is something I just have to get used to though. I found the Points Of Interest (POI) features quite useful - includes petrol stations, golf clubs etc. not just tourist features.

Routes get calculated quickly and if you do make a diversion it re-calculates the route very quickly and with no drama (I used to have a Garmin that would annoyingly announce "recalculating, recalculating" whilst it worked things out).

However....

My experience has not been an entirely happy one and I found this to be far from a plug-and-play machine. If you don't have much patience this may not be the system for you.

As other people have mentioned the manual is only available online, but this was not a massive problem - a few MB pdf download.

To get going you have to install the interface software on your computer (Navigon fresh I think its called).

Having done this, when you first plug the device into your computer you need to register it (all necessary data was supplied in the box I received) and create an account. To use the features I then had to upgrade the device software twice. Why you can't get a single upgrade I don't know, but it asked me to download version x.x.12, then immediately after got the same message again saying upgrade to x.x.13. This all took me about an hour I guess over broadband.

Following successful registration and software upgrade I then purchased the Freshmaps update service (which involved leaving the Navigon interface programme and going to the online store). Upgrading the maps took about 3hrs, but to be fair it was around a 1.7GB download. I would note at this point that the supplied memory card has only 2GB capacity and I do wonder whether I will need to buy a new one for the next update to be able to maintain full European coverage.

The first unit I received appeared to work fine, but after spending a number of hours going through the above process it transpired that there was a software fault (when you went to 'navigation' from the start screen it asked you to select a map, but then couldn't find any on the system). Having been advised by Navigon support to re-load the maps (another 3hrs) and reboot the device this was still a problem and I had to replace it through Amazon.

I can confirm what other reviewers have said; Navigon support is pretty poor. Twice (via the UK support number) I got through to people who couldn't speak English, but promised to get an English speaking colleague to call back. They actually did so once, several hours after I had phoned.

Once the replacement unit had arrived (and again upgrading/registering everything) I found that it took a very long time for it to find decent GPS reception first time out. I took it on about an hour's drive out of London, and it hunted for reception the whole time. On the return journey it did pick up reception (Tip: it might have helped that I specified the start point this time).

I haven't used the Outlook sync function so can't comment on that.

In conclusion, this is a device that works well once it's up and running and I would be giving it a four or five star review for clarity and accuracy from my experience so far. The sheer amount of messing around to get it set up properly, the slightly clumsy interface software and the poor level of service from Navigon support knocks this down to 3 stars... and might just have someone with a shorter temper flinging it out the window.
on 7 February 2009
I bought this for myself the other day and I have to say that it doesnt disapoint me at all. Lots of options and never lets me down ... a great buy.
on 14 August 2014
I bought this for my dad and he loved it. He liked the big screen and the fact that it has functionalities for lorries (cause he drives one). He also liked the variety of maps available and other little perks like live info on traffic and nearby stops etc. Unfortunately a year later it was stolen so I replaced it with a newer model.
on 16 March 2009
Great Sat-Nav unit with good maps, speed traps locations, TMC very handy for London driving. I mostly use in and around London and apart from me panicing and getting things wrong (my fault, not unit) it works a treat. Todate it has only not located one speed trap out of the hundreds on the streets of London (lucikly or I'd have been banned by now). Speed indicators for the many differing limits is also acurate.

Simple to use and efficent on re-routeing, pleasant spoken voice from unit. Best get the spoken street names upgrade and the two years of updates.

High Recommended, used also to get to address in Paris (Corbervoie)without problem.

Only limited by the user.....Search Google/Navigon site it you realy need a proper manual guide but still easy to use without.
on 9 March 2009
I've had an opporunity to have a good play with the navigon. First impressions are ok, I'd have liked a mount that would attached to the front quarter light and swivel 90 degrees, the outlook sync isn't able to read addresses properly, not sure why. Other than that, directions are clear (it even says "please" <g>) and the gps reception is great (even indoors upstairs). Will try it out on a long trip this weekend with the updated maps (was great, update corrected dodgy speed limit info). I like that you have the option to upgrade the software from the Navigon site to traffic reports, 3D landmarks and text to voice and such. Would have got 5 stars had the outlook sync'd right.
on 13 May 2009
Having had a number of 'sad' nav's previously I had always been somewhat dissapointed in them.

