5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully spirited yet deeply moving
Published on 10 Jan 2009 by Miss E. Potten

3.0 out of 5 stars anne frank blu ray.
A great adaptation of this famous and moving story but why has the blu ray version had an hour shaved off it.I would stick with the d.v.d edition shame on you BBC.
Published on 10 Sep 2010 by philip foy

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully spirited yet deeply moving, 10 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
After the first episode of this I began to look forward to it every night. I've read The Diary of a Young Girl several times over the years and each time I was surprised again by the intelligence, insight and sparkling humour of such a young woman in such difficult circumstances. I was really hoping that this new dramatisation would reflect that, and I wasn't disappointed.

Ellie Kendrick's portrayal of Anne was brilliant - certainly worth an award or two - and the ensemble cast around her very much fitted how I had imagined her family and the Van Daans from her descriptions. The humour and the happiness was inspiring and uplifting, whilst at the same time the adaptation doesn't shy away from the terror of the situation. The bombing going on around the house was well done - and something I hadn't really been able to imagine in reading the book - and the grittier scenes were skilfully handled (Mrs Van Daan's nervous stomach when the burglars are in the house was hideously realistic).

If this dramatisation connects more young people to Anne's diary and provides a sparkling and lively viewing experience, yet also inspires a few people to go out and learn more about the atrocities that took the lives of the Franks and so many more besides, then it has done an admirable job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding from the BBC, 12 Jan 2009
Naomi (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
This is an outstanding drama from the BBC. I loved every episode, and even though I had already read the diary more than once, I came away from this series wanting to read everything I could get my hands on about this delightful, sparkly, gritty young girl.

Of course, everyone knows the story, so it would be pointless to review that. But one of the reasons that Anne's diary is so popular is that it works so well not only as a portrait of what life was like under the Nazis, but, more, that it is a hugely and painfully accurate account of adolescence under a microscope. Everything, from her raw infatuation with Peter, to her budding self-exploration and her tempestuous relationship with her mother, is heightened and emphasised by the effects of the strain in the Annexe. This is what makes the story so gripping.

The series is very accurate: I have watched documentaries and read biographies on both Anne and her father Otto, and the BBC draw well from them. Even the clocktower outside the attic window is the real clocktower that Anne delighted in so much.

As for characterisation: yes, yes and double yes! The only criticism I would have, as I read in another review, is that sometimes you have trouble believing that these characters are Dutch Jews and not British. Mr Van Daan especially almost sounds cockney at times. Ellie Kendrick, however, is superbly sparky as Anne, and Nicholas Farrell is outstanding as the uptight and tortured, yet ultimately thoughtful, Mr Dussel. I am sure both will win awards. Mrs Van Daan is also well drawn; her shame when she can't control her bowels during the burglary is very well done.

To sum up, I can't recommend this enough. It is the best film on Anne Frank I have seen. It could perhaps have been longer, but at 2 and a half hours it is already plenty long enough for most!

Well done, BBC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can the BBC continue with this quality?, 15 Jan 2009
Ms. Felicia Davis-burden (Staines, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
I was spellbound by this series. The acting - particularly Ellie Kendrick and Tamsin Greig - was believable and beautifully nuanced. The production team had clearly done their homework in constructing the interiors of the annexe and all the visual details. Younger people will identify with Anne more than they already have when introduced to the book, such is the vibrancy of Ellie Kendrick's portrayal.

Excerpts from Anne's diary were skillfully adapted into realistic and sometimes terribly moving dialogue. I've not seen an adaptation this good from the BBC in too long. Now the question is: Can the BBC keep up this standard for the rest of the year.

BAFTAS are richly deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant piece of drama, 13 Jan 2009
Mr. J. E. ROUSE "loomx" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
The other reviewers have already said what has to be said. Fine acting, amazingly well adapted and it has a sense of realism. So I shall compare this adaptation to the one that was done a few years ago; the link to whoch can be found here:

Anne Frank

Ultimatly it boils down to taste. There is little difference between them other than the other one shows what happened after they were arrested. Otherwise they are both really moving and brilliantly adapted. It could be argued that the other one pushes for dramatic effect in favour of historical accuracy but that is so minimal it does not trully matter.

