5.0 out of 5 stars Best and fastest UWA lens out there for cropped sensors!
Excellent tank-like build quality, lovely image quality and how could I forget the fast f2.8 spec on the lens!

Published on 21 Feb 2010 by elwk

1.0 out of 5 stars Back focusing
The lens I was sent by Amazon was back focusing at 2.8. I tried it on a Canon 1000D with center focus mode, with other lenses (all Canon) focusing fine. Sent the lens back for a refund.
Published on 26 Feb 2012 by Claudio Braidotti

5.0 out of 5 stars Best and fastest UWA lens out there for cropped sensors!, 21 Feb 2010
This review is from: Tokina AT-X PRO 11-16mm F2.8 DX Lens - Canon AF Mount (Accessory)

I owned both this and the Canon 10-22mm and ended up selling away the 10-22mm because the range did not matter that much to me. With a wide-angled lens, I ended up using it at the 11mm setting most of the time and switch to a kit lens if i needed more range. The f2.8 also comes in very handy when shooting indoors without bumping up the ISO levels. Compared to the 10-22 (which imo feels very plasticky), this lens is one solid brick!

I'll highly recommend this lens to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb wide-angle lens, 24 Aug 2010
It was very difficult choosing between this and the Canon 10-22mm, the Canon offering obviously slightly bigger range than the Tokina. And Tokina offering F2.8 compared to Canon's F4.0, which is quite a big difference. Both having excellent optics, but with the general consensus seeming to be that Tokina would the winner in optics (if one had to choose). And Tokina also being the slightly cheaper one, but not by much. Oh and the Tokina comes with a lens hood; now this may not seem like much, but a lens hood is pretty much mandatory if you're planning on shooting in daylight with a wide angle lens. So with Canon, you would still have to fork out some extra cash for that despite the higher price.

So really the only thing that was worrying me was the short range on Tokina that have made some people to say that this is actually a prime lens. And I suppose it holds some merit, but even the 6mm range is quite a lot in the short end. Yes, I would had liked to have the 1mm extra to go to 10mm and yes the 17-22mm on the long end was tempting, but in the end, you know what, the 11-16mm seems to be enough.

Now after getting this, I haven't been disappointed. It is rarely I put on my Sigma 18-200mm lens anymore. The difference on the image quality is just too much to bear. The pictures are very sharp and there is very little distortion or vignetting. Sure you might get some on the widest setting, but even that is relatively easy to fix in Lightroom or other such program. And there is no lens on this range that wouldn't have it; Tokina's distortion also apparently is less than that of the Canon (or so I've heard).

It really is perfect for landscape and architecture photography. It's also very good for shooting inside, because of the wide lens and the very high aperture. This allows you to catch much more area in your picture and shoot with much faster shutter speeds. Now it is a wide-angle lens, so there are some challenges in shooting people for example with this. The perspective distortion isn't nowhere near as massive as with fisheyes, but you can't escape it, every wide angle will do that. And that is part of the fun, it does allow you more creative flexibility, especially if you shoot at 11mm. So it will take some practice. At 16mm it is much more forgiving from perspective distortion point of view. Also the F2.8 allows for some interesting depth of field possibilities.

So to summarize, very fast wide-angle lens with quality optics but with somewhat limited range. It seems like a solid lens, with good build quality. And even despite that slight shortcoming of the range, I would highly recommend this to anyone needing a wide-angle lens for their non full-frame sensor DSLR.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wide angle lens with a flare...literally, 6 Aug 2011
I finally took the plunge. I have been monitoring the price of this lens for way too long. I have read countless of reviews, watched the same 3 video reviews on youtube a lot more times than any sane person would do. What does it really feel owning this lens?

First, let me deal with the only reason why I knocked off a star on my rating - flare. Like I said, I've read the reviews so I knew that people had issues on flare with this lens. I can say from personal experience that those claims are not baseless. You have to be very careful when shooting with bright lights. It is a pain but it can be done. I did not want to take a whole star just for this after all, most UWA lenses suffer from flare in different degrees. But there is no option to reduce rating by half or a a quarter of a star.

