LEGO Indiana Jones (PS2)
Platform: PlayStation2Change
Price:£24.95+£2.00shipping

Having just got round to buying a PS2 we (me, my 6 year old boy and my 10 year old girl) played both of the Star Wars lego games continuously, working together to crack the puzzles and loving the humour, the twists and the "star-wars-ness" - that is until Indiana Jones arrived. I am having to limit play now - Indy Lego is as much fun as star wars, but with more twists and nicer graphics. The puzzles are harder, but that's a good thing (except there are no faqs yet for the fiendish ones!). Needless to say it has the same humour - ie tongue in cheek and quite funny.

After completing a few chapters we are all hooked - a great game to get the family working together - I am stunned at a 6 year olds ability to problem solve. Get it, it is a must-have.
on 6 June 2008
After the hype preceeding the release-you wondered if this game would live up to it. Though i'm pleased to say it does, and carries on with the same fun format as lego star wars, with a bit more of a twist with some great moves from Indy. Hours of fun guaranteed, and the prospect of endless rewards to keep you going back through.
on 5 June 2008
If you loved the Star Wars Lego game you will love this.

When the game arrived I wasn't sure who was the most excited, me or the Kids. I love the lego style humour and I'm sure you will too.
on 3 May 2009
I enjoy playing all the Lego games.They're funny as well as addictive. I like how the subject keeps coming back and you don't have to keep starting the level again. I only play games when I'm bored but this is the first one I'll put on.
on 26 August 2008
I have bought the previous LEGO games, so I kinda knew what to expect, but this game simply blew me away, this game is similar to the other LEGO games but at the same time it has a lot of new things, like cars, horses, bikes, and so, the levels are huge as usual. One thing that I really like about this game is the diversity of each level, there are not two equal levels. This is a game for all ages, dont be folled by the LEGO title, this game has lots o puzzles to be solved and other many things to unlock.

This is one of those games that everyone should have on their collection, definatly a pearl on PS2.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I didn't rush out to buy this on release as I didn't think the Indiana Jones trilogy would make such a good game as Lego Star Wars:The Original Trilogy (LSW:TOT). Curiosity got the better of me and I bought it (for my daughter of course!) and have been boshing away at it ever since!

It follows the identical format to LSW:TOT i.e. 6 levels per film, story and free play mode with artefacts taking the place of mini-kits, finding and mailing parcels instead of red bricks. The excellent two-player drop-in drop-out mode is still there and works as good as ever. This can cause problems when exploring different parts of the screen or your co-player "accidentally" gives you a right-hander, but arguments are all forgotten when you complete the level!

You get a wide variety of characters - soldiers, diggers, mechanic, women (jump higher), thugees (mystical powers), professors (solve puzzles) and Short Round - for the tunnels! However, the vehicles aren't too exciting, old cars and bikes which you generally have to repair yourself, but obviously the developers were limited to what was around in the films set in the 40s and 50s! Graphics are ok, Indy looks great in his hat and coat and the Raiders soundtrack is there in all its glory.

The weapon pick-ups are not brilliant (apart from the bazooka): brawling is often the more effective way to beat the enemies. Indy himself however is a great character to use - he often prefers to wrestle rather than punch which is slow but he does have the all-important whip which gets a lot of use in traversing gaps and retrieving objects. Some of the boss battles are a bit strange - the Raiders battle by the plane was plain weird. You couldn't kill him by machine-gunning from point-blank range but only by holding up an anvil for him to punch three times! Other boss battles were a bit confusing too but overall gameplay was very good.

Once you've completed the story mode, and you can repeat levels in Freeplay, things really pick up with all the necessary characters (and unnecessary ones like Santa!) at your disposal and you can go after the elusive artefacts and mail those secrets in the red mail boxes for even more unlockables. It really is great fun and well worth doing, especially if you want to get 100%. Look out for the Star Wars cameo appearances too - if you're lucky you might find yourself getting a hug off Chewbacca in the Mos Eisley Cantina! Find all five scenes and you can buy Hans Solo!

