5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!
This is a great kitchen scale. Small, slim, lightweight, stylish and very easy to use. I love it, it's perfect!

Accurate
* To 1g/0.1oz/1ml/0.1fl.oz
* Accurately measures fluids, I've measured water and milk and it was pretty much spot on
* Allows you to switch between different measures at any time and it remembers your last choice...
Published on 14 Feb 2009 by M. Johannesson

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - 3 design faults
We bought one of these 4 years ago and we thought they were the best scales we'd ever had.
But then they stopped working - I've always been suspicious about the buttons and the guarantee doesn't cover water damage.
So I decided to take the cover off...

Published on 21 Dec 2011 by Dave B

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 14 Feb 2009
This review is from: Salter Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale (Kitchen & Home)

Accurate
* To 1g/0.1oz/1ml/0.1fl.oz

Practical
* No need for any additional bowls, just place your own bowl/plate on it and press a button to set it to zero
* Re-set it to zero for each additional ingredient you add (in a second)
* The round plate is slightly raised so it allows you to put any size bowl/plate on the scale

Quick
* Takes just a second turn on and display the weight
* It turns itself off after you've used it but you can also turn it off yourself to save battery

**Nov 2010: I've used this kitchen scale quite frequently for nearly two years now and it works like new. I can't fault it.**

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Salter Kitchen Scale Yet!, 1 April 2010
Paul Durrant (Norwich, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
I had several Salter electronic kitchen scales over the years. This one's the best of the lot.

Compact - but not too small. Even with a large mixing bowl on the scales, the display is still easy to read.

Light - but not too light. Just under 400g, it's easy to get out and put away, but is substantial enough to stay put on the working surface, and sits solidly on a flat surface.

An excellent LCD display. The figures are large and clear - the LCD isn't very far below the top of the display area, so it's easily visible and shadows from the bezel do not obscure it. The digits are 13mm high

Quick to start - less than two seconds from pressing the on switch to being ready to weigh things.

Good keys - the on/off/zero and the units keys have a good positive click when pressed.

The range - 5kg in 1g divisions / 11lb in 1/8oz divisions. That's as good as you could want in kitchen scales.

The weighing platform is a pleasingly smooth, brushed, single piece of stainless steel.

Power: One CR2032 button cell. I don't know how long this lasts, but it's a readily available size.

Oh - and it has a mounting point on the underside. With a suitable flat-head screw in the wall, the scales could be easily stored hanging flat against the wall.

I've only had it for three or four days, so I can't comment on the longevity of this model, but so far it's brilliant - the best I've had.

Update: 2nd May 2010
I've now had these scales for a month, using them every day. I'm still very, very pleased with them. Excellent Kitchen scales in every way. Hey - I'm pleased enough to have come back to find this review and update it!

Update: 22nd July 2010
Yes, the scales are still going strong. I'm still very pleased with them.

There's also a feature I now use frequently which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. If you have a bowl full of stuff on the scales, and reset the display to zero, it will accurately show negative weights as you remove stuff from the bowl.

I make bread at home - usually in a breadmaker. Sometimes I want to make rolls. For rolls, I get the breadmaker to mix the dough and give it its first rise, but then I need to split it into equal sized lumps, shape them, and leave them for their second rise before baking. So, I put a clean bowl on the scales and reset to zero. Then I empty the dough from the breadmaker into the bowl. This gives me the weight of dough I have. I divide that weight by the number of rolls I want to make (e.g. 800g divided by 8 = 100g), and reset the scale. I take out some dough until the scales show -100g. Reset scale to zero. Repeat. Result: beautifully even rolls.

Update: 1st September 2010
A couple of days ago, the scales stopped working. The display would come on as usual, but instead of resetting to 0, it would just display "unSt". I tried a new battery, but that did no good. I contacted Salter, who said that that sounded like a permanent fault and that I should contact Amazon. When I went to do that this morning, I thought to give the scales one more try. They're currently working perfectly again (with the old battery). Most mysterious. Despite this fault, I still rate these scales as the best kitchen scales I've had. I'll update again if there are any further problems.

Update: 10 August 2011.
The scales are still working fine. My best guess is that some moisture got inside, but eventually evaporated.