I would also like to add that this adaptation put Anne on the screen to us in the way I imagined she was. By this I mean that she thinks no one understands her but she it just going through what all teenagers go through. I am glad the BBC did not gloss over that to paint her as some perfect goddess but they showed her flaws, which is what makes it work.

Well done to the BBC. If this does not win some awards it won't just be me who will complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheds new light on a classic book, 13 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
This adaptation is the BBC at its best. Outstanding ensemble cast, with Ellie Kendrick living the part as Anne Frank. Most people already know the book, or at least the story, so this could be limiting, but I liked how the adaptation often portrayed other's perceptions of Anne, as well as hers of them. At times you almost don't have that much sympathy for Anne - she shown as selfish, self-centered and harshly critical of others: a typical teenager! What I especially liked was that you could see the development of a more mature Anne through the last episode, who has started to come out of the teenager into the adult. All of the cast are excellent - especially Tamsin Greig as Mrs Frank. The end when it comes is the no more easy to watch, for all that you know the what is coming. All in all superb stuff and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful adaptation, 12 May 2009
Ms. O. Lowe - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
I was surprised to see the 3 star rating on here, because I honestly feel that this adaptation is worth at least 4 stars. The acting quality, for the most part, is brilliant- the only fault I can find, really, is the actress who plays Miep. She seems a little flat, but other than that the actors immerse themselves in their roles, and it is clear that they understand who they are playing incredibly well.

I believe it does fulfill its purpose and appeals to a younger audience- it encompasses the subtlties of the Holocaust within Anne's life and so less mature viewers are not blown away by the force of the Holocaust's sadness. It is a good start, I believe, for children and young people moving into the more sinister films regarding this particular era, and is a nice bridge up to it. It follows the diary very well and in an understandable way- I have read the book, and even though it missed out certain parts, it was easy and clear to see where it was going, and what had happened in between.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!, 22 Dec 2008
MarkC (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
I was lucky enough to see an early version of this and being such a fan of previous adaptations this one simply blows them all out of the water.

This is the kind of drama that the BBC seems to do best, and being able to actual shoot scenes around Anne's actual house in Amsterdam made it all the more authentic. The performances are exceptionally good especially Ellie Kendrick who gives an honest portayal of the central character and Iain Glen & Tasmin Grieg as her parents.

I'll certainly be buying this DVD when it's released

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Drama, 24 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
This five part drama really shines in it's quality both from a production point of view and the acting on show. The claustrophobia of the attic is demonstrated by the fact that it is the only setting.We see how all the people living in the attic get on top of one another and lose out on their privacy for example when having baths they are forced to take the bath down to their favourite place in order to get a little bit of peace and privacy.

This is the sort of drama that brings all the family together to watch and because of it's subject it is hugely important for everyone to be aware of, the fact that it sticks to the diary is a great testament and the ending was handled sensitively for the younger viewers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect adaption, 16 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
I was nine when I first read the book, eleven when I visited the Anne Frank House, sixteen when the adaption aired and am nearly eighteen now. In all that time Anne's diary has remained one of my favourite books and I was more than impressed by the adaption.

The casting is absolutely inspired - everyone seems to suit the role they were given, especially Lesley Sharpe, who brings so much humour as Mrs Van Daan. One thing that did impress me was how the writers didn't portray Anne as a perfect angel, but as a proper teenager, which is not something that has been done in other films. The story immediately draws you in - when Anne, Edith and Otto are stopped by the man as they walk to the Annexe, you immediately feel scared along with them, even though all he wants is to tell them they dropped something. Likewise during the bombings and burglaries the tension and fear is felt not only by the eight in hiding, but by those watching at home.

Wonderful as the programme is, I'm sure many people watching felt a sense of dread during the final episode, knowing what was coming. During the arrest, I was in floods of tears (and end up so every time I watch the last episode), because the surprising thing about this adaption is that it gives you hope for Anne and the rest of the people in hiding that they will make it out alive, even though we know what terrible fate awaits them all

5.0 out of 5 stars The Diary of Anne Frank, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD] (DVD)
My 10 year old granddaughter was glued to this. I felt that it was time for her to realise how war affects people and this is a brilliant story for a child to watch. Very good value for money too.

The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD]