5.0 out of 5 stars Living great with iLife 09

Published on 13 April 2011 by John Gammon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Living great with iLife 09, 30 Jan. 2009
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
While some may argue that iPhoto has had the most radical changes, it's GarageBand which has had the most updating. The changes provided make it a much more user-friendly and accessible little program that I hope encourages more people to persue their musical interests. This is catalyzed by new features as 'Learn To Play', 'Lesson Store', 'Magic GarageBand', and 'iPhone Ringtone'. You can still as standard play with GarageBand after selecting Create New Project, and while the new interface looks more modern, it is the new features which are intriguing. Lesson Store is quirky; for 3.95 you can buy lessons for an instrument of your choice, as well as choosing a Tutor. More instruments have been included too, which can still be imported into Logic Pro.

iWeb 09 has 'finally' had a makeover! You can now upload your website to ANY pre-paid domain you like, which means goodbye Mobile Me. To put this in English for those who don't understand, you can now 'buy' your web domain [[...] site).co.uk etc...] to use with iWeb. I've recently bought a couple for myself; each just 5.99 for 2 years. Hopefully, this new addition will encourage more young/inexperienced bussiness minded people to make a site without the scary world of HTML coding. Other additions include a few extra themes and the new Widgets feature, whereby you can upload 'mini' apps on your site. Combine this with instant site updating once you make changes on iWeb, and FaceBook notifications, and the few changes included are definitely worthy.

iPhoto combines the central new features of 'Faces' and 'Places'. The idea seemed a bit passive to me at first, but it's only once you see it in action that you can appreciate the recognition technology involved. iPhoto 'automatically' recognizes photo's from your album that match your face, meaning that once you've named one new person, teaching iPhoto the recognition is simple. Enter a person on Chalkboard, and you can Confirm multiple (not just one by one) faces at a time, which takes away alot of time. Places is perhaps not so relevant, as it requires more information, but also clear location if you want it done automatically.

iMovie, probably my least favored program of the package over the years, has also had some improvements. Performance may still not be your Mac's best friend, but the new range of effects and sequences are fantastic and well worth a look. The interface doesn't look too different, but noticeable changes lay not just in content, but the ease of uploading video's to particular websites.

iDVD is understandably still the relatively same program as beforehand, and I can't see any changes from before. It's interesting that most promo's of this package only highlight the previous 4 programs, so I would suggest this isn't seen as a front-runner like it's counterparts.

My argument will always suggest that Apple should provide a better discount for existing Mac owners upgrading (at any time), but when you consider that fifty five quid for 5 great quality programs is actually very competitive - what may put people off is the fact that they'll only use a couple or 1 program from the suite, which is entirely understandable. What is unfair is when reviews become biased towards 1/2 programs which affects the ranking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy upgrade to iLife '08, 28 May 2009
A. I. Mackenzie "alimack" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
This is the first time I've actually paid to get an upgrade to iLife, before I just went with the version that came on the mac I got until I got a new one.
I'll review them in the order of use by me!

**iPhoto** (6/10)
A useful upgrade for this component, the main new features are 'Faces' and 'Places' although there are a few new other things such as Facebook integration and new editing features.
Faces isn't perfect, although it chugs away for a while on first opening categorising your photos, you need to do quite a a bit of manual work to get get all the faces categorised properly. You can select ranges of photos, which helps but although this feature is fun it's not quite there in terms of ease of use.
Places is pretty useless without a GPRS enabled camera/phone, although it may come into its own over the next few years.
The Facebook integration is excellent and after an easy set up allows you to easily upload photos in one step. There is also flickr integration tied in.

**iMovie** (9/10)
Basically this is what iMovie '08 should have been.
There are lots of little additions that make movie editing much simpler such as the precision editor, new titles and effects. Ironically if you've never used film editing software before this is the easiest way to get started, whereas a lot of more experienced editors need a time line and don't like the new iMovie because of it, it's fine for beginners. I find this programme to be an easy way to prepare clips for the web or disk. I've used the precision editor which is very handy and the new transitions are very nice. iMovie '08 could be very fiddly, but this is a nice revision.

**iDVD** (2/10)
No changes here, which is a shame, it could do with more titles and themes and I find this programme to be less than intuitive and quite fiddly. I think Apple should look at revising it in the future. I still use Disks!

**iWeb** (6/10)
One big feature here, the ability to FTP to third party site - in other words you don't need MobileMe any more. Previously you had to publish your site to a folder on the Mac and then use Cyberduck or equivalent to move the files to your server - this was fiddly and time consuming as you had to guess where the changes were. This upgrade is worth it alone on these grounds. There are a couple more widgets but otherwise this has had only cosmetic changes.