Update: 20 January 2014.
The scales died permanently sometime in 2012. I think they got a bit wet again, and that did for them. So if I have one criticism it's that their water resistance could be better. Lovely to use though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Scales, 25 Jun 2008
M. J. Collins (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I used these scales for my final assessment for the Diploma Patisserie at Le Cordon Bleu London, and they are just fantastic. Accurate, which you need in a professional kitchen, lightweight to carry around and really easy to store in a drawer. I weigh pretty much everything in grams, but for recipes with imperial measures, they're fantastic. Highly recommend them - there's no need to spend a fortune on electronic scales!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't fault scales, 7 Sep 2008
I bought these scales from the recommendation on 'customer's review'
I was struggling with my old scales trying to work out the exact amount of grams which I needed to be exact as I am on a diet. They are brilliant, just put any container on the scales turn on, select preferred weighing measurement and that's about it, and comes with good guarantee. Also,if your kitchen space is limited, these are the scales for you, they are very compact, overall, a good buy and have no hesitation on recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 5 Feb 2009
I absolutely love these scales. They look fab! They are accurate and I never thought I would use the ml option as had never had that before but used it on day one!! They are amazing!! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab scales, 4 Feb 2009
These scales are brilliant. They are very accurate,meassure in grammes
lb and ounces,fluid ounces and ml.Automatic cut off after a while,if not using them or quick shut off to save your battery. You can put your pan/bowl straight on them add your ingredient,press a button which takes you back to zero again. Add your next ingredient and so on. No mess, easy!
They are nice and small for storage, even have a hook on the back if you want to hang on the wall.Easy to clean. Recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and easy to use, 21 Jan 2009
Leigh O'Connor (Llandrinio, Powys) - See all my reviews
I had dropped my old salter electronic scale onto the stone floor once too often and needed a replacement. This is lovely. It is smallish and flat so easy to pop in a drawer or basket. It is very simple to use and because the display sticks out you can still see it when you have a large bowl on the scale. The buttons are quite sensitive, so unlike my old one you don't have to push them very hard. I use my scales every day, and think that for the money that this seem an excellent choice. It is quite a bit heavier than my old set and feels quite solid. No sure how well it will "bounce" when I do, inevitably, drop it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works out of the box, BEWARE the Microwave, 4 Jan 2012
The Scale comes complete with a CR2032 battery installed but with a plastic tag breaking the circuit. To get operational simply means a gentle pull to remove the tag. The display and 2 control buttons jut out from the circular weighing platform to enable easier access when in use.
I find it simplest to put a bowl or plate onto the platform then press the left button. This turns the scale on and it automatically then sets the reading to zero(after filling the display with -18888).
Adding ingredients then increases the reading on the display.
To weigh further ingredients simply press the left button once more and the display returns to zero.
This can be repeated up to a maximum weight of 5kg if measuring in grammes(11lb 0.0oz in 0.1oz, 5000ml in ml, 176.0fl.oz in 0.1fl.oz).
A press of the left button when the display is zero will turn off the scale
The right button scrolls through the units available.

WARNING: the reading can be affected by other electrical equipment.
My microwave sent it crazy, also fluorescent lights could cause interference.
(does this explain some of the problems some reviewers have had?)

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - 3 design faults, 21 Dec 2011
So I decided to take the cover off...

1) There is absolutely nothing under the buttons to protect the circuitry from wet hands or spills.

Even the most basic TV remote control and home phone have rubber mats under the buttons! So why not for scales that are intended for use around food preparation?

The electonic switch under the on/off button was rusted and I managed to solder a new one in place but then came the show stopper...

2) If you replace the battery whilst accidentally holding one of the buttons (EASILY DONE) then it goes into recalibration mode and displays "CAL" - it seems it's a common feature for scales to allow them to be recalibrated BUT THESE SCALES DON'T ALLOW YOU TO RECALIBRATE SO THERE'S NO OPTION BUT TO THROW THEM IN THE BIN! UNLESS...see comments (looks like you can get them changed under the 15 year warranty if you've got a receipt)

Despite this we thought they were so good to use that we would buy another set, put a plastic bag over the buttons like another reviewer has done and be extra careful when changing batteries.

3) When they arrived the base of the new scales was warped so it didn't stand on all it's rubber feet and when the buttons were pressed it rocked. We sent it back for replacement and the next one was exactly the same so that was sent back too. [Amazon were brilliant throughout - as always]

We have now ordered the "Salter Large ultra slim glass platform electronic kitchen scale" which has a button that is protected by the glass top & WE WILL BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHEN REPLACING BATTERIES.

Fingers crossed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase - recommended, 18 Mar 2009
keesiepup (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Slim and compact, easy to slip into a drawer when not in use. Very flexible, with liquid measurement in fluid ounces and millilitres as well as the usual grams and ounces. And it is accurate - I tested the liquid measurement before use. And it only takes one battery - its predecessor used two, which made it a £6 replacement every time.

My only quibble is that the stainless steel top is not removable - I would like to stick it in the dishwasher from time to time, but can't.