5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings just like the cats. sturdy though
Published on 8 July 2012 by Wenny Jhybrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Nov 2010
This review is from: Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System (Misc.)
We've been using the LK for around 18 months with our 3 cats - 2 Burmese boys and a Bengal girl who are indoor-only cats after previous cats fell casualty to the road. That's a lot of wee and poo to deal with, and we looked to the LK for a solution to the endless litter tray incidents, smells and the expense (Princess fussy paws Bengal only liked expensive litter - of course).

We're lucky to have a downstairs toilet which could be given over to the cats while training. The instructions are easy to follow, we moved their litter tray to toilet and put the LK next to it to get them used to its presence, then transferred some of their litter (& their doings) into the LK for a few days, and they gradually started to use the LK instead of/as well as their tray.

We then removed the litter tray and all 3 used the LK which was next to the toilet. We then moved it up onto a block next to the toilet to get them used to using it at height, then put it on the toilet itself. We kept it there with the red tray for about a week. It is true that with 3 cats, you do need to monitor it, it gets full quickly (one of our boys can pee pints at a time...) and you need to keep it as fresh as you can to encourage them to use it. We also found that as soon as we heard one of them jump up and start to dig (well, scratch at the seat) we could be there on hand when they were finished to reward good behaviour with a treat. They learned quickly and were very eager to collect treats.

We moved onto the orange tray with no problems - our Bengal fishes through the hole a bit as she loves water, but hey ho, and we gradually reduced the amount of flushable litter they had in it until it was just a few grains around the outside. Continued with treats - all went well.

2 weeks later we moved onto the green tray mostly without problems, we had to keep a closer eye on them and ignore some accidents on the floor next to the toilet (which is tiled, so no big drama) due to one of our dopey boys facing the wrong way sometimes....duh.

We removed the green tray for a while, and the boys were fine with it, but our Bengal girl wasn't happy, so went back to green. We've tried again since, but she's just not having it. That's where we are still at, using the green insert, which may seem like an imperfect outcome, but I don't believe it is an issue with the LK, but rather with our Bengal who is frankly barmy. Even now, if there is a dribble left in the green tray as there sometimes is (big bladder boy is sometimes a little sloppy with his aim in his haste to get back to tearing around the house), she will start to scratch at the floor next to the toilet to prepare herself to perform, which she knows summons us to sort out her problem. Luckily she has rather a long and complicated pre-toilet routine, so we can often get there, dry the tray and put her on the LK, which she then uses with no problem at all. If we don't get there to dry it, she will still use the LK to wee in the toilet even if the tray is a bit wet, but not poo - oh no, you see that has to go on the floor if the tray is wet. As I said, barmy.

In short, the LK is still on the toilet - the outer white ring and the green tray with the big hole, so we don't use that toilet unless necessary - but it's hardly a chore to lift it off if we do want to use it. On the up side, we haven't bought litter for more than a year, and unless our girl has used the tiled floor as described above, there is no more stinky cat poo around the place.

Big bladder boy has even learned to flush the toilet (it's a top flush) although I can't pretend it's after he's been to the loo....it's just as a game after watching us do it so many times when there were treats to be handed out. I think he wants more treats for flushing - but doing it in the middle of the night doesn't earn you brownie points, kitty.....Bless.

Yes, you'll have to persevere a little bit with it, but compared to lugging around cat litter, not to mention the smell of the poo/wee and them kicking litter out of the box all over the place, it's a no-brainer. It didn't even cost 6 weeks worth of cat litter, so has paid for itself many times over. We would not be without it, it is well worth a try.

Plus, it's a great talking point - my work colleagues find my photos of the cats on the toilet hilarious!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the effort...in the end, 16 Jun 2011
This review is from: Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System (Misc.)
I brought this for my 12 week old kitten. He has never had the choice of using anything else at my house so hopes were high that he would adapt.

I started with it and the red insert on the floor as per instructions and had no issue - no accidents and my kitten had no problems with it. After 1 week I put onto the toilet (as soon as he was able to jump up by himself) and again no problems and no accidents.

After another week I tried to move on to the orange stage. Kitty still used the litter around the hole but he wouldn't stick his bum over the hole. However, he spent ages with his HEAD stuck down the hole intriged by the the bubbles from the Loo Bloo (which had to be removed for his safety). As the litter bit is not really big enough to cope with full usage, I went back to the red for a week then had another go this weekend with the same issues. It could just be that he is so little and too playful (he kicks litter out just to chase it around the bathroom too) to do it and I just need to be patient and wait for him to grow up a bit. Despite this issue, which I sure will resolve itself in time - I am still please to announce that I haven't had a single toilet incident away from the litter kwitter. I will keep people posted, as I know I found the feedback here really valuable when I was considering whether or not to try this.

I only gave 4 stars not 5 for two reasons:

One - because the hole in the amber tray could do with being moved so the cats can get his bum over it without standing on the litter - which mine doesn't like to do, prefering to balance on the seat bit.