GarageBand (7/10)
I'm afraid I only use this sporadically, but the new lessons might tempt me in at some point, the celebrity lessons are a brilliant idea. Another decent upgrade.

So generally very good, a bit of a missed opportunity with iDVD and iWeb. Worth upgrading from '08 if you use iMovie '08, need FTP in iWeb or lessons in Garageband. If none of these features appeal you can probably keep your money in your pocket. Faces isn't worth upgrading for on its own, and if you prefer iMovie '06 there's probably less to tempt you. A solid upgrade but patchy in some components.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy upgrade to iLife 08, 19 Sept. 2009
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
Having had my mac for 18 months and pleased with the iLife 08 software installed on it, I never thought about upgrading to iLife 09, as I only really used iphoto and iweb. As I have no movie camera, I have never really got into imovie, and not being able to play any musical instruments, never really used garage band, except for messing about.

Finally, i resisted the temptation and got a copy of ilife 09. Must say I am very impressed with the new iphoto. On it are 2 new folders called faces and events. Faces focuses on a face in a photo and you put a name to the face. It then searches through your photos saying that these may be the same person. You can then either click on it to confirm, leave it out or double click to say it is not. If there is a group, hold the mouse button down and draw a box round to confirm. The more you do this, the more accurate the results seem to be. However, there are still some photos that it does not recognise. You can then click the name button and res-size the face box. Move it to the face and click done. Then add a name to the face and then done. Clicking on the faces option shows a cork board effect withe each face on it, so you can quickly see all the photos of that person by clicking on the face. You can skim through the folder if you want. Initially you will need between 15-40 minutes whilst the computer scans all your photos for faces, depending on your library size. Mine took 25 minutes for 2,500 photos.

Places lets you add a place where the picture was taken. Click on the little i button in the bottom right and the picture flips over to the back, showing you a location and map. If you have a GPS in the camera and geotagging, this will be already done each time a picture is taken, otherwise you will need to add it yourself. This will take a long time, and am not sure if its is worth going through all the photos I have.

The picture editing is even better now, and you have buttons to automatically send a picture to facebook, flickr, mobile me as well as email.

With iweb the greatest thing is that it has built in FTP support, so you can publish to any ftp server. Before you could only publish to either a mobile me account or the computer, then use another piece of software such as cyberduck to upload your site. This should have always been included, but glad it is now.

Garage band now seems much more sophisticated. You still have the same features as before, but now you can learn to play instruments, create iphone ringtones and have more control over what you do.

Overall, it was worth the update for what iphoto has to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A few days early ^_^, 20 Jan. 2009
A. GILL "ag55" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
As if Amazon's description of iLife 09 wasnt enough, here's my hands-on review!
INTRODUCTION
This sort of thing never happens to me, but yesterday i recieved my pre-order of Apple iLife 09 about a week early! iLife was the thing i was most excited about at the Macworld 09 Keynote, i followed it throughout the day via Engadget waiting for the big announcment. Im sad like that. Anyways, once i opened the Amazon packaging and stared at it for a few minutes in amazement, i wasted no time in setting it up and trying it out.

I hope this review helps you in making a decision to upgrade or stay with your current versions. Its a pretty short review (considering what iLife offers), and i'll be focusing on some of the main points of iLife -- and also whats new in 09.
IMOVIE (my favourite) >>>>> 9/10 <<<<<
iMove is the easiest and fastest way to edit a movie and get it to youtube in my opinion, however it was still flawed. While editing a few clips, i noticed that these flaws are gone which i think makes it a perfect movie editor. (By flaws i mean things like not being able to pull audio off on track and place it on another -- of course in iLife 09 you can easily do this now)

Though not revolutionary, some of the new features should prove really useful. The ability to remove 'camera shake' and create smooth videos was the best for me, and then you also have options like adding a map to your videos -- people who travel a lot and keep a video diary etc of where they been should really like this.

iLife's precision editor is a much better way to edit in my opinion, and the titling is improved too. Bottom line is that this is a wonderful replacement to the previous iMovie, a solid recommendation on my behalf >>>>> 9/10 <<<<<
IPHOTO >>>>> 8/10 <<<<<
The new changes to iPhoto make a huge difference. It doesnt take much for my photo libary to become a mess, and finding the right shot can be a job in itself. Tagging each photo was like a mountain to climb, so i ended up ditching it.
A new (and revolutionary feature) in iPhoto 09 is the ability to tag a face. It then goes through your library finding the same face and tagging it for you. If its unsure about anything then it will ask you to confirm. I really liked this touch, for my photo library it worked 60% of the time, still i was impressed.

