5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme Company Indeed
This release of the 2007 Broadway Revival of one of Sondheim's finest moments is an absolute must-buy for theatre enthusiasts. Matter of fact, I'd highly recommended it even for those who are merely flirting with the idea of a theatrical dabble.

Published on 19 May 2008 by A viewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyers Beware !!
This disc is NOT 'All Regions' but Region A. So if your machine only plays Region B like mine you're just throwing your money away.
Not a happy buying experience.
Published on 16 July 2008 by Geoffrey W. Fawcett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme Company Indeed, 19 May 2008

Whilst the thrill of experiencing something magical in a theatre cannot be matched, the bittersweet flipside of this truth is that there are so many legendary productions which we'd love to see captured and released on film; however diluted the experience may be. Those of us not fortunate enough to catch a show during its run can usually only daydream about experiencing our favourites. But here we have an opportunity to experience something of a modern classic, and it's an absolute treat.

Chances are you've not stumbled onto this page without some idea about the basic premise of Company, so I won't regurgitate the plot here. Perhaps you're familiar with the songs from past productions or recordings, but - like myself - weren't lucky enough to catch this particular production on Broadway. If that's the case, then I cannot recommend this DVD highly enough to you.

Raúl Esparza is simply masterful in the lead role; hitting all of the role's demanding nuances, yet also allowing others to shine when it's their turn to do so. Indeed, each and every cast member is surely at the top of their game for this recording of the show.

Replicating the instruments-onstage twist of Broadway's most recent Sweeney Todd revival, the resultant production of Company is revelatory, and the song arrangements are sublime. Furthermore, George Furth's book makes the show feel more compellingly contemporary than I could ever have imagined.

By the end, having been put through the emotional wringer, and having frequently laughed out loud, I couldn't wait to experience this production again and again.

A word about the disc's technical merits: the sound quality is superb throughout, and works with the intelligent editing and stellar anamorphic photography to make you almost feel like you paid $100 for a seat in the theatre. The only slight disappointment is that the cover suggests Special Features of "An Audience with Stephen Sondheim" and "Video Interviews with Director John Doyle and Actor Raúl Esparza", yet I'm afraid I've searched each and every nook and cranny of the menu screen without finding either (and after having had the carrot dangled, I'd have appreciated them).

Still, this DVD more than justifies its almost giveaway price for the production of Company alone, and I only wish all live theatre recordings were this impressive. The bar has been raised; kudos to all involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Company. Where are the extras?, 25 May 2008
I thoroughly agree with everything the previous reviewer has said.
Like the previous reviewer, I can't find the extra features. I am particularly keen to see the 38-minute interview with Sondheim. Reading through the reviews on the U.S. amazon site, I notice some of the reviewers allude to the extras, so they obviously do exist! If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyers Beware !!, 16 July 2008
Geoffrey W. Fawcett (Sweden) - See all my reviews
Not a happy buying experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic performance of a wonderful musical, 7 July 2009
S. King "vreckan" (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having bought the CD of this and being totally blown away by the music I knew the DVD of the performance would be good, but I was not prepared to be so completely impressed as I was. This is an amazing production of what I believe to be a truly great musical. It is witty, sophisticated, and in the central role of Bobby, Raul Esparza gives a wonderful performance which everyone should experience - he is phenomenal. But the whole instrument-playing ensemble cast give brilliant performances, though Barbara Walsh and Heather Laws are stand outs. When watching this DVD I really feel I am 'Being Alive' and wish 'Another Hundred People' would buy it. Do buy it - you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A WONDERFUL PRODUCTION., 28 Feb 2009
Mr. T. D. Wallwork "wallwork7499" (UNITED KINGDOM.) - See all my reviews
Stephen Sondheim's "Company" is all the more engaging by this up to date production, along with its wonderful and truly talented cast. Although I first saw the show in the 70s with the original London cast, which still remains the best for me, I was more than delighted with the professional performances from everyone involved in this show. My only critisium, and the reason I didn't give it a 5 star rating, was because I found the music a little too soft, by that I don't mean in volume, but rather lacking in fullness for my taste. I would have prefered the sound of a full orchestra like in the theatre. I felt the production lacked a little umph! This was just my opinion, but that said I truly enjoyed the superb performances, and proud to add it to my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Company - A Musical Comedy" on BLU RAY - Compatibility Issues On This 'US' Disc..., 20 Mar 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
You will notice that most of the reviews for "Company - A Musical Comedy” (or “Steven Sondheim’s Comedy" as its sometimes known) are for the ‘DVD’. But if you want to upgrade to BLU RAY and you live in the UK - it poses a problem...

Both the American original BLU RAY issue (2008) and its reissue in 2011 as "Company" on Image Entertainment are REGION A LOCKED - so they won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are). And at present (March 2014) there appears to be no European or Region B alternatives.

Until it gets a release on this side of the pond (Region B) - it's another case of Region Coding restrictions denying buffs the BLU RAY they want....

5.0 out of 5 stars Company production DVD, 23 Feb 2011
This review is from: Company [DVD] [2007] [US Import] (DVD)
This is a beautifully shot film of a stunning production of a classic Sondheim musical. With the "newer" version of the script and songs the classically cynical take on marriage syill holds out a few hopes for true love at the end.
This film captures the feel of a live theatre show better than most others I've seen. Often a filmed theatre event ends up being neither a satisfactory film, nor a live record, but this production plays to its strengths and manages to have a real sense of excitement, whilst focussing on enough close up detail to be cinematic.
Not living in New York I haven't had chance to see this production live, but I can understand why it has been so well received by the critics. All the performances are very strong and the cast also play all the live instrumentation flawlessly, especially in some really tricky arrangements, such as "You could drive a person crazy", when three female performers somehow manage to sing complicated Sondheim lyrics and play saxophone seemingly simultaneously!
The only minor criticism I might have is that if you were looking for an archive of the show with clearer diction and perfect reproduction of all the song lyrics you might be better looking at a studio cast recording like the excellent Donmar Warehouse CDSondheim: Company (1996 London Cast). However this is an impressively intimate and moving experience, and an paradigm of how powerful live musical theatre can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful revival, 26 Jun 2010
This review is from: Company [DVD] [2007] [US Import] (DVD)
This reshaping of the 1970 Sondheim classic is really a fine piece of work. The filming is never distracting, as can be the case with recorded stage performances. A cast full of musically and comedically gifted performers, really do the music and the lyrics justice. The fine line between comedy and tragedy is tread with expertise, and this production will surely move you to feeling both of these. This review would not be complete without noting Raúl Esparza's fantastic portrayal of Robert, his voice does magic on that stage. Wonderful!

4.0 out of 5 stars BijouCinema, 4 Aug 2009
Frank Belsey (London) - See all my reviews
The standard DVD does work on region 2 (UK) players, but the bluray does not. I have both, and after finding that the standard disc played on my region 2 player, I assumed that the bluray would also do so, but it does not. Keeping it though until I can get a multiregion bluray player.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb but Difficult Musical, 7 Oct 2008
William Cohen (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I saw Sam Mendes' production of Company about ten years ago, and loved it. This brought it all back. It's amazing how memorable and moving this musical is. I loved the actors, the wit, the music and the slight bitterness that runs through the drama. Is it anti-marriage? Well, it certainly doesn't shy away from its disappointments.

Still it's set in New York. Hardly an easy place to be happy. This play doesn't date and it shows America at its sophisticated best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Company [DVD] [2007] [US Import]
Company [DVD] [2007] [US Import] by Lonny Price (DVD - 2008)
13.60