‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, 19 Jun 2008
This review is from: In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Finally after years of waiting the BBC have got round to releasing this classic comedy. And the good news is that there has been (as far as I can see) no editing done and it seems to be just as I remembered it. All of the (now) politically incorrect words and insults are in there. The best thing about this comedy is that it reminds me of the days when we laughed, not at, but with each other and without fear of offending someone. If you are a fan of Alf's or are wondering what this is all about then I encourage you to buy this because past fans and new fans alike can both get some great enjoyment from watching this DVD. I can't wait for the second series to come out later this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars About time too!, 11 May 2008
Barry Martin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I was beginning to think that this gem had been scuppered by the dreaded, all-pervasive powers of Stalinist political correctness that blights our existence these days. It's wonderful to see it released after so long - let's just hope it's not emasculated by editing.
Alf should be allowed to stick his foot in his mouth as often as possible: if only our po-faced masters would understand that we're laughing at Alf and not with him (the vast majority of us, anyway). Looking forward to watching Alf's philosophical pub conversations with Arfur English again; the sexual tension with Mrs Hollingberry (!); Marigold; the Spike Milligan cameo as 'Fancy Fred' and the poor put-upon neighbour Ken Campbell. Classic British comedy as it used to be - and not a lousy Little Britain, Reeves'n'Mortimer or the ******* awful Russell Brand in sight. Bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars BLOODY MARVELOUS INIT!!!, 26 Oct 2008
Bloody classic alf garnett,
I have the previous 72-74 series on dvd and was waiting foe these gems to come out and im so glad they did.
I just love alfs take on life although biggoted and bad tempered you cant help laughing at his reasoning.
I wont give you a run down on the episodes but just to say theses gems are well worth collecting before the P.C pundits try and ban them or they go discontinued.
I pre ordered the christmas specials back in september and cant wait for them to be finaly released.
Sad to see else finaly pass away but alf does not lose his opinions on life and the welfare state.
Winston is a brilliant addition to the family and upstages alf in most episodes mrs hollingberry starts off as alfs nemises and ends up being the new mrs.
Classic comedy..
Great service from amazonuk to a gratefull ex pat in the USA.
Nice one guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Aug 2008
W. Hutchinson "whutchin2" (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
The rantings of Alf and the acquiescence (mixed with contempt) of those around him make this one of the best comedy TV series produced. It is a continuation of 'Til Death Us Do Part - I think it tops that programme although it did not have the same contemporary impact in the 1980's as `Til Death did in the `60s.
I loved Series 1 and immediately ordered Series 2 when it became available, I do so hope they release Series 3 to 6 which only consist of seven episodes I think. What happened to the 1986(?) Christmas Special? It is a breath of fresh air.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 14 Mar 2013
Mrs. Lmwilliams (somerset england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
what a good buy good quick service kept us laughing all the way through dont think wed be able to get away with some of his comments but brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny dvd, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Wow.. So funny.. Old style humour that is not available any more... hilarious. A must watch if you have an open mind a like to laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars in sickness and health, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
First of all first class all the way from a time when being a English man in his own country was ok today we have taken a back seat in our own country and let everyone else have more rights than we do only thing is where do the english people belong as it's not in England so say the government

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Not only did I receive the item I time, I was surprised to see that Alf was still funny after all that time. Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars BBC pull their finger out!....., 20 Sep 2008
A R Hartley "Monkey" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
My god this has taken its time to come to DVD, the follow up series to Till Death us do part finds Alf older and still not any wiser...

Im only 26 myself but remember these fondly when i was young, realy because of Alfs rants. The series is slightly more light hearted than the original TDUDP, less political and more about Alfs aging adventures.

Im lucky enough to have the complete collection uncut and very un-PC. I realy hope this hasnt been chopped and messed with as BBC love to do with their dvds (Bottom and Only Fools come to mind).

If your a fan of the original series, this is a must!

I think the only sad part of this first series is Dandy Nichols looking so ill and passing toward the end of the series, a great shame.

Classic BBC tv before they got politically correct!

5.0 out of 5 stars -, 20 Mar 2010
This review is from: In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
As you might expect, this will take no prizes for political correctness - but then, if it did you wouldn't be looking here, would you! Alf at his best - or worst, depending on your point of view.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD]
In Sickness & In Health - Series 1 [DVD] by Warren Mitchell (DVD - 2008)