Hey Ma
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£5.81+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

With all the mixed fan and press reviews I was expecting very little from this album. But blow me down, it bowled me over. It is everything it could and should have been. There is more heart and soul in one of these songs than many bands manage in a whole career. It is a remarkable record, a real career highlight and the band should be as proud as punch that they have delivered something as beautiful and uplifting as this. There are elements of Laid, Strip mine and Seven but it works as its own album. Of course there is the odd daft Tim Booth lyric, it wouldn't be a James album without it. He tells us on the title track that war is bad. Just in case you were unsure. But that's ok, just like seeing a beautiful girl in a daft pair of trousers, its almost endearing.

And that aside, it's a beautiful, hopeful, elegant, bloody brilliant record.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Wow what a comeback album this is, I encourage all James fans, old and new to investigate....

Bubbles

One of the best James songs ever written. The starting of the song is very similar to the like of Laid album/The Lake stylistics but explodes into a very beautiful passionate song which seems to be about a new born life with a great future. Just a brilliant opening track. transferred from live performance to record seamlessly. You will be singing 'I'm alive' for months. Uplifting stuff! 10/10

Hey Ma

It may be 16 years on but the song Mother is still a haunting track and Hey Ma is no different lyrically, but it is a very uplifting song musically which contrasts so well with the deep lyrics being sung about 9/11, Iraq and Afghanistan and particularly about consequences of your actions. This sort of shows the best and worst of Tim's voice, there is a point where he sings 'coming home' in a kind of a strained way yet somehow im transported back in time to the early 90s in other places. Strange, but great, pointed lyrics. 9/10

Waterfall

This could probably the succesor to Say Something, my feeling on this song is that it is wonderful but at times the production is too heavy and almost sags under its own weight like the latest Manics album does. There are parts I love to this song such as the lovely verse guitars and backing vocals in the chorus and the chanted verse is particularly wonderful. The 'Im so cynical bit' is the part I think goes over the top perhaps for me. Again the underlying feeling of Laid but production values of Seven 8.5/10

Oh My Heart

Very anthemic in a Booth and The Bad Angel meets Seven kind of way, I read a review which says an 'old-school' James anthem. I can hear U2 in the guitar as well which puts me back to the Seven album. There is something about it that doesn't win me over in the same way the previous songs did, but the fact that I'm giving the first four tracks at least 8/10 bodes very well for the rest of the album. The fact that there is loads of guitar in this track is great and is as far away from Pleased To Meet You as my bloody football team winning the title! This could really soar live as well a real out-there number. 8/10

Boom Boom

A song which at first didn't really grab me and thought was not fantastic. However it started getting ingrained in my head and for days I had the melody in my head. It has a dominant trumpet line. This is a song similar to Were Going To Miss You lyrically in terms of hitting back at the critics of the band who had written them off. It is quite a dark melancholic song with an orchestral ending. 7/10

Semaphore

A very beautiful slow number about a man who has hit a woman realising what he's done. 'But its too late for sorry' Fantastic echoey guitar and bass with some fantastic lyrics. The slowest song on the album which allows pause for reflection for what we've heard already. 8/10

Upside

First aired at least a year ago at some of the gigs last year. It is the one song I'm truly disappointed with, it doesn't really do anything for me. It's about immigrants being away from their loved ones. For some reason it doesn't work for me, I think it is in the arrangement somewhere and the chorus also doesn't work for me. Not what I was expecting. A bit of a mess. 5/10.

Whiteboy

I love this track, it's the most fun and uplifting track since laid. This really is the 'old-school' James track I had been looking for, a mile away from the poor 'What Is It Good For' et al the whole song is what sums James up for me; fun, slightly goofy, uplifting, estoric, catch as fcuk particularly love the way the 2nd verse explodes into the 'Wanna talk to me Whiteboy' 2nd chorus just whisks you away! 9/10

A song about religion and brings up strong imagery of suicide bombers. The darkest song on the record although ironically a little funky with a dark electronic backdrop and rythmn section. The chorus of WAR will be ingrained in your head immediately. 7.5/10

Of Monsters Heroes and Men

This song is based on an extended poem full of imagery. This was played love at the September Hoxton shows. It's an interesting song that builds up to a kind-of mantra at the end with Andy's trumpet kind of taking over the song. Again it doesn't have much of an effect of me compared to what has gone before. 6/10