Now let me describe how I felt when I first looked at my very amateur photos taken with this lens - disbelief. For some reason my photos are now more interesting than before. The lens gives a very different perspective and I can't stop exploring different angles because it is so much fun! If you love landscapes, then you will not regret buying this lens. If you love low light photography of big buildings (and you shoot on an APS-C sensor) then you should have this already on your kit. If not, please explain to me why. :-)

I like the colour on the photos, the build quality and the constant f2.8 on its (very short) range. I like the reaction I get from my family when they see the photos taken from this lens. They can't believe those shots were taken by me, a very novice photography hobbyist. Sorry I can't really compare this to other UWA lenses because I never tried anything else. Maybe there are better options. But I guess I would never know because I do not plan to replace this lens until it disintegrated or my skills exceed my current crop sensor camera which are very far away into the future!

By the way, I had the most horrible buying experience yet on amazon for this lens. I paid for the special delivery option but it took 4 business days more than the estimated time of arrival. This was on top of the 2 days delay in dispatch. When the box arrived, the packaging tapes were barely holding the amazon box together. It was a miracle that the product was not damaged. To be fair to amazon, much of the 4 days delay are likely caused by HDNL. Anyway, I just thought I would share this but I did not take this into account when I rated this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super wide angle, 3 Nov 2012
S. Gee "stewgee" (London) - See all my reviews
I received my Tokina 116 from ProCameraShop a few days ago, priced at 364. The lens has been attached to the front of my EOS 60d ever since. This review is about the lens, not the buying experience, but I'll say a few words on that front as well.

I bought this lens for several reasons:

1 - more or less universally recognised as the sharpest, highest image quality lens of the APSC ultra-wide set (not withstanding Ken Rockwell's championing of the Canon),
2 - excellent build quality,
3 - priced at same or less than all bar the Tamron lens, which is recognised in all reviews I have read as the weakest of the set in many ways,
4 - wide f:2.8 aperture.

Concerns were:

1 - very short zoom, less than 1.5,
2 - reputation for chromatic aberration,
3 - and that's it.

So far I have put the lens to limited use indoors and out. The lens is superbly built - way tougher feeling than canon, sigma and Tamron offerings. I find the new angle of view exciting and it adds a dimension to my picture taking. The lens is very sharp indeed - notably better than the kit lens or my Sigma 18-200 os. I don't miss the extra zoom - indoors a single step forwards would give you the extra reach and out doors I think I'll either be stepping up to a much longer lens or staying within the range here.

I have found that at 2.8 images are acceptably sharp and I can get a snappy enough shutter to capture fast moving family members, at sensible ISO, and outdoors I can do what I like. Indoor test shots have worked wonderfully, and outdoors I have been able to get ridiculously sharp images with nice punchy contrast and colour. The much feared chromatic aberration hasn't been an issue - dimly visible at 100% but otherwise not.

I can't wait to get in some time making buildings loom and taking dramatic candid street captures. I will update this review after a few weeks of use.

In terms of buying, I would heartily recommend ProCameraShop - they are upfront that much of their stock is grey import, but they're UK-based and a little Web research will show how good their customer service is. If you are concerned about grey-Ness, you might like to consider how many of the sellers you are looking at now stock all genuine UK equipment only - a minority I fear.

Delivery was excellent and communications were great from the off. I will be buying from them again...

Edit:

A little over 6 months on I have shot thousands of images through this lens and I love it. I use it for just about all I do - urban landscapes, family pics and street photography, and I find that you just need to get closer (I went on holiday with just this and my nifty 50 recently). This doesn't harm the images at all - quite the contrary, you just have to adapt your approach. I have attached my 18-200mm only once in all that time.

In terms of the common criticisms for this lens:

- Flare is an issue, but easily dealt with if you have a spare hand to provide a little extra shade. I have also had great fun shooting into the sun at f11 or above producing great effects with a little fill flash.

- Pop up flash does cast a shadow because of the size and angle of the lens, but shooting in daylight (pretty much the only time I use flash) this is generally not an issue as with a little thought you can lose it against some fairly bright background. Obviously, if you have external flash with you, then this isn't an issue.

