‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No better than this, 11 Dec 2008
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
TV in Britain. We're stuck home watching genre busting magnificence like US drama The Wire. Where do we turn for some authentically UK goings on?

Bring on Skins. Every British kid who can remember being 16-18 in the last decade can recognise the characters in Skins, or at least can see clearly two or three people who that character is made up of. That age was emotional for us all, I'm sure. This series is an essay on that time, what it meant, and what it could have meant.

Skins blends brilliantly in and out of the authentic, and the comic, and the purely fantastic. The sad, and the hilarious - and the 'I don't know, but god I can feel it like it was yesterday'. I've never felt so close to a collection of characters.

Even in the bits that grate a little, this shines through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Series Ever from Britain (but only the first 2 seasons!), 3 Mar 2009
H. Kale - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I really liked the storyline and the characters of this series, especially the stunning performance of Hannay Murray as Cassie. Until i realized her there, it was just a nice series, but after her, it has become an addiction for me. The scripts are well-written in almost every episode and the music is great. Some episodes on DVD have different music tracks than the ones aired on TV (ex: Season2 Episode 9). That's the only thing i didn't like about this nice dvd set. I can understand if it was a 'law issue' but if wasn't, I surely can't. TV version was surely better in that manner.

DVD set has nice extras like the missing scenes and interviews. In addition, it has Radiohead(!) music at the background in menus. This might give you some idea for the quality.

I can recommend this item for anyone who enjoys good acting and smart writing. This might easily be the 'Friends' of England if they didn't change the cast completely after season 2. Still having hard time to believe it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Series I Have Ever Seen, 30 April 2008
D. J. Cox "skinfan" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This show is just phenomenal and every episode with it's twists and turns and lighter comedy moments undercut with darker stories leaves the viewer feeling they have been on a televisual rollercoaster ride with the young teen gang.Oh and what a gang they are!

Leader of the gang Tony (Nicholas Hoult) is superb as the manipulative leader that makes things happen. Nicholas Hoult is a top young acting talent and I am sure it won't be long before he's back burning up our screens. Full marks to the others especially Hannah Murray who plays Cassie, Mitch Hewer who plays Maxxie and Joe Dempsey who plays Chris and the rest. It really is hard to single out the best performance after Nick as Tony.

If you have never seen Skins before then the two box set is the only way to go. Each episode is sort of stand alone concentrating on one of the main characters but there are also continuing threads and some surreal moments. Best way to enjoy Skins is to suspend beleif as to whether you are witnessing a dream sequence or reality and go with the flow that way you will soon understand where it's coming from.

Sadly the producers have decided to go with a completely fresh cast for series 3 but they will have some way to go to top this lot. Television doesn't get any better

5.0 out of 5 stars Embarassingly I love it., 15 Jan 2009
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I first watched an episode of skins purely out of curiosity, and afterwards said it was absolute rubbish and I wouldn't watch it again. But then the next week I was curious again and gradually I became absolutely complusive about it. By the time the second series came out I was unashamedly plugging it to my friends.
Not every episode is great, but there are enough absolute stunners to keep your curiosity up. No matter how hardened you think you are it can be shocking, and no matter how prudish you will be fascinated. Mostly though it's just absolutely hilarious. And did cause me to cry on more than one occasion, and I'm not very given to crying at TV.
I'm not really a box set person but I think I will be buying this one. If nothing else, it makes my own friends' dramas seem manageable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A show made by brave people, 28 Oct 2009
J. Enrique Gonzalez Carrillo (Mexico City, MX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Never crossed my mind that there was this kind of shows somewhere in the world.
Here (Mexico) the goverment don't let to this kind of things to be broadcasted under the foolish excuse to be "inmoral", "inadecuate" and therefore "ilegal" if there hasn't be edited in order to be suitable for the sanctimonious people.
And this model lies in the audience of the "open" TV. Even for the ones (including me) that have access to the restricted TV found some censorship here and there, and we think it'd be the same in other countries.
Fortunately I was wrong. Skins speaks about the adolescence openly, making feel yourself so alike to the caracters, with their troubles and doubts. That's a good show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best British TV show in a long time, 22 Dec 2008
L. Lambourne (Wirral, Merseyside, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this boxset for the simple reason Mitch Hewer was in it. But, once I'd watched the first episode, I was hooked. It is so much better than it seems and definitely not just another teen drama. Well worth the buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 July 2008
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This is the best show ever made!
Laugh, cry, scream at the tele.

I am only just getting over my post traumatic stress disorder from the end of season. Watch it you wont regret!

5.0 out of 5 stars skins, 24 Jun 2008
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely genious. Not only the fact that they decided to base it around Bristol - a city that rarely features in any films or TV series, but also the fact that both series 1 + 2 could sustain is brilliance too a tear-jerker of an ending.
Okay - we can question whether teenagers really do get up to the stuff that is shown on Skins, whether they drink, do drugs, completely screw up their A-levels in the way theses lot do. Also, the acting can fall limp and become almost squeamish to watch sometimes more with a couple of the characters than the rest.
But when ts good, its brilliant. An ingenious plot containing some hilarious characters and some well known faces cooks up a treat. Skins is both ridiculously funny, and heartbreakingly sad. It has times of awkwardness and times of excellent, flowing plot.
I completely recommend this boxset to anyone who is interested in indie-British TV, or who has passed by it in a shop. Pick it up, pay the small sum of money, take it home, book yourself a day or two in front of the telly, and become emersed in the moments of tradgey and hilarity of skins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Great product great value :)

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I brought this because i am a danny dyer fan and it was good to have for my collection. I did enjoy this is.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Skins 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] by Nicholas Hoult (DVD - 2008)
36.58