4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant & Productive, but still more to do.
The iWork package is how office software should be done. Easy to use, pleasant to look at and intuitive this is exactly the kind of quality people expect from Apple. The package includes the Pages word processing application, Keynote presentation software and Numbers spreadsheet tool.

I'll start with the best part of the package, which is Keynote. Keynote was...
Published on 22 April 2010 by Dave S Sparrow

Published on 2 May 2011 by one book at a time

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant & Productive, but still more to do., 22 April 2010
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)

I'll start with the best part of the package, which is Keynote. Keynote was where iWork started and it's so much better than the alternatives. Making a presentation with something like Powerpoint is easy, but making a good looking presentation is hard. Keynote goes that bit further and making a professional looking presentation can be easily done by an amateur because of it's design. Aligning text and images is so much easier and better in Keynote, more font options are available too. Importing pdf files is done much better than Powerpoint (this is thanks to OS-X). The transitions and animations are much better than the competitors too. Keynote is well worth the money by itself.

Pages is another great application, it benefits from the same advantages as Keynote. Easy to use and easy to make great documents. I often find that Word really suffers with larger documents and with inserting graphs or pictures. Pages does this so much better and without frustration. The templates look great too.

Numbers is the final iWork application and is the part that still needs work. It has the same strengths as the other parts of iWork, but doesn't have quite as many programming options as Excel. I think that this will change as Numbers develops and for 99% of spreadsheet activities it's great (for more complex things you should be using a programming language anyway).

All 3 applications can work with MS Office documents fine and that's crucial for most people. The only reason I've given 4 stars rather than 5 is that I think Apple can do even more. The online collaboration will add more to iWork and further work on Numbers would push it to 5 I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Brilliant, 16 Mar 2009
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
I have been using iWork '08 for a year now and absolutely loving it. I have Microsoft Office for Mac and as I never learned to use it in work (I have never worked in an office) I never got much beyond very basic documents, and always really struggled when adding and images, or even borders!
Then along came iWork...Brilliant! It made everything so easy and beautiful, as only Apple products can. I was producing documents, posters, newsletters and presentations (all for my small business) like it was going out of fashion.
Then came iWork '09. I saw the video's and bought it primarily because of the upgrades in 'Keynote', which are excellent. They have really tightened everything else up as well though, and 'Pages' is much more of a word processing app now, and although I don't use it to that much depth, 'Numbers' now has so much more options and depth as to warrant a full switch from MS Office to iWork, certainly from an average user standpoint.
Since using iWork, my work rate and quality of things produced has increased dramatically, and iWork '09 has really smoothed out a lot of the edges and added some really stunning things to Keynote. Overall, however, the upgrade is only there for those avid fans as there are not enough changes or improvements really to warrant a jump from '08 to '09.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor compatibility with office documents - don't buy unless you work in a mac-dominanted environment, 2 May 2011
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
After making the switch from windows to mac 5 months ago and buying iwork, I have finally needed to uninstall it and get the office for mac package. I'm an independent consultant and need to exchange word and powerpoint documents with clients and colleagues backwards and forwards, and there are lots of compatibility problems. You can save pages and keynote documents as word or powerpoint, but still many tables, graphics, etc are changed, not recognised or corrupted.
Also if you save documents as the office version instead of the mac version, it is not recognised in the "open recent" menu. So when you open , say, pages and you want to come back to the last document you worked on, unless you remember exactly the name and where you saved it, it is not easy to find it because it doesn't show it in "recent documents". Also once you have saved it as .doc or .ppt and you want to save it again, the default saving location and the default name are not the ones you used when you saved it as word or powerpoint, but the location and name of the last .pages or .key document you last worked on, even if it was a completely different document. I can't tell you the amount of time I spent just searching for documents because they ended up in the wrong folder. To avoid this, the only option is to keep 2 versions of each document, one in mac version and one in office version, and then making sure they both have the same content. Far too much hassle for me.
It may be that iwork programmes are better products stand alone in terms of design than office. However if you're a seasoned office user, it is actually quite tricky to unlearn and then learn again how everything works in iwork. Simple things like formatting an object or changing bullets to me seem more complicated in iwork than in their office counterparts, because you have to open the "inspector' menu rather than clicking on the icon in the windows ribbon. I can't really see much improvement from word and excel to pages and numbers. Keynote seems to have more multimedia functionality and a very good design, but during the last 5 months it has been tricky enough to learn how to do the things I was able to do in powerpoint, so i never actually got round to the more "wow' functions of keynote. If it had been fully compatible, I would have persevered but for me there isn't much point in creating great graphics in keynote if my clients are going to see them distorted or corrupted. I can see iwork being a good choice if you can create standalone documents and exchange them in pdf format, or if everybody in your sector uses mac. If your clients are in a windows-dominanted environment, for me the discussion of which product is better designed is futile. If you're in the same situation, be warned. I bought iwork on the back of the very good reviews but I wish somebody would have told me about the compatibility problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Minor updates for an otherwise nice "home" package, 24 Jan 2009
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
With the release of the new Office:Mac 2008, which in all honestly is some beautiful software (Unlike the PC version! I now cringe when someone say's "ribbon"), iWork is something that will always be overlooked due customers being 'scared' of new software. But with iWork competitively being cheaper than its Microsoft counterpart, how does the latest edition, 09, compare?

