on 19 May 2008
This release of the 2007 Broadway Revival of one of Sondheim's finest moments is an absolute must-buy for theatre enthusiasts. Matter of fact, I'd highly recommended it even for those who are merely flirting with the idea of a theatrical dabble.

Whilst the thrill of experiencing something magical in a theatre cannot be matched, the bittersweet flipside of this truth is that there are so many legendary productions which we'd love to see captured and released on film; however diluted the experience may be. Those of us not fortunate enough to catch a show during its run can usually only daydream about experiencing our favourites. But here we have an opportunity to experience something of a modern classic, and it's an absolute treat.

Chances are you've not stumbled onto this page without some idea about the basic premise of Company, so I won't regurgitate the plot here. Perhaps you're familiar with the songs from past productions or recordings, but - like myself - weren't lucky enough to catch this particular production on Broadway. If that's the case, then I cannot recommend this DVD highly enough to you.

Raúl Esparza is simply masterful in the lead role; hitting all of the role's demanding nuances, yet also allowing others to shine when it's their turn to do so. Indeed, each and every cast member is surely at the top of their game for this recording of the show.

Replicating the instruments-onstage twist of Broadway's most recent Sweeney Todd revival, the resultant production of Company is revelatory, and the song arrangements are sublime. Furthermore, George Furth's book makes the show feel more compellingly contemporary than I could ever have imagined.

By the end, having been put through the emotional wringer, and having frequently laughed out loud, I couldn't wait to experience this production again and again.

A word about the disc's technical merits: the sound quality is superb throughout, and works with the intelligent editing and stellar anamorphic photography to make you almost feel like you paid $100 for a seat in the theatre. The only slight disappointment is that the cover suggests Special Features of "An Audience with Stephen Sondheim" and "Video Interviews with Director John Doyle and Actor Raúl Esparza", yet I'm afraid I've searched each and every nook and cranny of the menu screen without finding either (and after having had the carrot dangled, I'd have appreciated them).

Still, this DVD more than justifies its almost giveaway price for the production of Company alone, and I only wish all live theatre recordings were this impressive. The bar has been raised; kudos to all involved.
22 comments44 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2008
I thoroughly agree with everything the previous reviewer has said.
Like the previous reviewer, I can't find the extra features. I am particularly keen to see the 38-minute interview with Sondheim. Reading through the reviews on the U.S. amazon site, I notice some of the reviewers allude to the extras, so they obviously do exist! If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks.
on 16 July 2008
This disc is NOT 'All Regions' but Region A. So if your machine only plays Region B like mine you're just throwing your money away.
Not a happy buying experience.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
You will notice that most of the reviews for "Company - A Musical Comedy” (or “Steven Sondheim’s Comedy" as its sometimes known) are for the ‘DVD’. But if you want to upgrade to BLU RAY and you live in the UK - it poses a problem...

Both the American original BLU RAY issue (2008) and its reissue in 2011 as "Company" on Image Entertainment are REGION A LOCKED - so they won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are). And at present (March 2014) there appears to be no European or Region B alternatives.

Until it gets a release on this side of the pond (Region B) - it's another case of Region Coding restrictions denying buffs the BLU RAY they want....
on 26 June 2010
This reshaping of the 1970 Sondheim classic is really a fine piece of work. The filming is never distracting, as can be the case with recorded stage performances. A cast full of musically and comedically gifted performers, really do the music and the lyrics justice. The fine line between comedy and tragedy is tread with expertise, and this production will surely move you to feeling both of these. This review would not be complete without noting Raúl Esparza's fantastic portrayal of Robert, his voice does magic on that stage. Wonderful!
VINE VOICEon 7 October 2008
I saw Sam Mendes' production of Company about ten years ago, and loved it. This brought it all back. It's amazing how memorable and moving this musical is. I loved the actors, the wit, the music and the slight bitterness that runs through the drama. Is it anti-marriage? Well, it certainly doesn't shy away from its disappointments.

Still it's set in New York. Hardly an easy place to be happy. This play doesn't date and it shows America at its sophisticated best.
on 27 December 2014
Amazing show and incredible performance. I recommend this dvd as a masterpiece to anyone interested in musical theatre.
The only downside is that there are no subtitles available. The dialogue and specially the music goes quite fast and sometimes it is difficult to follow.
Therefore, if you are not really fluent in english I would suggest you to buy the libretto and read it before watching the dvd.
on 26 January 2013
I saw the original London production as a young man. Loved it but of course Donna McKechnie's great dance is only to be seen in clips on You Tube, and it was a very long time ago.I recently watched a home recorded broadcast of the London revival, and on recent viewing find it very unsatisfactory. The dialogue is very awkward and though very well acted a lot of the singing is poor. Clips of the Sheffield production look interesting. I have only seen clips of the Raul Esparza performance on You Tube, and he is wonderfully talented and charismatic. I thought it was very good... until I viewed the clips of the concert performance with the New York Philharmonic. Neil Patrick Harris sings with a more supported voice than Esparza, less breathy,and is touching and moving. You can easily believe all his friends want him. And Patti Lupone is at her very very best... her performances as she has got older have been toned down, but every phrase is shaped and pointed, bitter and funny. Please can we have it released on a Region 2 DVD.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2009
The standard DVD does work on region 2 (UK) players, but the bluray does not. I have both, and after finding that the standard disc played on my region 2 player, I assumed that the bluray would also do so, but it does not. Keeping it though until I can get a multiregion bluray player.
on 22 February 2012
enjoyed the live production at sheffeild end of last year , infact went to see it twice , pitty the cast isnt moveing it into the west end , so decided to buy this dvd version , was wondering about it being an import , but decided to get one as my old dvd in the loft would come out of retirement so i could play it , so when it arrived i first decided to try it in my sony blue ray ,which says area B , but suprise suprise it played without any problems , and realy enjoyed this production ,
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse