5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class My Boy!!!
Ah! Black Orchid, one of my truly favourite pieces of Doctor Who serialage. It's hard to describe why this small 2 part tale works so well for me, but, suffice to say, it just does. The story is by no means original, epic, consequence driven or even action orientated, but charm, now this is evident in abundance. Peter Davison's first year as the Doctor has always been one...
Published 1 month ago by The Real M.B.E. Of Tooting

2.0 out of 5 stars Well, stripe me pink
Strange story altogether, and I wonder if Terrence Dudley ever really properly understood Dr Who - beyond the need to get the scripts delivered on time - but then, he produced Survivors for three years, and I'm not sure he always understood that either. It's not just that this isn't sci-fi, I'm not sure it's even Dr Who.

Though it may simply be Dr Who...
Published 5 months ago by Alex Lyon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who + Agatha Christie - the original you might say, 17 Jun 2008
David (SPECTRE Island) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Doctor Who - Black Orchid [1981] [DVD] (DVD)
I really like this story. As other reviewers have stated it's an Agatha Christie style mystery with the Doctor thrown in for good measure. I do feel that part 1 drags in places - how many shots of Adric stuffing his face or Tegan trying to dance do we really need. Luckerly things really do spped up in part 2. In fact they could have made it a 3 part story for better pacing.

As per usual Peter Davison, Sarah Sutton, Mathew Waterhouse and Janet Fielding provide a very entertaining commentry track. You can tell they do not like this story very much. It's nice to hear actors enjoying themselves rather than woodenly chatting about how great this scene or that actor was.

The extras are up to the high standard we have come to expect on the classic Doctor Who stories. So all in all a very enjoyable dvd in a year that has provided some slightly dissapointing releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort food, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who - Black Orchid [1981] [DVD] (DVD)
I am going to be mildly controversial here and support this DOCTOR WHO release!
As a long-term fan I am naturally nostalgic and wear 'rose-tinted spectacles' whenever watching Dctor Who; what genuine fanboy wouldn't? Tom Baker was my first (and favourite) Doctor and Peter Davison comes second - mainly due to his tenure being during my adolescent and formative years. I remember both of these stories clearly and fondly: Black Orchid is one of the best Doctor Who stories ever realised on TV - mainly because it's so cosy and redolent of the kind of fictional England that only ever exists on TV, (think Midsomer Murders, Poirot et al). Although, as often stated, the plot is fairly mundane, it is a lot of fun - not one but TWO foxy Nyssas, a marginalised Tegan, an intriguing sub-plot and that all-pervading 'Englishness', summed up by cricket, high tea and The Charleston!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xabe18fe4)

Doctor Who - Black Orchid [1981] [DVD]
Doctor Who - Black Orchid [1981] [DVD] by Peter Davison (DVD - 2008)
10.23