I Wanna Go Home

This is brilliant. A wonderful yearning song, although a bit too short. It is about a guy in a bar full of remorse, dying of a remorse. A fantastic closing track with effects coming in and out and builds to a crescendo of 'I wanna go home right now', awe-inspiring and I can personally identify with the lyrics as well. I just wish it could have gone on longer. 10/10

Child To Burn (Itunes Deluxe track)

This is an extremely beautiful Wah Wah/Laid style track with slide guitar, and Tim in falsetto most of the time. Extremely atmospheric. 9/10

Overall

A totally fantastic album overall, miles better than the last two albums. It sounds totally 'together' and everything hangs together well. Apart from one or two flawed songs, mainly in terms of arrangements this contains some of the best James songs ever written. Yes it possibly lacks anthems in a 'singles' way, however it is closer to Laid in spirit in terms of lyrics and some of the music. There are moments of a bigger sound, with A Seven-esque production value namely Oh My Heart and Waterfall. This is now my 3rd favourite James album, and only Laid and Whiplash better this one. In terms of a comeback album this is so much more than I and James fans could have hoped for. Ignore those stupid reviews that give this 1 and 2 stars they obviously can't hear the beauty within. Dream Thrum score. 8/10 - a mighty album.
on 30 June 2008
When I first heard James was reuniting, my heart was being tugged on in two directions. I would love to hear James again, but I was expecting a half hearted attempt at rekindling the magic that made James such a good band in the first place. "Hey Ma" proves my doubts wrong, and then some.

"Bubbles" begins the album with a song about new life, describing Tim Booth's joy as a father. This song is reminiscent of Laid era work - uplifting, but atmospheric. While Eno isn't here to produce this album, his presence is still felt.

But the sound quickly shifts to jam-based anthemic rock that James successfully mastered with "Gold Mother" and "Laid." "Hey Ma" might be described as an optimistic protest song. Tunefully, it's a classic. In the chorus, Tim Booth loudly proclaims "Hey ma, your boys in bodybags coming home in pieces." It's very poetic, and there's really no reading between the lines.

Elsewhere on the album, there's a theme of age and growing older. "Waterfalls" deals with materialism while the single "Whiteboy" sounds autobiographical with the wonderful line "My mom says I look like Yul Brenner/Too old for Hamlet and Too young for Lear."

Still, one of my favorite gems on this album is "Oh My Heart," a song where the singer asks to have his heart broken. It's anthemic and once again features James taking bleak moments and making them somehow uplifting. The lyrics are simple, but the breadth of feeling in this and the other offerings on this album make it a winner.

What makes Hey Ma so great though is that it feels like James of many many years ago. While jamming and experimentation did prevail on the last two albums, there seemed to be more rigid structure and thus rigid performances. Conversely, Hey Ma feels loose, fun and raw, but not without the ideas from the Eno years. It's rare that a band that has been around for 25 years can come back and sound this fresh and energetic. I have read many reviews that compare James to U2. Yet I feel U2 stopped making relevant albums (musically) sometime ago, lurking into more adult contemparary fare. James thrusts back onto the scene that could give some of the younger bands a run for their money. If you're still doubtful, check out recent live performances. As Tim Booth proclaims on "Bubbles," 'I'm Alive.' As I listen to this album, I believe it.
on 14 September 2009
Im writing this review immediately after listening to the album.

I've been an avid fan of James for some time, but to some i'm probably a late bloomer, after buying their 'Just Like Fred Astaire' single and then purchasing the 'Millionaires' album which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was primairly in my teens where I took interest in the band but over time my tastes have changed and I persued other artists, especially after their suprising hiatus. I was slowly forgetting about them and knowing they won't be returning didn't give me much faith in following them any further. Their 'Best Of' is clearly one of the best compilations released in the past few decades and is a definite favourite of my collection. I can safely say after hearing this album they have clearly returned with such a maturity only other bands similar can admire to; not only have they been able to carry off their amiable sound for over 20 years, but they have also been able to improve their song writing and Tim Booth doesn't fail with his perceptive lyrics and unprecedented singing voice. The album proves that even after so long, James can return, maintain an undecayed sound, work together as they once did and establish a punchy, ripened tone.