- The slightly unusual manual/auto transition works well. Still not sure I wouldn't be just as happy with a switch. No sign of it getting loose or clunky in any case.

- Chromatic aberration really isn't an issue - very much overstated

- Short zoom range isn't an issue - it's rare I depart from 11mm so the option to go to 20mm wouldn't mean that much to me really.

I genuinely can't come up with any serious downsides to this lens. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ultra wide angle, 18 Jan 2014
Cannot recommend this enough.

Pros:
- Good sharpness
- Large aperture which is great for low light and indoor video
- Very well built

Cons:
- Does suffer from flare but not to an extent I would choose the canon 10-22mm over this
- Focusing ring clutch does take a bit of getting used to
- The extra 1mm would of been nice but not a big deal really

Overall very solid ultra wide lens (probably the best ultra wide angle for canon crop sensors), I personally choose this over the canon 10-22mm and sigma 10-20mm options and regardless of price I would still buy the tokina every time. The tokina is vastly superior to the sigma options (the tokina costs more but is definately worth the extra) and the extra range of the other options is not partically useful when most of us with APS-C sensor canons have some form of kit lens to cover 18mm+. Lastly if you were considering the mk 2 version, I wouldn't bother, this version is virtually identical and a marginally better multicoating isn't worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Images, 11 April 2012
I am a comparatively novice photographer who is very keen to develop his skills to a higher level.
I read widely about this lens before purchase and the general consensus seemed to be that for the price this was best in class.
I've now been using this lens for a few weeks now on both my Canon EOS 60d and EOS 400d and my findings are that this is indeed a very good quality lens with excellent image quality throughout the aperture range from it's very fast f2.8. My images have been very sharp with good DoF.
The only reason I haven't awarded 5 stars is to do with the fact that i find lens flare is almost unavoidable if shooting towards a strong light source even if that light source is angled well away from the lens. The lens hood that comes with the lens obviously prevents a lot of flare but it doesn't eliminate it.
As with all my lenses, I have an UV filter on the front to protect it, and lens flare is obviously far worse with that on, so i find it better to remove this filter if taking a shot in the direction of the light source. This improves the image but doesn't completely eliminate the flare.
This could be part of the learning curve for me of course and I will try other things.
Overall, would i recommend this lens? Without doubt YES

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 22 Feb 2013
I photograph a wide range of things from derelict buildings to landscapes and portraits. I wanted a lens that was a decent price, well made and fast. I was in two minds between this and the Sigma but after playing around with them at a local camera shop, I decided to by this Tokina and wow it's outstanding! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid lens, 27 Mar 2013
It's summer here and everything is covered in snow, so I haven't had many opportunities to put this lens through its paces. I also can't compare this lens to any equivalent because it's the first time I've owned a lens of this type. I will say that, so far, this lens is great.

It has a nice build quality and a slight weight to it(which I like). The zoom and focus rings have smooth movement. Auto-focus seems fast and accurate. Changing to manual focus is a little different; instead of having a dedicated switch, you slide the focus ring down(I'm not sure if I like this yet). When it comes to image quality, this lens it's amazingly sharp and the colours are great.

The only two problems I noticed with this lens is chromatic aberration(very minor) and lens flare. However, they are avoidable problems and only occur in certain lighting conditions.

So far I think it's a superb lens and a worthy addition to any photographers camera bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens, 7 Sep 2011
First time I have owned a wide-angle lens and must say it is brilliant. Was all set for the Sigma but upon reading reviews (Photo Plus Canon Magazine) I chose this one, more or less because it can shoot in low light. Lens hood included which is great and the build quality is robust.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp as a button but you will need a big bag!, 18 Jun 2014
Hi I have used this lens for interiors photography and I am very happy with it indeed. It does have a little colour fringing but I am yet to find an ultra wide that does not. Overall it is very sharp (much sharper than the Canon 10-22mm in my opinion - which I have now replaced with this). It does have a unusual ring at the top for manual focusing, this ring has been attacked as slaughtered in video reviews but I think it works quite well. One minor negative point it that he lens comes attached to the hood and I think this cannot be removed which means it is a monster to store in your camera bag! Still a great lens though.