My top tips for this game are:

1) Save your money until you have completed Story mode, you can then spend it wisely in Freeplay mode. Don't waste your cash on the silly stuff or characters, save it for the "treasure x2", "treasure x4" etc (studs become worth double/quadruple their value etc) or "artefact locator". Most of the characters you will need become available for nothing once you have completed their level anyway.
2) The Bazooka Trooper is a useful character - he can blow up silver objects and doors but also has the uniform to get through army checkpoints.
3) Once you've purchased an extra, it isn't enabled by default (took me a while to sus this !). Once in the game, press Start, then Extras to toggle them on and off
4) Don't waste time struggling to get that high-up or locked up artefact in story mode, you probably won't be able to do it with the standard characters. Remember where it is and go back in Freeplay
5) The treasure bonuses work together i.e. if you enable Treasure x2 and Treasure x4 at the same time you will end up with Treasure x8 and the money (ok studs) flies in!

Very good fun, continuing from where Lego Star Wars left off but not quite as good for humour and variety overall.

PS I've reviewed the excellent Prima Official Game Guide here too
on 6 November 2009
Ever since I bought "Lego Star Wars: The Original Trilogy", I was hooked on this simplistic, yet fun gameplay format. I thought it was genius to combine something so simple as Lego with some of the most famous fictional characters in the world. From the way the characters are ingeniously presented in their Lego counterparts to the creativity involved in creating a Star Wars Lego world and the interaction with the Lego objects - almost all of them recognizable objects built with lego bricks - from the first five minutes on, it became my favorite action-adventure game for PS2 - bar none.

And then I bought "Lego Indiana Jones". While the creativity and ingenuity remains, I have to say that "fun" is an adjective I seldomly use anymore while playing it. While trying to create a more advanced and effective style of gameplay, the makers of "Lego Indiana Jones" actually created handicaps which work in detriment of the game itself. It actually becomes more of a chore with fun moments sprinkled on top every now and then.

For starters, the mechanics are suffering a great deal. While on LSW is was so easy to commute between characters and jump onto rides that you could navigate (bikes, ships, etc), now you can lose a good few, frustrating, seconds trying to joggle between a character commute or jumping on your horse. Particularly in close quarters, where there's not a lot of room to move.

The straightforwardness of the puzzles also doesn't seem to be there anymore, in the vast majority of cases. I realize the intention was likely to provide with a more challenging product, even for the target demographic (8 years old and above), but even as a grown man, I do find a lot of puzzles complicated to complete, having to resort to multiple characters and having to move between a set of places to complete a puzzle that isn't even that significant for the story-telling and advancing in the game.

And while on the subject of story-telling, the game makers persist on having us watch every cut scene from top to bottom without the chance of skipping ahead, likely forgetting that if the game pleases its audience, they will likely play it several times, and well... You get my drift.

This also occurs in the inital titles where the story of each chapter is told. For some reason, the gamer cannot simply just skip ahead and just play the game... I'm truly baffled as to why this occurs.

And last, but not least, the game saving continues to be somewhat of a problem. If the game makers decide to make a game more difficult, wouldn't it be common sense to consider adding more ways to save, or simply more saving checkpoints? It becomes a real hassle when a level is difficult to complete, then you have to go do something else, and you when you're back you have to do it all over again, because you don't really want to leave the PlayStation on for 8 hours until you're back from work so you don't lose your progress.

Having said all that, I do believe it still is a great game to play, as the worlds are inventive and cleverly adapted, the cutscenes have their fun adaptations of the real ones and the characters are hilarious. (Big kudos for adding phobias to each character here).

Still, a good game doesn't reside only in the looks and characters, but how you actually play it, and for that, I will only give it four stars, as the next installments have a long way to go to reclaim their "excellence" mark in my book.
on 29 December 2008
I got lego indiana jones as a birthday present,I knew that it was going to be a great game as I've played Lego star wars the 2nd saga.It's a great game with some funny humor,the 3 adventures are re-created and is jazzed up a tiny bit. so buy it for your selfs and your children.
on 2 July 2008
A brilliant game for adults and kids. The saving that only allows you to save after chapters and purchases makes it frustrating to have to start levels again. Very funny clips and clever gameplay and puzzles requiring logic and thinking! Worth buying it!
on 30 March 2009
my 4 and 10 year old lads play this together every day and they just love it.