5.0 out of 5 stars Very robust
The Leifheit Centring Ground Spike is a bit of a monster. Whilst you may think it seems a little pricey, it is EXTREMELY well made, and short of smacking it with a sledge hammer, will just about survive anything.

Published 24 months ago by Nick Flynn

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so clever Design.
Published on 31 Dec. 2012 by Gramps

5.0 out of 5 stars Very robust, 31 May 2013
Nick Flynn "NickF" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Leifheit 85607 Centring Rotary Clothes Line Ground Socket for 5 cm Rotary Clothes Lines Centring Poles (Kitchen & Home)

Even though it is self centring, you do still need to be pretty accurate when you screw it in. I prepared the ground with a good few buckets of water, and I used an old crow bar to make an initial pilot hole.

Screwing the beast into the ground still took a bit of effort, and I used a piece of steel tubing to gain some additional leverage.

Once in to the required depth, and having installed the mower shield, I was ready to go. I was gratified that I only needed to make a very minor adjustment to get it just right.

I know some people are not happy to have this 2 or 3cm piece of plastic jutting out of their lawn, but the alternative for me was to concrete in a more basic spike.

I'm happy enough, and if I ever move, I can always unscrew it and take it with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job..., 24 Jun. 2013
Petra just a girl who loves to read... "book ... (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Leifheit 85607 Centring Rotary Clothes Line Ground Socket for 5cm clothes Lines Centring Poles for me was the solution of having my rotary line in my back garden without having to use cement.
It was easy enough put into the ground after doing what was recommended by the makers of dampening the ground which I did do, though I was unable to put it in the ground myself as I simply had not got the necessary strength required even after moistening the ground.
After getting the socket twisted down into the ground using a long metal bar which is supplied, this is the heaviest part of the package as the actual socket is made from a tough, strong plastic material. You also are provided with a three plastic pieces which when connected or in a round shape which provides protection from lawn mowers. This is put roughly three cent-imetres from the top of the socket(above ground). After this it is the matter of putting your dryer in the actual socket, at the top of the socket is a plastic dial which when you first put in is at Number 1, straighten at Number 2 then lock your line at Number 3 which locks your rotary dryer firmly.
Why I do like this actual socket is mainly the neatness, and the second main reason I can easily remove the dryer after folding up the main dryer and store in the shed while not in use especially through the main winter. There is also a cap which is neatly connected to the socket which is kept safe as it is actually attached to the socket, when I remove the dryer for storage etc I simply put the cap on tightly which prevents the socket filling with water or debris such as leaves or other dirty material.
For me personally I would recommend the Leifheit Socket for the rotary dryers it is also available in other sizes which will suit various sizes or other makes of rotary dryers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works beautifully, 3 May 2013
Z. Herbert "solaan" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this to accompany my Leifheit Linomatic Deluxe Rotary Clothes Line with Retractable Lines - 50 mtr (162 ft ) # 82001 and I'm glad I did. When it came, it was bigger than I expected; the screw at the 'ground' end looks like an engine of war. It is carefully machined, no sharp (other than the edge screw thread) or rough bits and it is a reassuring size. It is supplied with instructions, a hole cover, three lock together plates that prevent grass growing next to the post for easier lawn mowing and a sturdy bar to facilitate screwing it into the ground.

Following the instructions, I watered the ground first. This made the ground softer and the screw had no problems entering the ground. It became more difficult as I progressed and needed a good bit of muscle to screw it to the recommended depth. It sits level and solid once in place. There is a setting up process to centre the drier that involves twisting the drier in the socket then locking the socket once the pole is vertical. This only need to be done once but can be re-adjusted at any time. The drier slots into the socket without any preamble. There is a very slight shifting from the vertical as the drier rotates but that doesn't bother me at all. Indeed, it is to be expected, I suppose.

If you get the drier, get this socket. It will save you time and tears. I'm pleased I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not on my lawn, 4 May 2013
Dave (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a monster of a fitting and frankly I would not like it in my lawn as it leaves a rather big bit sticking out. Not far of the size of a half a house brick. You cannot mow over this fitting, you need to mow around it. There is a plastic disc supplied that goes around the fitting that stops the grass growing for a couple of inches around the unit and you can just lawnmower over this disc. If this disc is not used then I think you would need to trim the grass with shears or a strimmer.

The idea is that you screw the fitting into the ground using a metal bar supplied and while it is certainly possible it does take quite a bit of effort. I used an old fitting to act as an extension bar and this made the job much easier.

While the unit is self centering it can only adjust the "lean" to a limited amount so it is still important to get the fitting a vertical as possible. Then minor adjustments can be made to ensure the dryer is vertical.

If you intend fitting this in the lawn then I think it will be ugly but in a border where it can be hidden it will be OK. It is certainly sturdy enough to hold the rotary dryer so I will give it 5 stars when used in the border and I would not use it in the lawn at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so clever Design., 31 Dec. 2012
Gramps (East Anglia UK) - See all my reviews
We bought this to accompany a new Leifheit drier and needed something quick to use as the replacement drier had a larger diameter pole than our old one. It is sturdy, easy to screw in to the ground and very easy to adjust so that the line pole is vertical. However, and perhaps unsurprisingly given the amount of rain we've had it soon moved in the ground. So I concreted it in which has done the job even though it's not designed for that and is an expensive option - however you don't need to be extra careful getting the socket vertical as the adjustment takes care of it. My only reservation is that the drier pole is not a particularly tight fit in the socket and I wonder after time with movement if it will wear or damage the adjustment collar at the top - time will tell. Recommended? Not unless you really can't concrete in a normal socket and have solid ground.

Edit @ 8 months use. There is either a design flaw or a fault with the adjustment rings. It is possible to get the pole vertical and then lock the top adjustment. BUT there is another adjustment ring in the base of the socket which provides for an additional adjustment. You take the pole out and gradually turn the adjusting ring to get a vertical setting on the pole. The adjustment ring then locks in place when the pole is inserted. However any time that you take the pole out, this lower adjustment ring springs up from its locking position and is free to turn - so the pole goes out of alignment again. Not recommended - go with an ordinary socket if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what is expected., 10 May 2014
Easy to fit in the ground after adding plenty of water. Adjustment did not present any problems. I was torn between getting a cheap spike from a local DIY store or this unit. I believe this was the better buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars 85607 centering ground socket is complicating to fathom out at ..., 26 Sept. 2014
85607 centering ground socket is complicating to fathom out at first but after several attempts and keep reading instructions over and over again HEY it works and is great

5.0 out of 5 stars Leifheit Groundspike, 7 July 2011
Substantially built product, supplied with a metal bar to allow easy turning when twisting into the ground,even when parched from drought.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-designed dryer socket problem., 4 July 2013
Mr. A. Thompson (England) - See all my reviews
My experience goes against the grain of other reviews. The vertical dryer pole does not fit neatly into this socket which also seems not deep enough to firmly support the large dryer above. Trying to keep it vertical requires regular twisting to avoid a PISA lean.
It is supposed to be self correcting. I note there is reference to 'instructions' here but I do not have any. If I could have a copy maybe that would remove my dissatisfaction with this over-designed ground socket.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 25 Oct. 2013
looks goods, does the job well. folds up easily and keep ropes very clean. also can be put away for holidays breaks and winter