The Navman I bought was shipped with out of date maps (over two years old) and they wanted to charge me £99 for map updates when the unit was sold for £120!

The Navigo was a nice wide screen but (to me at least) was quite obviously designed by someone who had never driven! The application was buggy and crashed frequently and support was non existant.

So, those experiences in mind I decided to do much more research into this one. The plain fact of the matter is that, for once, opinions of both owners and reviewers conincide with the Navigon 2110 MAX. It works reliably, latches on to satelites very quickly from cold and has an intuative interface.

The Lane Assistant Pro when using the motorway is such a simple but oh so effective innovation. It's saved my bacon more than once as it reflects exactly what is actually on the overhead signs - brilliant!

Volume is good and the sound is very clear. I just love the fact that it says 'please' too. I've realised that the fact that previous ones didn't subconciously grated on me. My 5 year old says, "Isn't that lady nice daddy?".

I have signed up for the low cost Freshmaps. Just £20 for 2 years of updates - a total no brainer for me.

At the time I also signed up an addition that reads aloud the road name as you approach and enter it. This has made things safer in my view as I'm now looking for the road name and not taking my eyes off the road to double check with the device. That said, it is a little limited in its use. It's fine with 'simple' names but when we went to Wales it didn't even bother!

There was some criticism of the mount shipped with it. Persoannly, its been without fault. The battery life is superb too when used walking.

If there is a criticism, it's the TMC. Yet again it's free in most places but here in Rip Off Britian we have to pay!

It does have a very useful PIN protection feature. However, I suspect I'm like most others in that as you have to enter it every single time it is switched on I have ended up disabling it. If it were asked for once a day it would do its job and would be used by everyone.

All in all this is the best Sad Nav I've owned or used. It's great valuie for money BUT it's becoming a rere beast to find because of it. If you need a reliable and useful Sad Nav buy this before it dissappears!

David
on 22 June 2009
I bought the Navigon as I had to drive in Italy to get to my holiday villa. The unit was easy to instal and set up and took the pain out of driving. My wife normally does the map reading but gets car sick when she looks at the map. Now my Navigon politely gives me polite precise instructions in good time and neve gets mad when I take a wrong turn. She instantly recalculates the route and calmly instructs me. The 3d view is first class, I found it very easy to see the marked route and relate it to the actual view. The case is so small it can fit in your pocket. It was a bit fiddly fitting into the holder at first but once I got the hang of it it was ok. I like the low light night mode, I find it useful at night to show me if there are bends ahead when driving down country lanes.

There was no need for registrations and downloads if you dont want to upgrade software or maps, all you have to do is switch on. You need to download the manual though as the box only contained fitting instructions.
I would thoroughly recommend this product and wish I had bought it years ago.
on 29 May 2009
I bought this Sat Nav for my daughter I've never wanted one, but this Sat Nav is very impressive some of the reviews say that it's slow first time we didn't find that plugged it in and away we went. The first and only problem we had was the language was French, didn't know we were English, on big problem we changed it and put our first destination a local road a few miles got us there no problem, not the way I would go but it's not from around here, next the Post Code test no problem again, as my daughters a new driver and hasn't been on the motorways that was Dads chances to try it out now here this Sat Nav is the bees knees as you come to your exit the screen changes exit signs are there junction number destination the whole works very very impressive the only negative is, it isn't supplied with a home charger because people love to play with them and you just can't play
on 5 March 2009
I originally gave this device a 5 star review, that now HAS to go down to 2 stars due to a real problem that Navigon have with ALL their SatNavs. When the clocks changed a few weeks ago, the Navigon device DID NOT change the time. Therefore, when ETA is up on screen it is an HOUR out all the time (for the next 6 months anyway). Navigon support is useless and they blame the satellites ! - NO other suppliers have this problem. Navigon REFUSED to help at all. REALLY useless customer support. On a far more positive note, AMAZON's customer service is peerless, the best I have ever experienced. So the short review is DON'T buy a Navigon, DO buy from Amazon whatever else you get !