5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
Published on 5 April 2009 by lone33

I orginally watched this when it was first shown on ITV1 and it had me hooked. While I didn't think it was amazing it's still a good piece of period drama with the twist of someone from our world thrown into the mix. I've never read Pride and Prejudice or any Austen novel, so I can't say how a hardcore fan reacted to this.

Disc 1 - Episodes 1 & 2: We are...
Published on 11 Nov 2008 by fantasy escapist

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 5 April 2009
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
This is surely a mini-series to be recommended. I can't think of anything that could have made it better. It's funny, romantic and surprising, and it has everything a true "Pride and Prejudice" fan could dream of. Haven't we all dreamt of what it would be like to live a day in the life of Elizabeth Bennet? Haven't we all dreamt of being sweapt away by Fitzwilliam Darcy (usually in the shape of Colin Firth of course),look into his deep, dark, passionate eyes - filled with both anger, contempt and love, and know that you are the one person who can turn him on, both intellectually and physically? Well this is your chance. I promise you; you will not be disappointed. When Amanda Price finds a door in her bathroom, which is a secret passage to Elizabeth Bennets house, she discovers a door to a whole new world. A world that is blow her mind completely. She and Elizabeth Bennet accidentally trade worlds, and Amanda now gets to meet the characters from the Jane Austen book "Pride and Predjudice" that she knows so well. A world that she has always considered to be uncomplicated and ideal, but she soon discovers that her presence there has disrupted quite a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars No singing please, 3 Jan 2009
Anthony Whitfield "Tony Whitfield" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
This is an excellent twist on the very familiar 'Pride and Prejudice'. Just one thing spoils this dvd release. In the second tv episode, Jemima Rooper, unable to play piano, entertains her hosts by singing 'Down Town',(a song her Mother used to sing to her when she was little, and bear in mind this was early 1800's). On the dvd, this two minute scene has been cut (a copyright issue so I'm told), quite making nonsense of the scenes just before and after. Otherwise this is excellent, it is well thought out and acted, and the actors well chosen. It is of course much more amusing than P&P. Pride and Prejudice and time travel in one neat package.
SINCE WRITING THIS, I'M TOLD THE MISSING SCENE IS BEING REINSTATED. THE ONLY WAY TO TELL IF YOU HAVE THE NEW VERSION IS BY THE DVD NUMBER. 37115-28213 IS THE OLD NUMBER.Jan.2009. Check reverse of cover BEFORE you remove wrapper, if it doesn't mention deleted scenes it is the new version. IF YOU REMOVE THE CELLOPHANE FIRST, YOU CAN'T SEND IT BACK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still smiling!, 25 Sep 2008
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
This is a delight, a very funny and clever take on an obsession with a particular book. It works so well because for many readers a book lives on in their imagination, they dream of what it would be like to be, say, Elizabeth Bennet. The difference here is that Amanda Price, living in 21st century London, finds herself transported back to the beginning of Pride and Prejudice. But she goes as herself not as Elizabeth. The humour comes from the fact that she is so different from the other characters but mainly because the story is coming out not as in the book. Everything she tries to do to get the story back on track with the "right" people marrying each other only seems to make things worse.

If you know the book at all, it's interesting and funny to see how things are turned on their head. I don't consider myself to be a book purist, although I do know the book fairly well but even if you are, so long as you know that this is most definitely not an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, I think you will enjoy the fun.

There are some delightful laugh out loud moments and some knowing jokes which are even funnier if you know the book and the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version. The recreation of the wet shirt scene is both funny and touching and there are so many others. (Incidentally, I think that scene is an anachronism in the earlier version so even that adaptation is not perfection in my view)

I found the first episode rather irritating because Amanda was doing nothing to make herself less like a fish out of water but I stayed with it and I am so glad I did and I think I won't find that episode so odd on second viewing.

It is well cast and this version of Darcy shows someone with a heart. This is the first time I have had any sympathy with Mrs Bennet - I felt rather more than I have ever done before the very real imperative for her to get her daughters married. I have just laughed at her before, as I was probably meant to, but this portrayal made me feel for her and for her daughters who were as desperate for husbands as she was, in one instance appallingly desperate.

This approach took a different look at the characters and played with the idea of making them or their stories different and shedding a bit more light on how things were, or how we think they were, without being too serious about it.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down Town is back!, 2 Jan 2009
psalem "paul" (Kingston, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
For some reason one of the funniest sequences in this wonderful comedy was cut when this dvd was released - Amanda singing Down Town to Mr Darcy and friends. There was a bit of an outcry, and it seems to have done some good because it's been restored! It encapsulates everything that is magic about this show. Jemima Rooper was born to play Amanda - her comic timing is spot on and she's very lovable. Mr Bingley makes me laugh every time I watch this scene, and Mr Darcy's face - at first horrified, and then secretly amused - is a great turning point in the love story. I don't know what they were thinking of cutting it before but it appears pester power has worked!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A enjoyable 21st Century spin on Pride and Prejudice but not a great DVD presentation..., 11 Nov 2008
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)

Disc 1 - Episodes 1 & 2: We are introduced to Amanda's disillusioned life in London and then how she enters Austen's 'real' fictional world of Pride and Prejudice. Obviously, things don't go to plan and stray from how they should be.

Disc 2 - Episodes 3 & 4 Plus Extras: Things seem to be looking up for our herione in Ep 3 but how long does this happiness last?
The last episode tries to wrap up things with the conclusion where Amanda is faced with an ultimatum. Does it all end happily for her and the other characters?

The acting side, Bonneville stands out with all the best witty lines and and a certain flair and gravitas he brings to his role. The rest, including Jemima are all good but he gets a special mention from me.

