5.0 out of 5 stars Appealing Acker
Published on 18 Nov 2011 by D. Elliott

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing
After the Kenny Ball and Chris Barber 'As Good as it Gets' CDs I found this one a slight disappointment. Some of the performances were, I thought, a bit 'ragged' - a bit uncontrolled. Didn't match what I thought I remembered (but it was a long time ago!)
Published 25 days ago by B. F. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Appealing Acker, 18 Nov 2011
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Just About As Good As It Gets!: The Original Jazz Recordings 1954-1957 (Audio CD)
Acker Bilk's double album of appealing and attractive numbers is one of a Smith & Co. series sub-titled `Just About As Good As It Gets!' featuring British jazz music (and other popular genres). The stated period is 1954-1957 which is before Acker's hit `Stranger On The Shore' but these CDs demonstrate his genuine jazz capabilities and the influences of New Orleans - as `St Philip Street Breakdown', `Careless Love', `Gladiolus Rag' and `High Society' plus more commercial renditions as `My Old Kentucky Home' and `Where The River Shannon Flows'. My favourites include `Postman's Lament' (2 versions), `Dippermouth Blues' and `Over In The Gloryland' which give an inkling of the diversity over all recordings. These are truly magnificent and this double album is just about as good a collection of Acker Bilk's appealing music as will be found anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 12 Sep 2013
This original jazz recordings are phenomenal and can only be appreciated by authentic jazz lovers. I have a lot of Acker Bilk cd's but I can assure you that this is definitely going to be my favourite and I advice all jazz lovers to listen to this. It is a MUST!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Acker Bilk as good as it gets, 27 Sep 2011
K. Marvill "twee molen" (West Yorkshire GB) - See all my reviews
I really like jazz music and this disc is top notch jazz I shall listen to it on many occasions with much enjoyment

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 29 Jun 2014
B. F. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It was very good. The packing was a bit, 24 July 2014
It was very good.The packing was a bit damaged

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jazz, 16 Nov 2013
I have seen Acker live a couple of times through the years, I like his music and I liked this cd. Great if you're fan of his.....