on 4 January 2010
An incredible piece of kit from sony. What an innovation the live view tiltable screen has beeen, especially for animal portrait - since dogs don't feel intimidated by a camera which isn't held to the face. It is a good entry level dslr and sony are continually developing their range of accessories which IS a selling point. The camera boasts super steady shot which is a benefit when trying to take photos quickly. The anti dust system is an asset especially when changing lenses. Photo quality is quite superb, and accessories are priced competitively.
The positions of the controls and ease of use of the menu make this a very easy camera to use. The instruction manual which comes with the camera is explicit and easy to understand. After using this camera for 6 months, I can't pick fault with it, it does exactly what I want a camera to do, hence I give it 5 stars.
on 31 August 2009
I am an amature photographer with a young family and so not a large amount of cash to spend on cameras. I spent ages reading several reviews of DSLR's and eventually went for this. What a superb choice it was!
My friends use Pentax DSLR's and all looked at me strange when I told them that I went for a Sony but after showing them some test shots they were very quick in coming round to my new toy. After they had a play for a while they were converted to the Sony's ability to offer advanced features for an affordable price.
This camera really does take the fight to Nikon and Canon who both could learn alot from the quality of the package that Sony has put together for the price.
This really is a superb product with a superb spec and spot on for anyone who doesn't have the money to play with the big boys but wants the same quality images. Even if you do have enough money to by a Nikon you might just want reconsider coz between the D5000 or a350 you get the same or better performance from the Sony and you will have enough cash to spend on an extra lens, now thats not a bad thought, is it?
review image
on 3 April 2009
I must start this review by saying that I am absolutely not a Camera expert or even proficient in DSLR (or even SLR) usage.
I bought the camera prior to a recent holiday and took it with me to get used to it alongside my trusty Cannon 6mp.
Well by the time I had arrived in Mumbai I can honestly say that I had become very familiar with it, snapping Hostesses and even parts of the inside of the Aircraft and fellow sleeping passengers with great ease.
Wonderful camera that I would honestly recomend to anyone, easy to get used to, comfortable to hold, quality finish, great results even from a numpty like myself.
I would highly reccomend this camera to anyone wishing to explore the world of Digital SLR.
on 29 July 2009
I always used to be absolute rubbish in taking pictures. However all that changed after i got my hands on this camera. I had been planning to buy a digital camera for really really long. However i decided to go for a DSLR rather than spend money again in the future.

It was one of the best decision the results from the camera are absolutely amazing. Read the manual just to know the functions and you are on your way to recording some excellent memories. Recommended buy.
on 9 June 2009
after using a canon 20d for a few years(excellent camera) I decided it was time for a change. I put my old canon in part exchange. I had narrowed my choice to either canon 450d or sony alpha 350. I ended up buying the canon. Went out that day and took about 100 shots went home and downloaded and was mega disappointed with the results. Couldn't sell on ebay so had to buy the sony on credit. What a fabulous camera. The shots were superb. I am only an enthusiast but this camera is easy to use. I wanted a zoom lens and bought the cheapest of three, a tamron 18-300. great decision,brilliant lens. I can highly recommend the sony 350. Possibly the best camera I've ever owned and one I will have for a long,long time. Well done sony.
on 26 June 2009
I have had a Konica Minolta 7D since they came out, having used Minolta AF film cameras for many years. This Sony Alpha 350 enables me to use my existing lenses and the results are just great. It is so much better than the 7D in so many ways. Resolution of course, speed of focus is much, much faster but the shutter is noisier, a bit of a bind on wildlife photography. Easy controls and the super zoom gives better results than a 2X converter!All in all, great. The next will be the Alpha 700!
on 19 August 2009
This must be the best priced SLR matched with performance and spec around, suitable for beginners and semi professional alike. A dream to use with a large selection of excellent lenses and comes with a quality versatile lens as standard.
on 2 August 2011
You've read all the superlatives and I can confirm everything. However, it's useful to be informed of the downsides too.

There is a common fault with Sony DSLRs generally, that of lateral displacement of the recorded image when compared to the framed shot.
You have to fork out close on to £120 for Sony's fixed price repair for what is basically a manufacturing fault. It's like using a point and shoot with parallax error. Try informing the Sony service department of the EEC 2 years warranty requirement. Get an insurance gentle reader!

The camera has a silly tongue in its casing that prevents you from using earlier (camcorder) batteries, all of which charge up happily in the charger supplied with the camera. Maybe they have less capacity but this is just profiteering.

The live view, as excellent as it is, leaves you with a 0.74x magnification viewfinder. After a Pentax LX with about 0.98x that is a real downer.
No mirror lock up when there could be as part of the cleaning mode allows for the mirror to sit up out of the way. No depth of field preview as far as I can tell either. (I've probably missed it but I have owned it for 2.5 years!)

I'm sorry, but I can't accept that the Minolta take on the hot shoe is an improvement.

The usual disgusting price of paltry accessories, some of which ought to be included with the camera anyhoo. In fairness, Sony aren't alone here....

Don't count on any spares being available for that long. It's a dog eat dog world out there and Sony don't support their products much beyond about 3-5 years. Try getting a print head cleaner for one of their dye sublimation printers (3 years old) or a battery for a Clie PDA (5 years old) You'll end up hitting the non OEM market that they warn you about so gravely. If you think that you are going to need some cable or other little accessory, get it now.

Sony software. I don't even need to tell you!

Notwithstanding all of the foregoing, I still heartily recommend this camera for the live view and in-camera-body image stabilisation. Although I have concentrated on the negative points, the Alpha 350 really is a first class camera for the cash. It feels great too! 5*****s all the way for the money.

On the other hand, When Pentax bring out an affordable full frame digital with comparable battery life, I'll jump ship in a heartbeat. No mega bucks spent on Alpha system lenses for me!
on 2 August 2009
brilliant camera with good results.All the better as all my minolta gear fits.used a300mm lens without tripod without any distortion due to the cameras anti shake system.haven t used macro yet but if other results are anything to go by envisage no problems
on 5 January 2009
This camera has every function you could need stepping up from a point and click as i have. It offers function at the touch of a button and advanced features like the live view. It smaller brother the A300 can be picked up cheaper and offers everything this does except it only has a 10.4M filter, so depends what you want. I tried many others before choosing this one and i am not disapointed