*** This worked perfectly when Apple demoed it, with their beautiful pictures, but not all of us take beatuiful pictures all the time! ***

Another big plus is adding compatability for Facebook, not only will iPhoto 09 upload photos to Facebook, it will also sync the names of the people in your photos when your Facebook friends tag them. In addition, there are Flickr uploads, Google Maps integration (ability to geo-tag your photos).

To finish off with iPhoto, the new slideshow animations look fantastic -- pure eyecandy. As with all of Apples themes it looks great. Again, another solid recommenation closely behind iMovie 09 >>>>> 8/10 <<<<<
GARAGE BAND
I dont use this, but thought i'd take a look at whats new. It looks pretty similar to the previous version, but there are some new 'Learn to Play' tutorials where people like Sting will teach you how to play. Only supports guitar and piano so far, but hey its Sting teaching you. These are available seperatley to download, and i didnt see anything for the UK yet -- they are only available to select countries so we may get booted out yet again.

I cant properly review Garageband because i dont use it, so i'll leave that to you
iWEB >>> 6/10 <<<
The new iWeb isnt that different to the old one, but keeping along with the new version of iLife, it now offers social network integration. Things like telling your friends on Facebook your site has been updated. I also found some new themes which were nice. A decent >>> 6/10 <<<
FINAL THOUGHTS
Oh and not to forget, iDVD is unchanged. But discs were so last year anyway so it wont matter a whole lot.

Overall, iLife 09 is a brilliant upgrade. For me the main players were iPhoto and iMovie, offering a lot of new features and, especially in iMove giving it that extra depth people were asking for, making it an almost perfect movie editor.

The new features such as face tagging, places and geo-tagging, social networking integration may not be for everyone. e.g the photo tagging face feature only worked for me 60% of the time, you could have better or worse luck than me so you have to decide if your happy with iLife 08, and if the new features appeal to you and you see yourself using them.

iLife 09 gets 8/10.

2.0 out of 5 stars My African holiday, on iMovie and iDVD, 13 April 2011
John Gammon (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
I bought this product specifically for iMovie and iDVD, so that I could transfer some video tapes to DVD. Right away I've had to buy two unnecessary products, but that's OK if what I wanted worked. (Incidentally, I didn't buy the later version of iLife, because of the suggestions given on the comment pages on Amazon that it wasn't as good as this version.) Unfortunately I've been having a great deal of trouble with it. The first thing is the process seems unnecessarily involved, and there's a very steep learning curve. There's limited help from the Apple tutorials, which are aimed at people making pretty collages out of their African holiday snaps rather than someone who wants to know what all the menu items mean. Basically, you need import your material into iMovie and add chapters and chapter headings, then the whole project needs to be moved to a "share" system, where you retrieve it in iDVD and add menus to it.

There seem to be a lot of unexplained bugs particularly in the iDVD program. If you've made a mistake at the iDVD point, you might have to start again rather than sort it out at that point. Only if you go back to iMovie, make your changes, and share the file again iDVD seems to get confused about the chapters and jumps each one to exactly the same place. One of my first projects seemed to get corrupted in some way: while the menu and scene pages were intact, the movie had disappeared. Sometimes the disc shoots out of the Mac about a minute before the burn is done, for no apparent reason, ruining the disc and forcing you to start again. This often happens on the burning of the second or third disc, but it will also ruin the first burn sometimes too. (I know this is not my Mac at fault, which is top of the range.)

There are several oddities like this that have to be negotiated, and when you use Google to help you find lots of people in the exact same boat who are also not able to find the answer to their problems. In the several months I've had iLife, I've only been able to make two perfect DVDs. I will persist, but it doesn't live up to the (typically for Apple) claims of ease and user-friendliness made in the product information. How do these people get away with this year after year?

5.0 out of 5 stars Ilife 09, 17 Mar. 2009
Ian Wickham "Ian Wickham" (Mulbarton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
I have been using Ilife 06 because of the bad write ups for 08, but I have edited a couple of movies now and I think it is great

5.0 out of 5 stars iPhoto '09, 3 Nov. 2010
Daniel White (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
iPhoto seems to have been given the most attention out of the entire suite of apps so I was looking forward to having a go. The most eagerly anticipated feature in my opinion had to be the Face Detection and Face Recognition closely followed by the Facebook integration. So without further ado, here's some of my thoughts on the new toys in iPhoto '09

Face Detection
The first new toy that I was eager to play with was the new Face Recognition feature. But, before any of that, iPhoto has to look through your library and find all of the faces within your photographs. iPhoto took about an hour to go through my 3,930 photographs that I had previously loaded into iPhoto and placed them into Events. I left mine overnight.