And Two - because of the amount of litter that gets knocked down the toilet - but that is probably more my kittys fault than the products, but an issue none the less. However, for the record, the toilet has coped fine with the abuse as I use wood pellet litter that flushes well and surprisingly doesn't smell much after it's been used either!

Update:

The struggle with the Amber stage continued, with my cat refusing to comply, prefering to do his business in the sink than use the amber tray! I covered the sink so he couldn't go there and went back and forth a couple more times between the red and amber stages, then decided to just try him with the green tray to see what happened. It did the trick and there were no problems from that point on. He is now fully Litter Kwittered! It would appear that the hole was too far away from the seat edge for him to get his bum over and he didn't like doing it in the litter bit around the hole as it is quite a small area.

I am now starting with my new kitty. Lots of switching between trays but no major issues and the older one now comes and tells me if the wrong tray for him is in.

I now have the same issues with the amber stage with my new cat as before and I still say that the main problem is not so much the size of the hole in the amber tray but the position of the hole as neither of my cats will stand in the litter, but prefer to balance on the seat pretty much from day one, so their bums don't reach over the hole.

I will say though that it is, without a doubt, worth the effort (and it does require effort, patience and lots of kitty treats), as I have no litter trays and the nasty smell that goes with them, and the amount of litter used is considerably less than with a normal tray and that will hopefully go back down to nothing once my new cat reaches the green stage too. Plus friends are astonished when they see the cats use the toilet and that it is possible to train them to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent results, 18 Dec 2011
Lucy (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System (Misc.)
I always had this in mind for my kitten, even before collecting her and so placed the Litter Kwitter next to the toilet straight away. Once she was big enough to jump up on the loo I started her on the toilet. After three weeks she progressed onto Amber, then another three weeks she was onto green. I kept her on this stage for five weeks because she did meow quite a bit if it was removed, and also, once there was no litter in it, it really wasn't much of a problem. She then moved onto only having the white rim. She has never had an accident, and never been distressed by it in the slightest. Yes, it takes some time, and often more time than the manufacturers admit to, but when you consider your average cat can live up to 15 yrs or older, it seems a short time, compared to the years you'll spend cleaning out trays and the money you'll spend filling them again. I already live without litter in my home, and I can say its blooming wonderful. Plus its a great moment when you tell people your cat uses the loo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like ducks to water!, 23 Feb 2008
We have two ageing cats (aged 15 and 16.5+) so I wasn't sure whether this would work or not. I omitted the first step and put the Litter Kwitter next to the toilet. Both cats started using it straight away (eldest cat first).

Then we moved onto the next stage - onto the toilet. Again, the eldest cat was no problem. The younger cat wasn't so sure at first but was soon using it no problem. A week and a half later and we moved onto the orange stage. Eldest cat, no problem at all. Youngest cat not so sure. We went back to the red stage for a day and then the orange stage with the red tray underneath the orange. Then onto the orange stage again. Both cats using it quite happily. Only the green stage to go!

FOR: A great product, sturdy and well designed. Easy to clean. The DVD is very helpful.
AGAINST: Nothing

HANDY HINT: Reward successes, ignore failures (few and far between). Keep the treats in the bathroom so they associate the toilet and the bathroom with treats. Don't stand watching - cats are very private and they don't like "performing!" Give lots of praise and cuddles.

SUMMARY: Costing me a fortune in treats because they are doing so well and I have to keep rewarding them! I am using more expensive litter too so that it doesn't clump together when it falls into the toilet as it does occasionally. You need to keep a vaccuum cleaner handy as litter goes onto the floor - but hopefully it won't be for long.

I did not expect older cats to take to it but I desperately wanted rid of the litter tray and they don't go out as much now they are getting on a bit! They seem to prefer it much more than the litter tray and so does my kitchen floor - no more wet paws. I wish I knew about this product earlier, it is fantastic!