Most of the tracks on the album are of superior quality, but the ones listed are personal favourites. The opening track 'Bubbles' opens well with a compelling chorus until the end. 'Waterfall', a no-brainer choice as a single, is a charming track which plods along with another righteous chorus and a maturity which shines throughout. 'Upside' is an engaging track and with a welcoming and hopefully concrete return, Andy Diagram, who flaunts his fantastic trumpet skills. 'Hey Ma' is another amiable track from the album with acoustic and wind infused instrumets married with powerful lyrics. 'Whiteboy' is an instant hit from the start with Booth's vocal dexterity creating an enthusiastic and solid anthem.

I advise all James fans to purchase this compelling comeback album. It might not be as good as 'Pleased To Meet You' (in my opinion one of the best albums I own) but for me to say this album has bought me back into following James and enjoying all their releases again says so much. I'm also sure that I can say for a lot of fans, that another set of new tracks from James is never unwelcomed. I also advise those who don't have an interest or havn't heard a song by James and want to buy an album out of the blue but don't want to dive in at the deep end, to do so. Here's hoping they'll stay together for many more years and bring out some more releases!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Comeback albums can always have that air of 'better times are in the past' about them. 'Hey Ma' - James' first album in over 6 years is a very rare creature in the 'comeback' zone - it sounds energetic, full of fresh ideas and contains a consistent collection of great tunes / arrangements. Tracks like the opening 'Bubbles', the title track and 'I wanna go home' are anthemic. These guys aren't recording this on a yacht in the Bahamas or at their £50m mansion somewhere in the Swiss Alps - these guys sound as angry and enthusiastic as ever. I am not a huge James fan but have to say this is probably the best 'comeback' album I have heard in many years. There are a lot of influences here over and above James themselves - Bowie, U2, a bit of Ray Davies in the vocal style. Truly excellent. Ignore the duff reviews - they are missing the point. This will be one of the best albums of 2008 when we look back in December.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
James have always been a great band, but they've always been underrated, and unfortunately it seems that there will always be critics preventing them from getting as much recognition as they deserve. One of the first bands the 're-form' a lot of the aforementioned critics just dismiss any work that James produce as 'nothing special'.
Shame on the critics! 'Hey Ma' is the first album from James since the band re-formed, and it truly justifies the band getting back together again. There is a bit of everything on this album, from tender quiet moments such as the mid-album track 'Semaphore' which surrounds Tim Booths ever-reliable lyrics and vocals with an enchanting swirl of different instrumentals, to the majestic soaring moments, brilliantly displayed on opener 'Bubbles' which makes full use of its 5+ minute length, starting small before gradually growing into something wondrous, and of course the triumphant-sounding choruses, 'Upside' and 'Hey Ma' locking straight into memory after a single listen.
Tim Booth hasn't lost a trick as a songwriter, and rather than hiding away from getting older, he embraces it, especially on 'Waterfall', and even more so on 'Whiteboy' which is full of darkly humorous lyrics, and has a sound somewhat reminiscent of 'Sometimes' from 1993's LAID album (in my opinion at least).
There are no weak tracks on this album, although some do take a couple of listens to truly appreciate. I don't have an actual favorite track, but I'd definitely recommend 'Bubbles' 'Hey Ma' 'Boom Boom' 'Upside' 'Whiteboy' and 'Of Monsters & Heroes & Men'
on 25 June 2008
"My works about words and sounds you can taste, violins and trumpets, chocolate cakes" sings Tim Booth halfway through this majestic, triumphant return, and so sums up both Hey Ma, and James working methods.This is mood music.Every piece here is picked from the many they improvise because it displays a mood, a feeling, a melody, hypnotic patterns that the band can't let go of and have to persevere with until Tim Booth forms the words and images that compliment them.All woven together to form songs that affect the head and the heart.It manages to be emotionally and intellectually stimulating.
I mean you can read the words and nod in agreement and think what a clever couplet/verse etc but when welded to the music it becomes unforgettable, inspiring, irresistable, troubling even.The "I'm alive" segment in the opener Bubbles for instance just makes me glad i am.If only to hear that song burst into life after its slow build up, if only to hear that line.How many other bands can make you feel that ?
Likewise the "Hey Ma the boys in bodybags, coming home in pieces" of the title track forces you to sing along in a bizarre angry/sorrowful kind of way.It is an obvious nod to the situation in Iraq/Afganistan and echoes the frustration many have over ongoing events.In track 3 you can almost touch the waterfall "cool and cold and clear" washing away the "junk" in your life, whilst the "oh my heart - come on break me two" chorus almost does exactly that.If that doesn't get you then the "i may as well try semaphore as words no longer work" opening couplet of track 6 probably will.After several listens of this cd you will end up singing along to all the songs, especially Upside with it's monumental " upside love you, downside miss you" chorus and Whiteboy with standout lines like "my mum says i look like Yul Brynner, too old for Hamlet, too young for Lear", but others will soon be burrowing deep into your mind, like Monsters with it's strange underworld tale of stray cats, feral kids, moths in the moonlight and the closing I Wanna Go Home about a drunk in a bar dying of remorse.
I've listend to a fair few new albums this year and this is still my absolute favourite.Still the one i always take with me in the car.Still the one i keep on coming back to.It is amazing, affecting, full of moments of beauty and despair.Hey Ma and James are unique, unlike anything else around.Sure is nice to have you back boys.
on 13 April 2008
There are lots of bands nowadays that create canned, ready-made instant hits we enjoy for a while just because its trendy... and then put the CD on the shelf never ever to touch it again.