One thing that always put me off the previous version of iWork was Pages, which I felt was the weakest point of the software as it just isn't as in depth at Word from Office. Few changes have been made to 09, but any that are included are for speed purposes. The template screen when you open up either Pages, Numbers or Keynote is a welcome addition, as is the slightly different interface which has fatter tabs and buttons in the tool bar. But if you were looking for radicals improvements over the previous version of Pages, then you may feel left out. Saying this, Pages is still a perfectly acceptable word-processing application for at home, and has fantastic image and template layouts. But for Students who regularly need to switch to Office's Word, think again - though they do work with each other, compatibility for the formatting still isn't 100%.

Numbers is actually an app I've always preferred to Excel from Office. To me, it's simpler, more customizable, and easier to form Sum's. This is probably the most updated program of the package, and with the updated graphics/templates, you can again create some even better documents. This is something I find Excel lacks, though to be fair, graphs and spreadsheets can easily be dragged over to Word/PowerPoint.

KeyNote 09 now looks almost identical to Office 2008's PowerPoint, though this is of course a major plus; I love the new version of PowerPoint. Yet more themes have been added and the usual array of fancy slide transitions and effects outdo those of PowerPoint. If its the best looking presentations you want, then this is the app, but for speed, PowerPoint is still the quickest. Integration of the Apple Remote means you can now change your slides of both PowerPoint and KeyNote, which is excellent!

Overall, the changes are few and far to make this an essential purchase. I feel the price is pretty competitive with Office:Mac 2008, but it still feels just like a cut-down version. Never the less, this may be the idea - while I feel Office is still the best for a 'student', iWork is perfect just for at home, which a lot of people forget. If you've read my review for Office 2008, you'll note how I joked about the sheer number of Negative reviews from non-student adults who bought the Student version of Office, and were disappointed it had Academic features!

Cheap-skates...

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Apple Product, 28 Aug 2009
Mr. David E. Eden "GD Techy" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
I have just recently moved over to the Apple camp, I meeded a Word Processor and Spreadsheet. I tried Microsoft Office for the Mac but found that Word was just too different from the the PC version so I decided I would give Iwork a try, and I found that it gave me everything I needed. What is also impressive is the wasy That the Mac will read Microsoft Documents and TEMPLATES. This has made my move easy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you downloaded the 30 day trial! It'll save you time and stress!, 27 July 2010
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
When I tried installing the disc it kept asking for a serial number that wasn't in the packaging.

After much internet trawling and many attempts at uninstalling and retrying the disc I found this solution:

Go to Macintosh HD > Library > Application support > delete the iWork09 folder > empty the trash > Install iWork from the DVD.

If this exact solution doesn't work for you the key elements are eliminating every trace of the iWorks trial that you can find and emptying the trash so it's gone completely.

I'm marking this down from five stars because of the above problem (I found forums complaining about it 6 months before I had the problem and Apple haven't done anything about it) and although there's many areas where it's superior to MS Word there's a few areas where Word is superior - holding Ctrl, Shift and End to quickly highlight a whole document for one minor instance.

Also for the price of a Mac (let's face it they're a luxury item) iWork should have been included along with iLife!

2.0 out of 5 stars Keynote is the only thing worth buying this for, 30 Nov 2009
M. Lewchenko (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
The pages and numbers applications are just not that good. Low on features, and buggy in the case of Numbers (try manipulating semi large imported CSV data sets and see how far you get).

Keynote is superb if you have no previous versions and certainly lives up to the hype of besting MS Powerpoint.

But overall.. if you own the previous version its a rubbish upgrade. If you dont own any previous versions, then keynote alone is worth the price. They should really throw this in with the iLife suite though.. as that would be a fair price then.

Dont get sucked into the Apple hype here.. there is much to love in Keynote, but you can take or leave the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Apple iWork, 27 Aug 2010
Craig Flint "Craiglington" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
First-timer switch from PC to Mac and yes, wished I'd done it years before. Been a Windows Word user for years so still in the learning phase but so far I am finding iWork very similar and intuitive. A few gripes aside, generally very impressed although clearly it doesn't have the depth of ability of Word. However, how much of the full capability of Word does the average user REALLY use?!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Apple quality, 11 April 2010
William Hughes "Billbo" (Harby, Leics. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
Have used Microsoft Office for Mac for quite a while. I fancied trying something else so iWork was the obvious choice. Pages is so easy to work with, glad I switched over.
There's so much in the software that I probably won't use (my needs are comparatively simple) but it was worth the investment.

4.0 out of 5 stars First time user., 5 Jun 2009
Giovanni Anchois (Milan, ITALY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
This is the first time that I use the Mac suite, and coming from the MS world this is a refreshing breath of pure air! For all 3 programs I actually didn't even have to go through the tutorials, they are very easy and intuitive to use. I cannot comment on the completeness of the features as I'm still learning and exploring myself, but at first glance most of the needed "standard" ones (and probably more) are there. I love the "inspector" concept, really makes most of the tasks a lot easier to perform.

iWork '09 Retail
iWork '09 Retail by Apple (Mac, Mac OS X, PowerMac)
32.49