I noticed that as it was going through, it was picking up multiple people in photos and also the faces of people that were in the background of the photos (with other people in the foreground) so I was very impressed with the level of detail in the detection of people's faces, it even detects the sides of people's faces! It even managed to find people in some of my not-successful night pictures without a flash where it would be difficult for a human to see a face, let alone an algorithm. It also made light work of my poorly scanned film photos and photos from my first digital camera, back in the day, which had an amazing(!) 640×480 resolution.

It seemed to whizz through photos pretty quickly so I'm confident it won't take very long at all for iPhoto to handle a `normal' import of photos.
An amusing anomaly was the fact that iPhoto managed to recognise the "face" of a goat produced with flowers.

Face Recognition

This was one feature that I was a bit skeptical of in the Keynote. I thought it would be an idea that would be good in practice but doesn't really work in reality. I was therefore pleasantly surprised to find that it actually works quite well.

For those who don't know, you simply select one of your pictures from your Library with some faces on it and you tell iPhoto who the picture is of. iPhoto will then look through your Library and looks for pictures that contains what it thinks is the same person. The more you confirm within iPhoto, the more reliable it becomes:

I was impressed that it iPhoto was able to recongise faces even if they weren't looking directly at the camera and that it can sometimes recognise people even if they are pulling a funny face. I found that it likes certain people more than others and is therefore able to recognise them more easily. I also found that it seemed to recognise females more accurately than males.
It was also interesting to see that it sometimes got me and my sister mixed up. I suppose this has something to do with everyone saying we both look like my Dad. Interesting that it didn't cross reference any photos of me as my Dad, Jill as my Dad or vice-versa.

Places
Unfortunately, I don't currently have a geo-tagging camera or an iPhone so I can't really benefit from this new feature. That being, the ability to plot where you've taken all of your photographs onto a map.

You can go in manually and tell it where you took each photo, or a general location for an entire event/album. It's not quite as good, but it gives you the idea. I found that whilst it handles cities and towns very well, it doesn't recognise many locations (like Museums, etc) outside of London. You therefore have to find them via their postcode, road and town.

Photo Upload
The new version of iPhoto has a wide range of options for you to be able to upload your photographs to other places, particularly on the Internet. Along with the familiar export to e-mail and iWeb (iLife's Web Authoring Application) you can now upload to MobileMe (Apple's replacement to .Mac and rival to Microsoft's Mesh), Facebook and Flickr. I'm really excited about these because it means that I can now use iPhoto to centralise all of my Photographs and what I do with them. It means that I will be able to load my Photographs straight into iPhoto from my camera, rotate/crop them and then upload them straight to the relevant place depending on what the photos are, without having to then re-export them from iPhoto, log into Facebook/Flickr and then make an album and upload them. Now, it's all just one click!

Slideshows
I've always been a big fan of the Slideshow capabilities with iPhoto. It's one of the reasons I bought a Mac in the first place. As mentioned before, it's often that I get asked to do slideshows for family and events.

The best feature in my opinion is infact the most boring one. A complete redesign of the way iPhoto exports the slideshows. The slideshows always look awesome in iPhoto, but sometimes they looked awful after being exported and you often found that the slideshow wouldn't open in anything, including Apple's own iTunes and you couldn't play them back on the Apple TV. Now, Apple have made it possible for, not only for you to play them back on these devices and automatically add them to iTunes, but to be able to choose the size of the exported slideshow file. Previously, when exporting video, videos were 800×600 wether you liked it or not!

Apple have also introduced Themed Slideshows, much like the titles with iMovie. So you can now create a great looking slideshow within seconds along with all the usual music and transitions.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good Life, 16 Jun. 2009
Mega (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
I just love the way Apple makes life so easy and this is another slick and easy to use package from them. You are able to combine photos (iPhoto), movies (iMovie) and even make your own soundtrack (Garageband) with lessons from Sting, then make it into a DVD (iDVD) presentation for all the family and get all the praise while iLife does all the work for you. I even went on to make a web site (iWeb) and stunned all my friends who thought it was done professionally. All these apps. in one package gives iLife 10 out of 10!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets even better, 13 July 2009
Mr. Michael A. Nuttall "Mike3292" (Channel Islands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
Apple keep on improving their products and this is no exception - it does everything I want of it and more and the graphic handling capabilities are so much better than MS Office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and oh so sweet!, 20 Feb. 2010
This review is from: iLife '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
I'll keep this short just to add to the other comments made about this product.
In short, there is no other software package that comes close to the usability, speed and reliability of iLife.
The powerful but simple tools in each programme churn out end products that look professional and not "home-made".

Don't even think, just buy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

iLife '09 Retail
iLife '09 Retail by Apple (Mac, Mac OS X, PowerMac)
Used & New from: £69.99