5.0 out of 5 stars I thought this would never happen
"Mysterious Cities of Gold" on DVD! Who'd have thought? I remember being at uni in 2000 and having to watch the episodes in RealPlayer format as nobody knew who held the copyright to the series! To whoever sorted out the copyright mess, THANK YOU.

Published on 21 May 2008 by Star_Sea

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed discs
My criticism is of this set of DVDs and not of the TV series, which is brilliant. I enjoyed discs 1 and 2 but when I tried to use disc 3 it wouldn't load and wouldn't eject either. Managed, by switching the DVD player off then back on immediately and pushing eject to get disc out. I checked disc 4 and it worked OK but you do want all the discs in a complete set of a...
Published 1 month ago by David in Sussex

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought this would never happen, 21 May 2008
Star_Sea "Xing" (Salisbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)

This is a box set that has been lovingly put together. Nothing is lacking, they've put everything in here that you could possibly want, including the hilarious moment when Philip Schofield and Gordon the Gopher sang along to the theme tune (which I remember from the first time around).

Some cartoon series don't hold up to adult viewing but this one does. Apart from the interesting factual clips at the end of each episode, the series does not skip over the darker side of history and the characters actually have some depth. But I know I'm preaching to the choir. Buy it, treasure it, show your kids how cartoons used to be made.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Cartoon Series you're ever likely to watch, 22 May 2008
Mr. J. L. Fish (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I have to say that when I originally watched this cartoon around 20 years ago, I became absolutely hooked. I couldn't believe how good it was. That was the general consensus of most people who watched it, it really was compulsive viewing!

Now having purchased it from HMV & watched it, it's even better than I remember it. The visuals are stunning & the music adds to the feel of the cartoon better than any other I have ever seen, but the storyline is what really hooks you.

I would have to describe this as a 'what if'. What if Eldorado really existed? What if there really was a city of Gold built by an advanced ancient civilisation? This is the cartoon that explores this thesis. Heavily based on historical fact, this combines it with a fantasy element, though not so much as to make it ridiculously unbelievable (as many other programmes and films have), rather it serves to educate the viewer in a mature & entertaining way. Combined with a historical piece at the end of each episode, it teaches you many things you were unaware of.

Okay, so nothing is perfect and it does have one or two flaws. The most obvious one being the dialogue. Sometimes it does indeed come across that the characters are reading from a script because the tone is somewhat fast and flat at times and I noticed that on occasions the characters will be walking single-file at a distance of about 50 or so feet and the last in line appears to hear what the first is saying, but that is soon forgotten in the brilliance of the piece.

Overall though it is a stunning piece of animation and the message that comes across over & over again during the 39 episodes is that love & compassion should always take presidence over greed & self interest. In a word, Unmissable!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 8 Sep 2009
A. Van De Velde "Erlandil" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
This box is a nice buy. It consists of 6 dvd's which are folded into a cardboard foldable section. The amount of extras that are with it are rather funny. Cards, overview map etc.

De quality of the dvd's itself is excellent, the only minus I found was that there are no subtitles whatsoever. Normally I don't mind national subtitles (I am a dutch person) but I prefer to have english subtitles just for the convenience of putting the sound a little lower.

Other than that, the series were exactly as I remembered, funny, well written en the extras on the dvd are also a nice thing to have. I really wonder why series like these, which are rather educational even, are not shown on television anymore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye - Till next time, 16 Aug 2009
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
The Mysterious Cities of Gold - a delightful Japanese/French co-production, is an epic anime series, obviously aimed at the younger viewer, but intelligent enough for us grown-up children still to enjoy! The action takes us from 15th century Spain to the New World, where the Spaniards are desperate to plunder the legendary golden treasures. The child characters - Esteban, Tau and Zia, are noble and selfless, whereas the adults tend to be greedy and ruthless. The most well-rounded of the latter is Mendoza the navigator. His initial motives are less than altruistic. He finds redemption though by protecting the children and is content to settle for a modest share of the plunder. The out-and-out boo-hiss villains are Gomez, Gaspard and the Olmecs (more on them later). Comedy value is added by the stammering Sancho and the rather chimp-like Pedro, not to mention the plump, chatty and rather precocious parrot Kokapetl. A particularly nice feature is the brief but informative mini-documentary at the end of each episode that explores South American native culture. The tale starts with a fair degree of historical accuracy, as the Spaniards sail West, intoxicated with gold-fever. As the tale unfolds though, more fantastic elements are introduced - ancient technology (Erich Von Daniken style) and the mythical realms of Hiva (Mu) and Atlantis. That I could live with. The Solar ship and golden condor were undeniably spectacular and were suitable Macguffins with which to advance the plot. What I found more hard to swallow though was the recasting of the Olmecs - in reality one of the earliest but most inventive South American civilisations, as villainous aliens (or possibly deformed humans). But enough nit-picking! The great thing about TMCoG is that it doesn't shy away from the darker elements of human nature and the 40 or so episodes will give you a great many hours of adventure. There's even a satisfyingly happy ending. Oh, and don't forget the terrific theme tune, which will be stuck in your head for days!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia Isn't As Good As It Used To Be, 11 Dec 2010
I remember watching this series back in the day when Children's BBC was presented from a broom cupboard with Andi Peters and two arms known as The Butler. As there are 39 episodes and there was one shown a week it seemed to go on forever, but I'd rush home to see the next installment of The Mysterious Cities of Gold. I bough this box set collection recently for pure nostalgia.

