on 1 June 2005
I purchased this album the week it came out, and now I feel I am ready to write my opinion on it.

I have given this album 5 stars as it's a good album, but it lacks what Mariah has in most of her older albums. It seems these days she whispers more than projects her '8 octave' voice, as if she doesn't need to make much of an effort. Here is what I think of the songs on the album:
1. It's Like That - 8/10 This isn't the best song on the album, it's not even in the top 3 probably. Quite a bland song actually.
2. We Belong Together - 10/10 Now this is more like it Mariah! Good vocals, good beat and a great video. This is the 'real' Mariah Carey.
3. Shake It Off - 8/10 One of Mariah's 'whisper' songs. Not too keen on this song.
4. Mine Again - 10/10 Nice ballad, Mariah shows her full voice here, good lyrics too.
5. Say Somethin' - 10/10 This is a pretty good song, allthough I don't like the fact Mariah uses rappers. Mix of vocals, some high some whsiper.
6. Stay The Night - 9/10 Good, powerful song.
7. Get Your Number - 10/10 Really love this song! Didn't at first but it grew on me.
8. One And Only - 7/10 Didn't 'get with' this song. Sounds boring and dull.
9. Circles - 10/10 Another powerful song by Mariah!
10. Your Girl - 10/10 Another great mixed vocal song!
11. I Wish You Knew - 10/10 Sounds like an older Mariah song. Good vocals, lyrics.
12. To The Floor - 8/10 OK song, but Mariah and Nelly just don't suit each other! Vocals are on good form too.
13. Joy Ride - 10/10 LOVE THIS SONG! Didn't at first but it grew on me. Mariah should release this next. It's a really nice ballad!
14. Fly Like A Bird - 10/10 Another EXCELLENT song. The gospel choir at the end preform perfectly, as does Mariah.
15. Sprung - 9/10 The first bit of the track is annoying, but gets quite good. She should definatly contemplate releasing this as a single. Better than 'It's Like That' in my opinion.
So all in all this is a good album. Not Mariah's best, but good. But Mariah simply does better at ballads such as the BRILLIANT 'Someday' which for me, totally trashes her new R&B approach at songs such as 'It's Like That'. Notice how her song ' We Belong Together' got to number one in the U.S, but 'It's Like That' didn't. Mariah, I prefer your ballads and full voice!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
No matter what Mariah has been through in life ive always like her music, but considering she's been away from the music scene for a few years this album is some comeback and i can it's well worth the wait.
In my opinion there is honestly not a bad track on the whole album, if anything it could do with a few more.
On this album Mariah work with some of the hottest stars in music like Jermaine Dupri, Snoop, Nelly, Twista and more.
So if your into good classic r&b and Mariah at her BEST make up your own mind go out and buy this album cuz trust me you wont be disappointed as it's worth EVERY penny.
on 18 April 2005
When i heard that mariah carey was going to bring out a new album the first thing that came into my mind was that it would be rubbish because the album before this one CHARMBRACLET wasnt that good and it didnt have many good reviews! But on the day of its release i went to hmv and decided to purchase it and walked home and decided to play it whilst doing some art coursework. The first track It's Like That which is currently in the uk singles chart is a fab come back song and the single has shifted hundreds of thousands copies so good on you mariah! Track 2 We Belong Together is her next single view her video at msnmusic.com its a good video. Sorry erm ye this track is even better than number 1 and i think she will do well with this. The album has other artists such as TWISTA! and NELLY! and all the tunes made are of a good standard the only song i cant stand is JOYRIDE! everything is else is amazing
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Ok so mariah hasnt had the best millenium music wise so far. Even though it was a good album, glitter failed to do well, and although charmbracelet got 2 top 20 hits, the album itself failed to make an impact. This was the final chance for Mariah to prove that she hasnt lost the touch, the question is, has she proved that?
The answer to that everyone is YES!!! from the begining of the album 'its like that' to the end 'sprung' every song is incredible. You can tell a lot of work has gone into this and it really shows and pays off. Personal favz include 'say somethin', 'One and only' and 'stay the night'
Not only has the voice made a long overdue comeback with this album, but she has also made, in my opinion, one of the greatest albums of her career. All you critics the voice isn't gone, she'z just getting started.
on 4 April 2005
This album is possibly ,Mariah Carey's best to date. Having been a fan since her early days I feel that this album almost reflects her early tracks on albums like like Daydream and Butterfly, with ballads like "We Can Belong Together" in which Mariah can show her broad range of musical talents on full display like co-writing and co-producing. This album also shows off her trademark impressive vocal range that the likes of other "singers" could only hope to aspire to. This album really puts a stop to any comparisons with other "singers" like J.Lo and Britney, since Mariah really could just sing them out of the studio. Stand out tracks include the first single, "It's Like That", "We Belong Together", "Mine Again", although really the majority of the album is very good. An amazing album for anyone really!!!!!!!!
on 9 April 2005
If you're not a fan a Mariah, and you want to buy this album but you are having doubts then think again. This album is a master piece, you'll be amazed at how JAW dropping her voice is esp. on The ballads!!!! Mc is On fiyah
I'm LOVING This Album!
