5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece - my most frequently played album, 24 Oct 2010
Jiri Schwarz (Prague, Czechia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watt (Audio CD)
Definitely TYA's masterpiece, issued 1970. It's probably my most frequently played album of all times, still after those 40 years. I still feel the smell of the parties of the seventies in Prague, dancing e.g. to Think About the Times. The album has an extremely unique atmosphere (yes, also tired in a way, maybe frustrated, but also full of tenderness and love in Alvin's voice and music as well, subdued lights mandatory), which is only partially captured on other TYA albums (e.g. Cricklewood Green, Space In Time). The totally happy tune, She Lies In the Morning, is really great (maybe adding some genuine British /Liverpool?/ inspiration to the mixture). Alvin's guitar solos are at his best: more "homogenous", with greater than ever melodic invention. In addition, the perfect musicianship of the other 3 members of the group ought to be mentioned (Leo Lyons-bg, Chick Churchill-kb, Ric Lee-ds). Watt heralds the great change from the music of the sixties to the actual modern rock sound of the seventies (what a progress if you compare it to their pure R&B debut some 3 years before). Just listen to the brief shift into a fantastic jazzy improvisation (Gonna Run), years before the climax of the jazz-rock era. There are also heavenly rocky improvisations (I Say Yeah, She Lies In the Morning). The value of Watt is probably in its very specific sound that has brought together divergent inspirations, from blues, jazz to hard-rock. Watt is an extraordinary achievement, the result of previous years of playing the blues (and I guess they must have had experience with jazz as well). I only admit that the closing live piece taken at the Isle of Wight festival, Sweet Little Sixteen, has been performed better by other bands (and TYA themselves could play R'N'R classics also much better), and it never seemed to fit to the remaining tracks of the album. However, it does not hamper the overall feeling from listening to the album. In short, if you want to discover why TYA are so genuine in history of R'N'R, Watt has to be the choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Introducing.....TYA, 17 Nov 2007
G. G. Saunders "Rock Dr." (West Sussex .UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watt (Audio CD)
Watt was my first ever introduction to TYA and it pleases me to now have a copy on CD , this band had a record along with Argent for the amount of north American tours they undertook. But the albums were always really fresh and interesting written nearly always by Alvin Lee guitarist vocalist and founded member, also once known as the fastest player in the west. this Watt has rock, rock n roll, fierce to delicate songs I love it all and if you stick your neck out and buy a copy the next one to get should be A space in time. If you want the beat blues rock then dip into a earlier album like Cricklewood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best ?, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: Watt (Audio CD)
Watt is not the favourite album of TYA fans. It is a fact. But not for me. I am a French TYA fan for ever (hello Leo, Ric, Chick and Joe)and even Alvin Lee if you read that.
I don't know why, but "watt" is something special for me I can't explain.
perhaps because I discover TYA with this album. I am sure it the reason.
The cover art work is wonderful, very 70s, as "ssssh" or cricklewood green"
In this times bands made wonderful LP covers. (where do these times deasappear?)
My favourite song is "i'm coming on" . Simple, fresh, rock, with one of the best fantastic solo ever made.
But others are simply great, natural, uncommercial (sic...),as "gonna run" and all others.
A free one, a good one, a great one. The best you've done my friends. For me. of course.
It is still my favourite today.
Patrick, (France)

sorry for my english. hope you understand what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy sleeve, 3 Aug 2008
G. G. Saunders "Rock Dr." (West Sussex .UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watt (Audio CD)
Watt a weird cover Watt a fantastic album. looking back its an assortment of styles we have folk, rock. r&b a real eclectic groove and it all flows so well. Alvin once infamously known as the fastest guitarist in the west gives us plenty to chew on here. all four members do them self proud especially the flowing almost jazzy bass runs from Leo. what with the vast amount of American tours this band made it is amazing to think they ever got in to a recording studio and came up with such great stuff...brilliant indeed. Watt is my favourite TYA album

5.0 out of 5 stars watt? yearh turn it up!, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Watt (Audio CD)
I like ten years after and this album is a cracker watt is a appropriate tittle prity heavy compared to there earlier albums still rock n blues but a we bit heavier little less jazzier anouther masterpiece enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watt a best British bluesrock, 25 Feb 2014
Koos "Koos Reitsma" (Groningen, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watt (Audio CD)
As a teenager who is born in 1976 I started to listen to the LP-records my dad had put in my room. He just did not had the space to put them somewhere else. It was a collection of John Mayall, Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, Cuby+Blizzards, Creedence, Stephen Stills, some blues collection LP’s, and records by a band called Ten Years After.

“Watt” was the record that introduced me into the British Blues Boom and since then I cherish this record. Although Ten Years After is not my all-time favorite band, the record “Watt” is a big favorite. It’s the record that has captured the blues music mixed with Rock ‘n Roll with a touch of Jazz influence in fresh British style. It is not Alvin Lee showing how fast he can play. It is a tight, compact band playing record.

“Watt” opens up-tempo with the 3m45sec “I’m coming on”. It is the blues rock song with one of finest, smoothest and best sounding guitar solo in the history of music. The song’ structure is very simple: opening cords that delivers the up-tempo rhythm for the whole song, two traditional blues chorus, beautiful clean sounding guitar solo perfectly build up to a climax, final chorus, end. Having heard the song many, many times it never bores. “My baby left me”, lyrically not impressive, musically the more. It starts easy and quiet with Alvin Lee singing in soft style suddenly to speeding up the tempo with more emotional, soft-angry and restrained temper vocals. Distinctive distorted guitar though the song. “Think about the times” a piano style slow blues ballad. “She said yeah”, it’s like Peter Frampton distinctive talkbox in his famous “Show me the way”. Only here it is like Alvin Lee used the talkbox for his guitar, combined with some wah-wah-pedal effects.

B-side opens with a short instrumental, the military spaghettiwestern style “The band with no name”. The free-form-jam influence from the Jazz are presented in “Going to run” and “She lies in the morning”. The first has fine, subtle guitarplaying by Alvin Lee. The latter is a 7+ minutes TYA opus with changes of speed and changes style, almost like a one-take jam session. Album’s last song is the weakest song: a live version of Chuck Berry’s “Sweet Little Sixteen”, performed at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival. It’s rock ‘n roll, but surely not the best performance.

“Watt” is British bluesrock at its best. After all these years the fresh creativity is still to hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alvin Lee at his best, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Watt (Audio CD)
This album perfectly takes you back to the early seventies with superb rock music that will not disappoint.
A true 10 years after classic

4.0 out of 5 stars TYA at their best, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Watt (Audio CD)
Great album - just how I remembered it all those years ago.....

4.0 out of 5 stars The 6th album, remastered, 27 Mar 2008
This review is from: Watt (Audio CD)
Watt was the bands final release for Deram, coming in 1971. It was their sixth album, following hot on the heels of their most successful release: Cricklewood Green. Watt features seven tracks recorded at Olympic Studios in Barnes and one (Sweet Little Sixteen, originally by Chuck Berry) recorded live at the 1970 Isle Of Wight festival.

It features the classic line-up of:

Alvin Lee - guitar & vocals
Ric Lee - drums
Leo Lyons - bass
Chic Churchill - keyboards

This album was remastered at Abbey Road.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value!, 13 Nov 2014
Brilliant!

Watt
Watt by Ten Years After (Audio CD - 2008)