Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 8 December 2013
Of the 70 or 80 kindle books that I have ordered in the last 2 years, with just a few more of them to read this is the one I have enjoyed the most to date. It held my attention from page one and swept me on effortlessly through a very exciting and well balanced mix of murder, mystery and emotion with even a bit of romance thrown in! The characters are all very believable and the suspense never once diminishes until the case is finally solved, even if, like me, you have already guessed the villain of the piece correctly.

The author spent a generous amount of time tying up all the loose ends following the 'reveal' which I for one appreciated. Too many writers rush to clear everything up in one chapter, leaving you feeling emotionally cheated.

There are one or two typos but nothing too annoying. In fact one was very amusing, where the girl sailing the boat 'secured the jib-sheet to a wench.' To landlubbers that should have been 'winch'.

I shall certainly read more by Bill Benners and highly recommend this one.
on 26 September 2013
A very riveting read with plenty of twists and turns very hard to out down as you want to know what comes next
on 26 August 2013
Would recomend it great book full of supriises can't stop reading it even read it on holiday so get it on your kindle
on 13 August 2013
Slow at first then spell binding could not stop reading had a lovely story but quite a eye opener at the end
on 29 October 2013
This isn't exactly a bad book but it certainly isn't a great one either. If you suspend disbelief the book carries you along at breakneck speed and with considerable gusto. It's when you actually think about what you're reading that the problems become apparent. In a nutshell the story is so wildly unlikely that it cannot be taken seriously although I have to admit it's actually quite an entertaining read with some excellent descriptive passages, particularly when the hero gets caught in a storm in a small boat. There is a really good book struggling to get out here and I'd love to see a writer of the calibre of, say, James Lee Burke tackle the same basic plot which starts out so promisingly but quickly degenerates into coincidence and improbability. If you can live with the unlikely storyline and the annoying switches between first and third person narrative the book will help pass a long flight or train journey but otherwise it's a missed opportunity.
on 23 August 2014
This is one of the best novels I have read in a long time. Utterly gripping after the first slow start. It truly depicts what it must be like for an ordinary peaceful chap to be accused of doing terrible things and finding it almost impossible to prove his innocence . The only way is to try to prove it himself with the help of his disabled sister. It looks like it's all going to end badly but I won't give away the ending as it still has a final surprise. Unputdownable and I can't recommend it highly enough.
VINE VOICEon 30 October 2013
On any measure but one, this book is tosh. The characters are contrived, our hero and his girlfriend are stupid beyond belief, the plot is laughable, the family 'twist' is absurd and the denouement is confused and silly. The writing is leaden and any scene involving emotion is cringe-making.

Who dunnit becomes pretty obvious at about 40% on the kindle, and by 60%, it is simply not possible for our hero to have failed to work it out, unless he was an complete idiot. Fortunately for the author, our hero is a complete idiot, as are most of his family and the police. Fortunately for our hero, the bad guy becomes an even bigger idiot, just at the right time.

However, I had to follow it through to the end, so the book has something about it!
on 1 October 2013
At the start I just thought this was badly written and carried on reading for the story, but that soon became totally ludicrous! The main character's musings on 'life' were vapid and inane and I only read to the end out of sheer stubbornness. Not one of the characters seemed to have even half a brain, the police were so terminally stupid I'm surprised they even managed to find their way out of bed in the mornings and were outdone for dimness only by the main protagonists, for example - spoiler alert - if you discovered that your brother's defence lawyer was probably a murderer with a stolen identity, wouldn't you think to mention it to him?
The final plot reveal at the end of the book that took the hero and his sister completely by surprise had been blatantly obvious for at least half the book. Bill Benners - you probably worked really hard on this, but please don't write any more.
on 22 April 2014
I loved this book. Only paid 38p for it, it turns out. It's worth a lot more. More and more things kept happening that were a complete surprise to me. I only knew one thing before it was revealed, at the end of the book. It was certainly fast-paced; no-one could argue with that. As soon as I'd finished this book I was searching for another title by this author but unfortunately there didn't seem to be any more. I do hope he writes more. I'll have to keep a note of his name. Congratulations Bill Benners on a cracking good story.
on 3 March 2015
One of my personal traits is that when I start a book I will always finish it.After this book that will change.Life is to short.A hero who is a whimp,and the most implausible story I have ever read.I think the last sentence of this fairy tale should be "And they all lived happily ever after" Another misquote"I WONT BE BACK"