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings just like the cats. sturdy though, 8 July 2012
This review is from: Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System (Misc.)
Well there are some drawbacks and also I am not at all sure of the logic behind the theory that the cat wants to get rid of its smell. My nervous little cat feels more secure with his smell around and the last thing I wanted was for him to start spraying everywhere. I have one female cat and she likes to go in a clean place and the other who is male is not surprisingly rather territorial, and would rather mark out his territory so the biggest problem has been encouraging them to use the loo whilst still using it ourselves. I always feel he feels it is bad manners to go where we have gone, even when we've flushed!
It is necessary in my humble opinion to change the way the loo smells. I collected cat wee and poured this down the toilet to encourage them. It helped. I actually found it quite difficult to train them. It has been easy to train them to sit and perch, on the edge of flowerpots etc., but going over the loo has been and is still very difficult to accomplish. At the moment after about 10 months I have one cat that will use the orange tray which means effectively I can relax with him but it has to be his loo and he gets upset if the other cat goes near. I had one who likes to stand in the litter and keep his feet dry and the other who likes to do it the other way around. Training two cats at the same time is very difficult. I now have several options in the bathroom for them to try using and at the moment have got a washing up bowl which is deeper which seems to be working better.
I don't think food treats are a good idea. Klicker or high pitched `good cat' seems to be better as it is important not to feed the cat near its toileting area. We actually put food down to discourage cats from toileting so it doesn't make sense to reward with food in the same area.
Well I could train the cats to use a potty with no litter no problem. Going over water from a height is the sticking point. In fact peeing down the plughole of the bath seems easier to accomplish. There was one setback when the cat exuberantly jumped up without looking to use the kwitter litter which my daughter hadn't put back and landed with a splosh in the toilet so I guess my training has been compounded by the more difficult task of trying to teach and train teenagers.
My other concern is the stress for the cats. I have given choices so though taking longer I hope it will mean they choose to go where they go and are not forced into it. It could lead to bladder infections otherwise. I have also treated my cats for giardia so we don't pass that on in the water of the loo.
I also had to stop using toilet cleaner as the wanted to drink it.
In theory bleach in the toilet should make them more likely to go there to put their own smell over I think.
Anyway I'll post again when I get there.
The litter kwitter is sturdy but the design could be improved onto make it a bit deeper. It is good for decreasing the amount of litter needed and I am doing it as I hate the thought of kitty paddling wee infested litter round the house...

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for either of our cats, and they now wee and poo all over the house, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System (Misc.)
My wife and I bought the LK about 6 months ago as we were fed up with cleaning out our two cats' litter tray. Ours had no problem using the red disc in place of their tray and then on top of the toilet. After about a month, as soon as we tried the intermediate orange disc, they refused to use it and went to the toilet on the floor in various parts of the house, in the bath and on my freshly laundered clothes. This happened again and again the next two times we tried the orange disc over the next few months.

Just as I was considering reluctantly paying out another 15 or so, for the intermediate discs, my female cat suddenly decided to stop using the red disc at all, and for the past few days has been urinating and defecating on the hall carpet just behind the front door, so now the house stinks of cat urine.

I feel now that I have no option but to stop using the Litter Kwitter and go back to the old litter tray in the kitchen, and hope that my cat uses it.

My overall impression is that the Litter Kwitter is extremely expensive for what it is, even if it works for your cats, and the fact that many people will need to shell out even more money for the intermediate discs is a bit outrageous to be honest. The item IS quite solid and well made, and fits securely and snugly on my toilet, and this is the only reason it escapes a one-star rating. I realise that some people will have had successes with theirs, but it has caused me so much stress and mess I personally wish I had never bought the damn thing as now I am worse off than when I started.

3.0 out of 5 stars The idea was good, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System (Misc.)
But the implementation was a bit off. First off it didn't fit on our toilet seat and I don't remember seeing any other instructions except for "fits on standard toilet seats" - which apparently ours wasn't. Maybe if it would have fit we would have gotten somewhere with it, for now though we'll have to wait and see if we move into a place with a wider toilet bowl....Very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars No go, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System (Misc.)
My cats will not entertain this thing at all tried for months, they are just not going to use it at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience and belief is the key, 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System (Misc.)
Ever since I went to the pet store to get my first bits and pieces for my kitten I wanted to get this. So, less than a month after getting her I decided that it was time that we started to train her. I've been using the LK for 4 weeks but have only been using it properly for about 2 weeks and we are on the red disc and it is now on the loo. I must admit that when I read some of the reviews about all these people that had problems with it I really started to doubt whether it would work and I became paranoid which is why I had to back track and start again.

When I initially started to use the LK, Sefi was quite happy to use it to pee in but she would refuse to do a #2 and I became so panicky that she would end up getting intestinal problems that put out her old litter tray and within minutes she was using it. I went onto the forums for help and realised that I was never going to change her habits unless I changed my own. So I decided that that was it - no more litter tray - I didn't care if she did a #2 on the floor, I wanted the LK to succeed and therefore it would.

I watched the CD from start to finish (yes I thought that I was more intelligent and could do without - don't make this mistake - watch it!!), got rid of the old litter tray, put newspaper down on the floor and left bags of treats on the toilet cistern. If she did do something on the floor (only happened twice) I would put an obstacle so she couldn't go in the same place again. Eventually she used the LK for her #2 and she was on target!! Needless to say we made huge fuss and gave her treats. We continued with the treats for 3 days and then started to wind them down so that we could start them back up again as we moved onto the next stage.

The LK does require patience and you must not get cross with your cat or try to rush her onto the different stages too quickly. Like I said we are only on the red stage but I am 100% confident that she is more than capable of using the LK to the final stage

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System (Misc.)
6 weeks in and I decided to give up! It was costly and painful, my kitten peed and pooped everywhere, sofa, the bed, on leather chair! It just wasn't worth it so I will be asking for my money back. I really wouldn't bother buying this!

Litter Kwitter Cat Toilet Training System