It's an exciting storyline and subject for children, three children constantly outwit adults to find their way to hidden cities built from gold and, in two cases, search for their long lost fathers.

Well, after all these years it's still entertaining, not least the theme music, (superb!) however, the story does lose its way in parts what with a futuristic race freezing themselves looking for a cure to their old age using technology beyond the 21 century in the 16 century but as a child I think you'd overlook that.

I'm sure my children will enjoy to watch these as I did when I was their age, the question is, will I force them to sing every time the theme tune comes on?

Yes, yes I will.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing release!, 6 Nov 2009
This show was produced in the year I was born, and was one of the shows that stood out from my childhood.

Even twenty years after watching it I could still sing the themesong!

So when I saw that there was a DVD release of this show, that I had seen hide nor hair of since the 80s ended, I hit the the 'add to basket' button faster than the speed of light!

And when I recieved the boxset I was certainly NOT disappointed.

The series itself is successful because of it's memorable characters, it's intelligent and thought out storyline and it's willingness to break the barriers of children's TV and create a show that appeals to a wider audience. Due to it's lingering popularity with the original fans of this show (and the recent trend of 80s animation making cult comebacks), Fabulous Films could have probably gotten away with throwing all the episodes on DVDs and leaving it at that.

But this boxset is well packaged, comes with a lovely information book and every disc comes with some bonus materials (including missing scenes, concept art, interviews etc.). It's been lovingly restored (even though nothing short of complete reproduction is going to make the 28 year old animation look perfect, it still looks great to watch) and the sound and music sound wonderful, too.

So I not only have to congratulate the original production staff for creating a great series but I also have to congratulate Fabulous Films for producing a fantastic release.

5.0 out of 5 stars I dream of following the path of the setting sun, that leads to El Dorado and The Mysterious Cities of Gold, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of the shows that I remember best from my childhood. Intelligent, well written and exciting. Unlike other cartoons shows of the era which were essentially individually packed episodes, this truly is an epic story told over the whole series. At the end of every episode there is a short (about a few minutes) non-animated documentary explaining some of the factual basis behind the themes of the episode. These were excellent.

I really wanted the HMV 'special edition' of Cities of Gold when it was first released on DVD, but I missed the opportunity at the time. I finally decided to get the deluxe edition from Amazon and I was (pleasantly!) surprised that it contained the poster and six postcards that I expected the HMV only version to contain. I guess this is the difference between the slimline version and the more expensive one on Amazon and may influence the decision of some of the more nostalgic out there.

I don't have children, but when I do, I'll be making them watch this show so they can understand how good TV for my generation was. Damn I sound old

5.0 out of 5 stars MCOG - Reunited at last, 11 Feb 2011
Matthew (staffordshire) - See all my reviews
Wow! I can't believe that I found this DVD, and it's the entire lot too. I have sat watched them all now, and it brought so many memories back to me from when I can remember watching it in the early 80's followed by Dogtanian just after it, but the only reason I bought this was because I couldn't remember what happened. I am pleased now.

Get it if you recall watching it, fantastic bit of nostalgia

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious Cities of Glold DVD, 8 Oct 2009
This is just fantastic. Had been looking for it for a while and found it here. I wanted it to be posted to Sri Lanka so i could use it in my class topic day about explorers and encounters. I didn't pay extra for quick delivery but it arrived within 14 days, sooner than I had expected, time for me to have a quick look and decide which episodes i wnated the children to watch. The children watched the first 3 episodes today and gave it a big thumbs up... so much so i've been pestered for the rest of the day to watch the rest as the topic continues. Thank you Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF TV'S BEST TREASURES, 30 Mar 2008
This review is from: Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I'd almost forgotten just how serious/intelligent/fun/entertaining this show could be...after 25yrs this will be one those anime's that has (imo) stood the test of time. Older fans aside, in here is everything a little boy or girl could wish for - adventure! - in all it's highest and saddest moments, you'll never forget it.

ARRAY(0xaa294d08)

Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD]
Mysterious Cities Of Gold - Complete Series [DVD] by Bernard Deyriès (DVD - 2008)