5.0 out of 5 stars Car navigation
In my eighties now, I have difficulty reading small print on a map. I live in Central Europe and still drive extensively, with my wife.
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 255WT after looking at everything on the market. The Garmin had the brightest, clearest screen. The maps are easy to read and the voiced instructions clear and precise. A wide choice of languages...
Published on 26 Sep 2008 by Mr. John E. Bourgaize

1.0 out of 5 stars Better than a Tom Tom but behind Navman in every respect
Bought one of these to replace my 6-year old Navman ICN 510. The 255 WT has not moved the art forward one bit. The software is clunky and the routes defy logic and are either via a motorway at all costs ( on the fastest option) or on the back roads from hell on the shortest option. No way of selecting a balance as per the Navman. Also it gives you street names for the...
Published on 10 Dec 2008 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 255W Sat Nav, 4 Sep 2009
James Rook (Surrey U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Nuvi 255W Traffic Widescreen Satellite Navigation System with Full EU Mapping (Electronics)
I thoroughly researched Sat Navs prior to purchase. I read all the reviews I could find and as a subsriber to Which? magazine also saw this model as a best buy. I purchased this just prior to a holiday in the U.K. where we would be driving around a lot. All I can say is WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!! I have never gone the wrong way so many times in my life. Within three days of my holiday I had to purchase a paper road atlas so we could find our way around. Even when I put my home address as a destination it gets me within 100 yards and tells me to turn left into a different road when my road is on the right! Whilst it worked well on occasions (about 1 in 5)I would definitely not buy one again. I suspect rather than being a problem with Garmin this is probably across the board with all Sat Navs. Stick to the road atlas and save your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 255W, 30 Dec 2010
Nightmare! Ordered and PAID FOR on the 13th Dec and still nothing. No feedback and no tracking data.

Very poor service.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor service, 5 Dec 2010
waited for this satnav for two week never got her waited for a refund for three weeks never use amazon again

1.0 out of 5 stars Infuriating if you want to have some choice over your route...., 15 April 2010
I read loads of reviews and this satnav came highly reccommended and was a best seller etc.

Yes its light weight and small so you can pop it in your bag. Apart from that I find it absolutley infuriating. In fact i find it so infuriating that I wonder if i am missing a trick when using it? The instruction guide is minimal and the on-line version sheds little more light on things. My main purpose for buying a satnav was that although i roughly new the routes i was taking i wanted the reassurance i was going to right way and to have advance warning of which lane to get into etc.

My big gripe is that I can not easily influence the route it takes. Perhaps someone out there can tell me where I am going wrong. Example route... I want to get from SE London to a location in cambridgeshire which is on the A1. I sit near a window so i get satellite reception and pop in A to B locations. The Garmin provides me with a route through central London and up the A1. I know that via central London involves congestion charge and lots of traffic so I would prefer to go via the blackwall tunnel and up the M11, then cut across to the A1 on the A428. From my experience the only way to influence the route is to add via points... So I add a few via points by zooming in on places, then clicking go, add as via point... I selected blackwall tunnel first, but then it was still sending me back into central London. So i zoomed in on M11 and added it as another via point. Now it looked to me like it was showing me the route I wanted.

I set off, all fine until the black wall tunnel, under I went... but then it was telling me to go round again and back underneath in the other direction. Urgh I was stuck so pulled over and tried to reprogramme a new destination. So I set off again for the M11 on what i had clicked to be M11, however I must have clicked saffron Walden despite the little tag just saying M11. So it started telling me to get off the M11, and for the next few turns it kept trying to send me back to Saffron Walden. There is no easy way to cancel a via point, and it seems you have to get to the exact point you clicked on for it to think you have been there and let you move on to the rest of the route. The easiest thing is to go through the journey in small steps and set a new destination each time, but you can not do this while you are in moving traffic.

When I got back i plugged it into the laptop thinking that there might be some functionality through the laptop where you can design your route and upload it to the satnav... apparently not??

To summarise, if you have absolutely no idea how you are going to get from A to B then I am sure this satnav works fine. If you would like to avoid some roads, or have a vague idea of a sensible route you would prefer to take other than that suggested... think again about buying this. This is my first satnav experience so I am not sure if others are better or if my gripe is true of all satnavs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Muist have cigerette lighter to recharge, 15 Sep 2008
P. Davison (London / UK) - See all my reviews
Design Flaw.
My cigarette lighter does not work in my van, and the Garmin will not navigate while charging from any other external power input (goes into computer connect mode). That makes it completely useless for long journeys.

My brother's Tom Tom One works fine allowing navigation while charging from any external power supply (Although it does tend to crash when running under the battery and cannot be restarted until plugged into an external power supply, making it too unreliable for me).

4.0 out of 5 stars not used yet, 10 Jun 2010
I GOT THIS SATNAV FOR MY SONS BIRTHDAY IT TOOK HOURS TO DO THE FIRST DOWN LOAD OF UPDATE MAPS HE HAS NOT PASSED HES DRIVING TEST YET SO IT HAS NOT BEEN USED SORRY THIS MAY NOT BE ANY HELP TO ANY ONE