5.0 out of 5 stars Dispelling Horror Stories
Published on 17 Jun. 2011 by Reviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare
I'm not sure if my experience with this device is normal, but so far mine has managed to make all the saves on a memory card invisible, no device I have can see them, yet they take up space on the card.
Published on 19 Oct. 2010 by Tav73

5.0 out of 5 stars Dispelling Horror Stories, 17 Jun. 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Datel Max Drive: 128MB (PS2) (Accessory)
There are, admittedly, many review of this and similar products which carry ominous portents of wrecked memory cards and saves consigned to oblivion. Whilst I'm not saying that this never happens, it has not happened to me. I have a rather old PS2 with three memory cards from about 2003, they are all full of gamesaves. I have successfully used the Max Data device to transfer saves both from my memory cards to my computer and vice versa. Whilst the interface is slow it appears to get the job done and the GUI is user friendly.

There are also some worrying reviews which mention problems arising from crushing and uncrushing saves (compressing and then decompressing them to save space), whilst it is true that all saves loaded onto the USB device are crushed by default, and this is annoying, I have not after some considerable period of use had any problems with it. There is a modest database of saves that come with the device which can be decompressed onto the memory device of your choice in the PS2 program, unfortunately, I have yet to find one that works (preliminary glances suggest they are all for US versions of games, the majority of which differ from European ones on a basic level, and thus the games cannot load the saves).
One of the most worrying things I read in the reviews though concerns the apocalyptic aftermath of utilising the Max Memory utility to delete files from memory cards and of compressing 'genuine' PS2 saves onto your memory cards. My advice to those in doubt would be to use the PS2's native OS to delete things from the memory card, as that won't cause problems. As for space issues, move the saves (uncompressed) onto the USB device, and then compress them there, they can then be stored on your computer until needed, without threatening the integrity or your memory cards or, more importantly, your other saves.

In short, if you want to use this device to transfer new save files from pc to PS2 or PS2 to pc then this device is perfectly fit for purpose, if you want however to specifically use it to compress the saves on your memory cards to save space, then I would advise buying a different product (though I cannot say for certain that this feature universally ends in disaster, as I said above, for I have never dared try) I would instead invest a similar sum of money in something like the Max Memory 64 MB Memory Card (Max Memory 64mb Inc 10 Classic Retro Games (PS2)) as a backup for all of your saves, which is what I have done and works a treat.

Hopefully this has assuaged the fears of some of you, I have had a good experience with this little gadget and, save compression aside, it is an excellent tool.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare, 19 Oct. 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Datel Max Drive: 128MB (PS2) (Accessory)
The compression/decompression/transfer of saves seems broken. The software ALWAYS compresses the saves when they're placed on the drive. Upon transferring the saves back to the Official Memory Card, the saves become corrupted.
Being able to transfer the saves uncompressed would have been useful.

In conclusion:
I have lost an entire cards worth of saves and half of the space and saves on another card. Can't say I'd advise anyone to purchase this.
Hopefully this is just my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 7 Mar. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Datel Max Drive: 128MB (PS2) (Accessory)
Just ordered this product and so far it works great. It makes it very easy to transfer Pro Evolution Soccer files from my pc to a ps2 and vice versa. Would highly recommend.

Datel Max Drive: 128MB (PS2)
Datel Max Drive: 128MB (PS2) by Datel Direct Ltd (PlayStation2)