Format: DVD|Change

on 17 November 2008
This is the BEST Italian drama I've seen for a long time. It's a properly grown up, heartbreaking drama directed and performed by one of the most talented and handsome Italian actors, Kim Rossi Stuart. I've always been a fan of his late film, The Key to the House (with Charlotte Rampling). Stuart is drawn to father-son relationship-human drama and our emotional journey. In this story, the family drama is observed through the eyes of 11 year old son Tommi and it's about his coming-of-age and his relationship with his father (Kim Rossi Stuart) who portrays a typical working class, harsh, angry, tough father on the surface but in deep down, he is loving, affectionate, trying to do his best to bring up his two children after their mother left them. This film is about the difficulties of life challenges, fatherhood and the love and bond between him and his children.With this film, Kim Rossi Stuart restores the classic reputation of the Italian neo-realist tradition. This film won him the Directors' Fortnight Prize at the Cannes Film Festival. I highly recommend this to anyone who love intelligent drama.
on 9 March 2010
Libero = ALONG THE RIDGE. Kim Stuart Rossi not only Directed, this great film, but also took the responsibility of playing the role of the children's father. It is a beautifully photographed and acted emotional story, about the hard life of a single parent, the father... whose wife comes and goes whenever there was extra itching or maybe not getting enough sexual satisfaction She was ready to leave behind her own flesh and blood - two innocent children fending for themselves with their busy father. He loved them and gave them every minute he could make available. The children; the older, a girl in her early teens and the son, a couple of years younger, were very responsible, but the emptiness and the void of the missing mother hit the children very hard.
No more writing about the feelings of both the father and the kids. The film is great. The DVD I had, had no problems and both the picture and the transfer were of very high quality. A must see. An incredible story, very well edited and with the emotions; eyes can bleed.
on 11 February 2010
The film is excellent but the DVD is diffective. The last 10-15 min of the film is missing. I asked for replacement and I received an other DVD having the same problem with the first. Are all DVDs of this film diffective?
on 11 March 2015
Libero, slow to begin the story but once the mother came back, very good I thought as usual director/actors, Kim Stuart Rossi overacted. However The young lad was excellent. The story line seemed a bit weird at times, like going up dead-ends, which didn't seem relevant to the story. I was hooked when the mother left again, although you knew she would, right from the start
When the film ended as it did, I wanted more surly there was more to come. I felt cheated, and was enjoying it so much. I think the should do a follow up. I don't normally watch films over again, but I will with this one for sure
If you haven't seen it buy it you will not regret it I can guarantee it.
on 10 August 2013
This film met all my expectations: tasteful, deep meaning, no modern special effects, very logical and psychological plot, extremely good actors, not at all American ...ach, I could go on and on...
on 3 September 2015
DVD played perfectly. Unlike Montalbano and some other Italian films I've seen which I found incredibly dated, cheesy and sexist, comes this absolute gem. Modern, grounded, real, an outstanding cast, and flawless script. I related to this film very much coming from a similar Italian family, I cannot express how realistic the scenes were, I was taken aback.
on 16 September 2015
possibly the best film I have seen this year. Very believable as real life storyline
on 17 January 2015
not a particularly interesting story, although well acted by the boy.
on 27 August 2011
I think this film has suffered from being directed by the principle actor, Kim Stuart Rossi, but I am not altogether sure what the underlying meaning/lesson of the film is apart from being about a rather useless and hot-tempered father slowly losing the plot and his son having a miserable time throughout.
on 9 May 2014
The film was excellent until Chapter 5, when it just stopped playing. I bought a second copy which did exactly the same thing so couldn't watch the 2nd half which is really disappointing because the plot and acting were both good. I have had to complain to Amazon FIVE times to get them to sort out a refund for both copies as they couldn't seem to understand that BOTH copies had an identical fault. If anyone knows of anywhere else to buy this film (without a costly trip to Italy), I'd love to know about it as so far I've only seen it on Amazon. I'm really disappointed with Amazon's handling of this too. I think they should ban this seller.......