Cinematography wise, it's warmly lit and has lovely scenery of Yorkshire I think. I wish there was more of how life was in the early 18th century, more of Lizzy's life adjusting to modern day life in London and it's a bit predictable really. Amaiable fluff to me but nothing great. The music's got a main theme with nice strings and a floaty of not complately original tune.
Overall, for the mini series gets: 7/10

DVD Extras: Behind the Scenes: If when the last Ep 4 was shown on ITV1 you did what I did and turned over to ITV3 to watch the behind the scenes doc this is that exact same thing.
It's a 42 min technical doc showing a bit more of the work that went into finding locations, decorating sets, snd how to organise a particular scene involving a cold pond ...
There are some few brief info some of the actors give about their experiences but these aren't at a sufficient length to be insightful enough to me.
I would've liked some deleted scenes, proper in-depth interviews and maybe a commentary. This one extra only rates fair for me - 5/10.

Note: The DVD picture quality is quite grainy from maybe a suspected 'noisy transfer', which is surprising as it came out this year, and I'm used to a sharp, clear picture on DVD as a standard(I don't have the money at the mo to upgrade to HD TV and Blu-Ray like what it seems, everyone else seems to be doing ...).
Also it says on the back 'Certain scenes in this DVD version have been edited or deleted for copyright reasons' so the scene with Amanda singing Downtown has been cut, so that scene doesn't make sense unless you remember watching the original broadcast on ITV1. It's annoying really.

2.0 out of 5 stars DVD Warning, 11 Oct 2008
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
I watched the ITV production and loved this Kooky tale combining the "Life on Mars" format with to the "Pride and Prejudice" story, I loved the idea and have watched my Sky Plus copies over and over again.

But, I've just bought the DVD and found that a crucial scene is missing. In the 2nd episode, the part where Amanda Price sings "Down Town" in the drawing room at Netherfield Park and where it first shows Mr Darcy's attraction to Amanda, has been totally cut out. The DVD edition shows Amanda, Mr Darcy, Mr Bingley and Caroline Bingley sitting around the table having dinner and Caroline Bingley challenging Amanda to entertain them, and then cutting straight to the them applauding Amanda, but not actually showing what she has just done. I was incredibly disappointed as this is a crucial scene in this whole adaption, plus, the comments made thereafter don't make sense!

Yippee, we were listened to by the ITV later copies of the DVD do have the complete scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars How could they???, 3 Oct 2008
Karen Clark (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
My friends and I have loved this. Light hearted, funny and sweet, it's been the best thing on TV for ages. The only issue I have is how they can axe the "Downtown" scene. A tiny line of print on the back of the box tells you some scenes have been edited/deleted but surely they could have come to some agreement with who ever owns the copy right. Poorly edited around the missing scene, plus it was one of the highlights. ITV had better send us out a new DVD if they include it in future!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance, 25 Sep 2008
P. Maslin "Cush" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
I ignored the first couple TV episodes thinking 'utter rubbish, how can they interfere with P and P'? I was urged by friends to watch the third and loved it! Thankfully I caught up online, it was joyful and my loyalty to the Colin Firth Darcy although not surpassed was tinged with respect for Elliot Cowan's interpretation. This production made me smile and cry, don't view it as an Austin purest but as a slant on a much loved story, just enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Against my "better?" judgment!, 20 Sep 2008
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
When I first read about "Lost in Austen" in Radio Times I thought it sounded like an amazingly silly idea. I decided I probably wouldn't bother to watch it. Thank goodness my curiosity got the better of me, I am thoroughly enjoying it and can't wait to see how they get the story back on track---if indeed they do! The overall look of the production is classy and colourful,with some very intriguing new takes on these much-loved characters, especially Mr.and Mrs.Bennett and Lady Catherine. Jane Bennett's decline after her disasterous marriage is heart-wrenching, almost too heavy for the light-hearted comedy of so much of the production. As a life-long Jane Austen fan, "Lost in Austen" has proved to be a very pleasant, unexpected surprise!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best Benetts, 26 Sep 2008
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
Those that criticise LIA miss the point entirely. It is delightful and the cast superb. All are the correct age for their characters, the language contrasts are cleverly and well observed with some great interjections reflecting the excellent writing and overall production values. Miss Rooper has a very 'modern' face and to keep her contemporary hair style was an inspired piece of costuming, giving the entire production a Dali like reality. Those of us that know Miss Austen's BOOKS well, I repeat BOOKS, were treated to lots of little Austen 'in jokes'. There was not a weak link anywhere . ITV should now take the same cast and 'do' the book traditionally. We will then have (unlike the last BBC production) sets properly lit ( I suggest you try Pursuasion with Messrs Root and Hinds to get a feel for period lighting at its best ) and THE best Mr & Mrs Benett yet. In the 'Firth Davis' production, Dame Edna Everage as Mrs Benett was perhaps an inspired piece of casting, complete with the kissy kissy pouting lips ( 'she' bore a remarkable resemblance to Miss Steadman I thought ) yet here we have a REAL Mr & Mrs Benett that Miss Austen, I am sure, would recognise and delight in. Miss Kingston and Mr Bonneville particularly are to be congratulated. Miss Price's post modernist moment was great fun and a delightful satire on those, or perhaps I should say, the, so called definative production which was of course nothing of the kind. The 'Garvie Rintoul' adapation was superior in every way. As a fun romp LIA worked. As a clever twist on a great novel it worked. I am certain Miss Austen too would have been as entertained. ( Giving acknowledgement to early nineteenth precedent perhaps we should say, Miss Jane Austen ).
Lost In Austen [2008]

Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008)
Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) by Dan Zeff (DVD - 2008)