James are not about trends or instant hits. Their music is something that appeals right into you so that you keep coming back to it... Sometimes soothing, sometimes uplifting, sometimes sad, sometimes eerie, always meaningful through lyrics, chords or both.

I was first touched by the chords and lyrics of "Bubbles"... The musical arrangment is great and its chorus "I'm alive" moves me a lot, maybe because I've been through and recovered from a serious illness very recently.

"Of Monsters & Heroes & Men", while an original masterpiece on its own right, reminds me of a longtime Laid favourite, "Lullaby".

"Upside"... I can understand some people find its lyrics pretentious but I can't agree... Those lyrics are among the best Tim has ever written: "Connected to you by a mobile/What I can't do, I can say/Away from you I'm feeling empty/I am raining, I am grey". I can relate very easily with the deep sadness protrayed in it...

"I Wanna Go Home" is a simple music that builds up along the way to become one of James' greatest ballads.

As for the rest, I'm still discovering this treasure, gold coin upon gold coin, not worrying about how much it will amount to... it's certainly a priceless musical pleasure...

Welcome back, Larry. I can clearly listen to your contribution to this album, an album that is a worthy successor to "Laid".

I hope James will keep creating great music as their place in the musical scene is irreplaceable.

And please, James, give us the joy of being able to purchase the tracks you put aside while making this album, not forgetting past unpublished material such as the "Whiplash Sessions" with such wonderful tracks as "Hedex", "Without You" or "Maybe Jane", just to mention a few...

James lasts!
on 27 November 2008
I had no idea 'James' were back together and recording, let alone releasing a new album, such is the amount of press this new album has received!!! Which is really undeserved.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this latest offering, its been well over a decade since their last album, could they cut it anymore? Or would they be a sad embarrasment of their former selves? Oh yee of little faith!!! 'James' were responsible for some of the best indie rock anthems of the early and mid 90's, but also wrote some great, very poignant lyrics and they have come back with an album that shows more creativity and heart in one track than some of the more "mainstream/popular" bands have in a whole album.
Standout tracks for me are "I wanna go home" and the title track "Hey ma" which is both musically uplifting, yet has the lyrics "boys in bodybags coming home in pieces."

A great album and deserving of high praise and acclaim. I urge everyone to take a listen.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It starts magnificently, "Bubbles" now figuring in my top five James songs. It's a tremendous track, starting quietly, suddenly exploding into life, and turning into a glorious chorus of the words "I'm alive!" repeated over and over again. The word "euphoric" doesn't do it justice.

The title track is also pretty good, if marred slightly by its "hey ma, the boys in body bags coming home in pieces" chorus. "Waterfall" is also great, as is "Oh My Heart", although something strange happens to Tim Booth's voice and he ends up sounding a little like Kermit from the Muppets for some reason!

After that, the album fades somewhat, as most of the James albums I've heard seem to do. There are still good tracks to be found, but the pace slows in general, and after such an invigorating high-octane opening salvo of tracks, the album is a little disappointing from the fifth or sixth track onwards.

That said, I'm still intrigued to hear what they do next...