Fly Like a bird 7/5
We Belong Together:5/5
Mine Again : 5/5
on 23 January 2005
We have been waiting patiently for 2 years, eagerly awaiting the return from one of the best female singers of all time! Finally, after scoring a couple of hits appearing on tracks with the likes of Busta Rhymes and Jadakiss, multi million selling songstress Mariah Carey returns with perhaps one of 2005's most anticipated releases, 'Emancipation of Mimi'
So far the new millennium hasn't been to good for Mariah. 2001's 'Glitter' the first release by her on Virgin Records was also the sound track to her first outing in a leading role in the film of the same name. Based losly around her own life experiences, the film was panned by critics world-wide and subsequently the album flopped too. Shame because the album contained some of her best vocal performances of her career ('Lead The Way'/'Never Too Far'). Her partnership with Virgin (reported to be the biggest paid contract in history) ended, with Virgin's parent company EMI handing out a very large payout to terminate the contract.
2002, after recovering from a serious breakdown, Mariah returned with 'Charmbraclet' the first record to released on the Island Def Jam label and her own shoot-off label MonarC. The album wasn't quite the comeback everyone was waiting for, although it did contain some excellent tracks like 'Through The Rain'. What I wasn't too keen on was perhaps the general production of the album. Jay-Z' regular producers - Damizza, Just Blaze and "7", were perhaps not the best of producers to chose. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and Mariah' regular producer Jermaine Dupri offered the better cuts on the album. Although both couldn't surpass their superior efforts on Mariah's 'Rainbow Album'.
Keeping both 'Butterfly and 'Rainbow' in mind, how will 2005's 'Emancipation of Mimi' fair? From what i've heard so far, it certainly sounds promissing. 'It's Like That' feat. small cameo's from JD & Fat Man Scoop is an up-tempo R&B/HIP-HOP/POP crossover containing 80's beats. Mariah's vocals sound sharper than anything she's done this century, and it's catchy too. Production wise, it's better than anything on 'Glitter' and 'Charmbraclet'.
'Tonight', a collaboration with Nelly, is an excellent long awaited production between Mazza and the Neptunes. It may not be to all tastes as Mariah performs the song using her silky smooth vocals. However, what many don't understand is that an artist doesn't have to sing a song belting it in their full vocal range to make it sound good. Mariah's 'whispery' vocals have evolved somewhat since the last album, and Nelly' contribution is a plus. It's 'HOT'!
The second Neptunes produced track is 'Say Someything' feat. a rap from Snoop Dogg. Out of the three tracks that were leaked to the internet, this is the one I haven't heard much of - and when I did get the chance to hear it, it was on a poor quality digital radio station. However, it didn't sound at all bad to me, but it didn't instintly grab me like the other two did on first play. It'll be a grower. Originally it was to be the first release from 'Emancipation of Mimi', however I think it was a good decision to scrap it in favour of 'ILT'. To me it doesn't have first release material stamped over it. Perhaps second or third release would do it and the album justice.
As of yet, there is no official track listings for the album, although rumoured titles of tracks include 'Stay The Night', 'Yur Girl' and 'Mine Again', amoungst others, and according to Mariah, is likley to be about 15-16 tracks long.
So far, just from these three tracks alone, it appears Mariah is definately returning more so towards R&B than Hip Hop, and the quality and production is probably likely to be similar to that of 'Butterfly' and 'Rainbow', or hopefully even better. I will post again once the album finally arrives, hopefully with a bag full of positive comments.
on 5 April 2005
I always thought that the Butterfly album would be her last great album! This one certainly is comparable, if not even better, than Butterfly. I am glad that she used her full voice in most of the tracks here.
Standouts:
4. Stay the Night
Go and get your copy!
Erick
on 4 April 2005
After a disappointing charmbracelet album, which was unfortunately charmless, this album is a superb return to form for Miss Carey. Gone are the whispery vocals which were overused and hindered the charmbracelet album, in this album Carey uses a wide range of vocal styles, cumulating in perfect harmony.
The first track sets the tone for the rest of the album, it's very much a party album. Here are the tracks, followed by a brief review:
It's like that- 4.5/5, a catchy tune with a good beat, very addictive.
We Belong Together- 4/5, a classic Carey ballad, melodic and pleasant to listen to. Carey refrains from drowning the track in her vocals, it starts of restarined but finishes powerfully.
Shake it off- 4/5, good RnB ballad, tempo changes maintain interest.
Mine Again- 2/5, I find this song boring and horribley reminiscent of the duet she did with westlife.
Say Somethin- 3/5, has a relaxed feel, produced by the neptunes, snoop dogg's rap goes well in the song.
Stay the night, 6/5, brilliant, has a very 70's feel to it. One of the best tracks on the album.
Get your number, 4/5, features Dupri, has a good electronic keyboard beat, but i think Dupri hindres the track rather than enchance it. Carey is a bit boastful in it as well, v. bling bling.
One and Only, 5/5, utterly brilliant, Carey hits her high notes to perfection in this track.
Circles, 3/5, a tad bit boring, though alright.
Your Girl, 6/5, brilliant track,
I wish you knew, 3/5, nice, but i find it a bit boring.
To the Floor, 4/5, good neptunes beat, complements carey's voice.
Joy Ride, 2/5, one of the weakest tracks on the album, it's just boring, doesn't retain interest.
Fly like a Bird, 4/5, Gospelesque, i think Carey's whispery voice hinders the first two verses of the track, though the dramatic gospel ending sounds really powerful.
Sprung, 1/2, a horrible track including a horrible robot voice saying Mc, though it's only a bonus track.
Conc, defenitely buy this track, it's a return to form for Carey.
on 1 July 2005
I've never bought a Mariah album before, but I loved "It's Like That" and "We Belong Together" so much, I had to have it. And I must say that this is the most pleased I have ever been with an album!
Every song is fantastic, if you like the singles you'll love the rest.