5.0 out of 5 stars camera from heaven software for dummies
I bought this camcorder even though I had read the previous customer reviews, I simply didn't believe a company like JVC would deliver an item that was so difficult to operate.

Published on 20 May 2009 by A. Cunningham

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by software
I have to echo the previous reviewer's frustration. Beautiful camera, delight to use and videos, once recorded on your camera, can be played back on an appropriate televison in astonishingly beautiful High Definition.
Published on 22 April 2009 by G. W. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars camera from heaven software for dummies, 20 May 2009
A. Cunningham (N.I.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JVC GZ-HD6 Ultra Compact High Definition Camcorder With 120GB Internal Hard Disk Drive (Electronics)

The camera itself is fantastic, build quality is sturdy yet compact and light, the functions are simple enough for a beginner yet offer loads of features if you want to play around with it. The quality of the image is probably the best I have seen, when you see your film in full HD it makes other more expensive models look rather poor.

As for the software issues... I plugged it in with the USB cable and within a minute I had transfered my first video clip, I edited it using the very basic but good software and was able to burn ir to DVD within a few mins. I also exported it as a variety of formats onto my thumb drive just to see if I could play them directly through my TV, which I could.

I really cannot find fault with the cam, it looks great, works brilliantly and produces images which are true HD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by software, 22 April 2009
G. W. Brown (Wigton, Cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
BUT, once you have archived your vidoe files on to your PC, and removed them from the camera to make room for further projects, there is no way you can re-instate them on to the camera and view them again in that glorious HD. UNLESS you purchase one of their "Share Stations", at a minimum cost of over 100, which will record your HD files on to DVD-R DL discs. As far as I can make out these discs can only be played back on to your HD TV using the Share Station, cannot be edited before hand, and, thus, canot be shared with others unless they have the same equipment.
The camera comes with software which includes Cyberlink Power Director Ver 6.5. With this you can edit your scenes and produce an HD Video file, which, the program infers, can be replayed on your HD camcorder in the origonal high quality. BUT there is no way you can get that file off your PC on to your GZ-HD6 camcorder to play it!!!
Also be aware that, while Power Director V 6.5, will allow you to edit the camera's output and produce video files of less than HD quality, you cannot burn these to disc unless you upgrade to Version 7 at a cost of about 50.
I did upgrade to Version 7, but so far have not been able to complete an edited project. On every occasion the program has crashed during the rendering process. I have E mailed Cyberlink customer support detailing this crippling problem and have now been waiting 48 hours for a reply.
If your wish is to produce, view and share edited productions in HD, or indeed, as things currently stand with me, in ANY quality, I can only recommend you avoid this beautiful camera, and the HD Everio range, until JVC address these problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful upgrade from your SD Camcorder, 5 July 2009
Seems this camera picks up a lot of comments regarding JVC's implementation of Transport Stream HD Files. After some research I came across some Freeware called "Mpeg Streamclip." This allows you to batch convert/transcode the proprietary ".TOD" files to most other formats - including .TS or .MPG files which play quite happily on a PS3. Suddenly, this camera looks very flexible and, at 40 less than I just paid for it in June, fantastic value. Just point Mpeg Streamclip at a selection of files on the Everio hard-drive and it'll chug away, remove the .TOD wrapper and process it - without any harmful transcoding - into mediaplayer-friendly .TS or .MPG.

For me, this camera is a welcome upgrade to my 12 year old JVC DV Camera and the results look great on a 40" 1080 Display.

Negative stuff: Microphone is little "off-axis" so doesn't pick things up as well as it might and the lens suffers a little drop-off at the edges - but, I can live with those at this price. I recommend it. I've given it 4 stars simply because JVC have made it so difficult to find a solution to the .TOD files - it has taken several days and lots of fiddling around beofe I came across Mpeg Streamclip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its an HD camcorder..., 22 Jun 2009
Paul Jones "chez_bab" (Swansea, South Wales) - See all my reviews
... what else did you expect> >:*)

As a camcorder, its pretty good. It films in Full HD which is very nice, altho, that said, it still doesnt seem as nice as broadcast camera footage when shown on tv. For domestic use tho its very good, and the hard drive is big enough for a w/ends filming even in in full HD quality.

The only downside, for me, is that the batteries dont last very long and youre tied to JVC`s very expensive Data batteries which, to be honest, are probably 2 or 3 times the actual cost of a comparable battery.
In the old days, your equipment would tell you when the battery level was dropping, now, makers think we need to know the actual percentage of of battery level remaining - not true - just give us cheaper batteries and I'll manage the old fashioned way!

Thats about it really.

5.0 out of 5 stars excelenttttttt!, 2 Jun 2009
J. Madeira - See all my reviews
Very good machine, now i have to buy a blu-ray recorder to gain total quality of this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Camcorder at a Super Price, 22 July 2009
Hugh Martin (FIFE SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
I couldn't believe the price of the item (just google it and you'll see what I mean) but it's the real deal. I have all the software needed to edit on my pc and burn to disc. I've given it a test run and the picture quality is as you would expect from an HI-DEF camera.Excellent just excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera from heaven, Software from hell, 9 Mar 2009
Tatiana Crisan (UK) - See all my reviews
After extended research, I ended up buying this camera. It was perfect, small, pretty, HD, 3CCD... Little did I know that I was wrong.

Why have the most amazing camera in the world, when you can't really use your movies? You can't get them out. JVC amazes me... how can you develop such rubish software for such a amazing piece of hardware?

Make yourself a favour... buy something with Mini DV. Unless you are some computer specialist, ready to crusade against the worst piece of software ever made by human kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Mar 2014
Would buy another camera by this company, but a more up to date model it is a little outdated with whats on the market