5.0 out of 5 stars Under The Sea
Published on 16 July 2010 by Ms S. Dempsey

1.0 out of 5 stars FIRE RISK - BUYER BEWARE!
My 2 year old son loves this and had not been apart from it for the last 3 months but after replacing the batteries in it yesterday, the battery compartment melted, the battery coil glowed red hot (no exaggeration) and the batteries nearly exploded - all within about 10 seconds. The stench was horrific. My advice would be NOT TO USE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES IN THIS PRODUCT...
Published on 17 Feb. 2013 by James

5.0 out of 5 stars Under The Sea, 16 July 2010
Ms S. Dempsey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher-Price 'Ocean Wonders' Soothe & Glow Seahorse (Blue) (Toy)
The Fisher Price Soothe and Glow Seahorse was given as a present to Freddy before he had even left hospital. Daddy and I were actually pleasantly surprised when Grandma turned up with this, as we'd being toying with the idea of buying either this or the Fisher Price Glow Worm once we knew whether we were having a boy or a girl. Available in either blue or pink, the seahorse is an adorable, interactive soft toy, suitable from birth upwards.

Measuring approximately 10 inches in length, the Soothe and Glow Seahorse features a cartoon-like smiling face sewn into a pastel blue, soft, plush body, shimmering fins and a rubberised area on it's tummy. The fact that the eye details are sewn on rather that being buttons, means that it's a lot safer as that they can't be pulled off. But this is not simply a soft toy, press on the tummy and it will gently glow and play a medley of tunes for five minutes before gently fading away. The battery compartment is neatly hidden behind a Velcro fastening at the back of the seahorse. Due to the weight of the battery compartment this is actually quite heavy, Freddy won't be able to pick it up any time soon (he is only 11 weeks though).

As I said Freddy and I were still in hospital when he received his Seahorse, and after a brief struggle removing it from the box, he had it in his crib from that very night. When the tummy is pressed it lights up with a nice gentle glow, which while bright enough to be noticed, it's nowhere nearly bright enough to disturb either Freddy or Mummy and Daddy's sleep. There are a total of eight different melodies played including Twinkle, Twinkle and Frere Jacques, and at top volume they do tend to pervade my dreams. As luck would have it, though, there are two volume levels and the lower is at a level where unless you are right next to the Seahorse it's almost inaudible. Interspersed with the lullabies is a sound that I can only describe as water bubbling, now at top volume this does make me desperate for a wee if I already need to go.

Freddy has found the Seahorse soothing right from word go, even in hospital he wouldn't go to sleep without it after the first night. An example is that I left him for a few minutes to go to the toilet and came back to find a midwife pressing the Seahorse's belly because it had finished and Freddy had started whining. As soon as the music started playing once more he quietened and went back to sleep. Freddy's bedtime routine now wouldn't be complete without this being played at least once.

As the Seahorse has been used extensively for the last 11 weeks, the batteries have needed changing on more than one occasion. Unusually for a toy, this came with a full set of 3 AA batteries, that needed changing about two weeks after the first use (they were cheap and cheerful batteries). I can testify that it would be very difficult for a child to get at the batteries, it was difficult enough for me and Daddy. Not only are there two screws holding the compartment shut, but to get at those screws you have to remove the whole light and sound unit from the body, which is no mean feat in itself. Since first changing the batteries they have needed to be changed once more, and so a set is lasting on average 5 weeks, with the Seahorse being played for an average of 10 minutes a night (sometimes a lot more and sometimes only 5 minutes). Although the care label states that this can only be surface cleaned, there was an occasion when Freddy was sick all over it. So we removed the hard plastic innards, hand washed the soft body and it came out good as new. Of course, I'm not recommending that you do this, but if it needs another wash we won't be hesitating.

Freddy absolutely loves his Seahorse, while it's not as brightly coloured and visually exciting as some of his toys, he will still smile and talk to the friendly face. He won't settle at night without it being played at least once, the five minute runtime is a good time span, it does mean that he does have a chance to drop off before the music stops and light fades and he enjoys chatting to it when he is awake. He's even been known to cuddle up to the Seahorse, even though that is a privilege normally reserved for Mummy and Daddy. And so, the Fisher Price Soothe And Glow Seahorse gets a healthy five stars out five from me, and Freddy's most enthusiastic recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 19 July 2011
I bought this for my son when he was 2 months old. We were trying to create a night/nap time ritual which would mean it was time to sleep, so wanted to start early.
This seahorse has really helped, it plays nice music and gives off a lovely glow which can't help but catch babies eye when it's dark. My son now, at 5 months, knows this music means sleep time, and I often use it get him back to sleep when he wakes at 5am!!
Yes the batterys run out pretty quick, but I don't see that as a negative, just a fact of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life saver!, 30 Aug. 2013
I'm so pleased with this product, I bought it for my newborn baby girl-in pink! She was struggling to get off to sleep in her Moses basket so after reading he reviews I thought I would give it a go, it works!! My husband & I are not too keen on the tunes but who cares it's not for us, after sometimes taking two hours to get her off to sleep after a feed it has been taking 10 mins using the seahorse, don't know how it works, but it does, we just sit it next to her Moses basket as it is quite big. Give it a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 2 April 2012
Fab, love it. He's always asleep by the second round.

Here is how our bedtime goes... In cot awake at 7.20, seahorse on, leave the room. All is quiet... Seahorse finishes 5 mins later, he starts 'shouting' (bit of a whingy, im so tired but wont give in, don't ignore me cry) go back into nursery, put seahorse back on, leave room. Don't here a peep from him again! (asleep by 7.30).

Would highly recommend, especially for the price - bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for babies, 13 Oct. 2013
My baby really loves this sea horse, it plays a nice soothing music which helps him to fall asleep. I would certainly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Seahorse :), 19 Jun. 2012
My baby had this for 1 month old, lots of tunes that play for ages after use squeeze his belly and belly lights up. Perfect size for baby to cuddle and my baby likes to suck his nose :) Very relaxing for baby - recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without it, 10 Feb. 2014
This has been a godsend. Our first son had the 'Playskool Lullaby Gloworm' which was great, but the version we have only played one song at a time before having to push the tummy again (it looks like it's since been changed), which wasn't really long enough to send him to sleep. The music on the gloworm was also not as soothing as the music on this seahorse (although I can't comment on whether this has changed in the new version). This seahorse is great because it plays over 5 mins of music (not too long and not too short) with accompanying bubble noises. The music is very calming and sends both baby and parents off to sleep in no time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this toy!, 12 Feb. 2014
I so much love this glowing seahorse that I have bought few since as a new baby gifts to my family and friends.
The music is soothing and not at all disturbing as in some other musical toys.
The only thing I struggled at the beginning was that I have thought the music can't be switched off before it finishes playing all the lullabies sequence, only after a few months my baby thought me that if you press the seahorse's tummy for long enough it turns off! Silly mummy:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars soothe and soothe love it., 25 Oct. 2013
Baby loves it. it is soothing music he is happy to drift off to sleep before it finishes. easy to pack if you go with family.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing we bought for our son!, 30 Jun. 2012
We bought this when my son was just a few months old, mainly to use for some familiarity whenever we stayed away from home. The music,and the glow, are soothing and reassuring and he has used it at bedtime every night ever since. He is now 26 months and still loves it, even for daytime naps. That's another point actually- I think we've only changed the batteries once, so you won't be spending loads on batteries. I can't recommend this highly enough.