Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Silver-Kitchen Scale|Change

on 14 February 2009
This is a great kitchen scale. Small, slim, lightweight, stylish and very easy to use. I love it, it's perfect!

Accurate
* To 1g/0.1oz/1ml/0.1fl.oz
* Accurately measures fluids, I've measured water and milk and it was pretty much spot on
* Allows you to switch between different measures at any time and it remembers your last choice

Practical
* No need for any additional bowls, just place your own bowl/plate on it and press a button to set it to zero
* Re-set it to zero for each additional ingredient you add (in a second)
* The round plate is slightly raised so it allows you to put any size bowl/plate on the scale

Quick
* Takes just a second turn on and display the weight
* It turns itself off after you've used it but you can also turn it off yourself to save battery

**Nov 2010: I've used this kitchen scale quite frequently for nearly two years now and it works like new. I can't fault it.**
55 comments|303 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2008
I used these scales for my final assessment for the Diploma Patisserie at Le Cordon Bleu London, and they are just fantastic. Accurate, which you need in a professional kitchen, lightweight to carry around and really easy to store in a drawer. I weigh pretty much everything in grams, but for recipes with imperial measures, they're fantastic. Highly recommend them - there's no need to spend a fortune on electronic scales!
0Comment|176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2010
I had several Salter electronic kitchen scales over the years. This one's the best of the lot.

Compact - but not too small. Even with a large mixing bowl on the scales, the display is still easy to read.

Light - but not too light. Just under 400g, it's easy to get out and put away, but is substantial enough to stay put on the working surface, and sits solidly on a flat surface.

An excellent LCD display. The figures are large and clear - the LCD isn't very far below the top of the display area, so it's easily visible and shadows from the bezel do not obscure it. The digits are 13mm high

Quick to start - less than two seconds from pressing the on switch to being ready to weigh things.

Good keys - the on/off/zero and the units keys have a good positive click when pressed.

The range - 5kg in 1g divisions / 11lb in 1/8oz divisions. That's as good as you could want in kitchen scales.

The weighing platform is a pleasingly smooth, brushed, single piece of stainless steel.

Power: One CR2032 button cell. I don't know how long this lasts, but it's a readily available size.

Oh - and it has a mounting point on the underside. With a suitable flat-head screw in the wall, the scales could be easily stored hanging flat against the wall.

I've only had it for three or four days, so I can't comment on the longevity of this model, but so far it's brilliant - the best I've had.

Update: 2nd May 2010
I've now had these scales for a month, using them every day. I'm still very, very pleased with them. Excellent Kitchen scales in every way. Hey - I'm pleased enough to have come back to find this review and update it!

Update: 22nd July 2010
Yes, the scales are still going strong. I'm still very pleased with them.

There's also a feature I now use frequently which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. If you have a bowl full of stuff on the scales, and reset the display to zero, it will accurately show negative weights as you remove stuff from the bowl.

I make bread at home - usually in a breadmaker. Sometimes I want to make rolls. For rolls, I get the breadmaker to mix the dough and give it its first rise, but then I need to split it into equal sized lumps, shape them, and leave them for their second rise before baking. So, I put a clean bowl on the scales and reset to zero. Then I empty the dough from the breadmaker into the bowl. This gives me the weight of dough I have. I divide that weight by the number of rolls I want to make (e.g. 800g divided by 8 = 100g), and reset the scale. I take out some dough until the scales show -100g. Reset scale to zero. Repeat. Result: beautifully even rolls.

Update: 1st September 2010
A couple of days ago, the scales stopped working. The display would come on as usual, but instead of resetting to 0, it would just display "unSt". I tried a new battery, but that did no good. I contacted Salter, who said that that sounded like a permanent fault and that I should contact Amazon. When I went to do that this morning, I thought to give the scales one more try. They're currently working perfectly again (with the old battery). Most mysterious. Despite this fault, I still rate these scales as the best kitchen scales I've had. I'll update again if there are any further problems.

Update: 10 August 2011.
The scales are still working fine. My best guess is that some moisture got inside, but eventually evaporated.

Update: 20 January 2014.
The scales died permanently sometime in 2012. I think they got a bit wet again, and that did for them. So if I have one criticism it's that their water resistance could be better. Lovely to use though.

Update: 5 October 2014.
Since these scales are at an all-time low price today (£10.40!), I'm buying another one. Let's see how long this one lasts.

Update: 4 December 2015. I haven't actually started using my new scales yet! But as someone pointed out in comments, five stars is too mcuh for some scales that died withing two years, so one star knocked off.
99 comments|198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2009
I absolutely love these scales. They look fab! They are accurate and I never thought I would use the ml option as had never had that before but used it on day one!! They are amazing!! Highly recommended.
on 4 February 2009
These scales are brilliant. They are very accurate,meassure in grammes
lb and ounces,fluid ounces and ml.Automatic cut off after a while,if not using them or quick shut off to save your battery. You can put your pan/bowl straight on them add your ingredient,press a button which takes you back to zero again. Add your next ingredient and so on. No mess, easy!
They are nice and small for storage, even have a hook on the back if you want to hang on the wall.Easy to clean. Recommend them.
on 7 September 2008
I bought these scales from the recommendation on 'customer's review'
I was struggling with my old scales trying to work out the exact amount of grams which I needed to be exact as I am on a diet. They are brilliant, just put any container on the scales turn on, select preferred weighing measurement and that's about it, and comes with good guarantee. Also,if your kitchen space is limited, these are the scales for you, they are very compact, overall, a good buy and have no hesitation on recommendation.
0Comment|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2011
We purchased these scales to help with baking, general cooking and measuring out dog food. For several months they worked well. However, on a few occasions they started to go haywire and/or stop working. Each time we have left them for a few days, bought a new battery (not cheap) and they generally started working again. However, this time round they have completely died. I suspect the base may have been placed on a wet kitchen surface, but even so, am still disappointed that they have proved unable to survive moderate use in a normal kitchen. Will now look for a more hardy set of scales.
55 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2009
Slim and compact, easy to slip into a drawer when not in use. Very flexible, with liquid measurement in fluid ounces and millilitres as well as the usual grams and ounces. And it is accurate - I tested the liquid measurement before use. And it only takes one battery - its predecessor used two, which made it a £6 replacement every time.

My only quibble is that the stainless steel top is not removable - I would like to stick it in the dishwasher from time to time, but can't.
on 5 July 2011
I use these all day every day at work as a chef and have had no problems with them. Easy to use and good functions. Only comment is that the top is rather small for balancing large bowls etc on, but only a minor issue.
on 4 January 2012
The Scale comes complete with a CR2032 battery installed but with a plastic tag breaking the circuit. To get operational simply means a gentle pull to remove the tag. The display and 2 control buttons jut out from the circular weighing platform to enable easier access when in use.
I find it simplest to put a bowl or plate onto the platform then press the left button. This turns the scale on and it automatically then sets the reading to zero(after filling the display with -18888).
Adding ingredients then increases the reading on the display.
To weigh further ingredients simply press the left button once more and the display returns to zero.
This can be repeated up to a maximum weight of 5kg if measuring in grammes(11lb 0.0oz in 0.1oz, 5000ml in ml, 176.0fl.oz in 0.1fl.oz).
A press of the left button when the display is zero will turn off the scale
The right button scrolls through the units available.

WARNING: the reading can be affected by other electrical equipment.
My microwave sent it crazy, also fluorescent lights could cause interference.
(does this explain some of the problems some reviewers have had?)