4.0 out of 5 stars Good, in 3D, but not Great, in 3D.......
Published 12 months ago by Fitzsy

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Film, 3D disappointing
I felt the 3D version did not really improve the film, the effects were disappointing in 3D and added nothing to the Blue-ray version
Published 18 months ago by Anthony Fairman

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, in 3D, but not Great, in 3D......., 11 July 2013
I like this film, and having spent lots of money on a 3D TV I have been collecting as much stuff as I can get in 3D. This is not one of the greater ones though. This film has been converted using a new system developed by JVC that allows a computer to do all of the work, instead of a tech person. The process is aparently a heck of alot faster and very much cheaper to do than other 3D conversion processes (Titanic for example) and it does, sadly, show. To start with in a shot when Will smith is laying down and we see his face close up, it is very noticable that this is now in 3D with all of the extra layers, but during quite alot of points in the film, I had to take off my glasses just to check I was still watching a 3D film. I have given this 4 stars because the films is a good movie, the picture and sound are also great, and 'I think' it is always nice to see how a film you have enjoyed previously now works in 3D (Other will not agree with this statement I'm sure!), but as far as 3D titles go, and out of my ever growing 3D collection, I have to say that this was not really the best. 20th century Fox are supposed to be bringing out alot more of these older catalogue titles in 3D, also using the same cheaper conversion process developed by JVC, so it will be good to see how they shape up, and also what films they choose to do it with....... Lets just hope they work a little better in a new dimention next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bit of Sci Fi fun, 7 Jun 2009
This review is from: I, Robot [Blu-ray] (2004) (Blu-ray)
I,Robot is actually a sci-fi story published in 1939 by Eando Binder (two brothers in fact) in which Asimov was heavily influenced by. So, this film actually takes parts from the original story and also includes Asimov's 3 laws. So ignore the persons comments above, the film is actually a fantastic sci-fi romp that any Will Smith / sci fi fans should enjoy.

On Bluray, this is fantastic too. Picture quality is awesome and sound quality is also great, especially if you have an amp that can output HD-Audio. The tunnel scene where Will Smith gets attacked by rogue robots is awesome, good demo material and really gives your speakers a good work out. For the price, you cant go wrong for Bluray.

5.0 out of 5 stars I, Robot (Blu-ray version)..., 16 Feb 2013
Milt Ingarfield "milt_fm" (Arbroath, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Robot [Blu-ray] (2004) (Blu-ray)
Director Alex Proyas production "I Robot" (based on the book by Isaac Asimov) from 2004 starring global star Will Smith (Men in Black and Enemy of the Sate) and in the female lead the excellent Bridget Moynahan (Lord of War and The Sum of all Fears) set in the year 2035 came to Blu-ray in 2008 on a 50GB region free disc encoded using MPEG4 AVC in full 1080p resolution with the aspect ratio is 2.39.1 which is a slight change from the original theatrical presentation which was 2.34.1 this does not affect the transfer to the HD format in the slightest.

The soundtrack is in English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 along with a French and German DTS 5.1 audio as well as the following subtitles: - English for the hard of hearing French, German, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish.

The music composed by Marco Beltrami adds greatly to the pulse pounding action such as the tunnel scene which includes such effects as the metallic grinding and crunching of the robots as they are crushed under the wheels of the transport vehicles this comes across with a great deal of conviction there is a great rumble from the sub woofer channel during these scenes and the dialogue is clear and easy to understand in fact the DTS Master Audio track delivers all the sound elements of this movie with a great deal of clarity and satisfying oomph.

The transfer of the title is so good in my option it's of reference standard the colour saturation and field of blacks are just superb and I use it as a test disc for both players and testing different quality of HDMI cables and found to be a reliable source disc for that purpose.
The special features are as follows: - commentary from the director and the screen writer Akiva Goldsman, trivia track, "I Robot" production diaries, special featurettes on CGI and design, visual effects, Stunts and Robotics, Extended and deleted scenes including two alternative endings; it also lists five Easter eggs which I haven't found yet.

The back of the box has a misprint it lists the running time as being 109 minutes the actual running time is the full un-cut running time of 114 minutes and 44 seconds..

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the upgrade, 17 July 2008
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I, Robot [Blu-ray] (2004) (Blu-ray)
I bought this having owned the DVD and thought it would be a film that would benefit from the advantages of HD. I'm not disappointed, thankfully. The picture is stunning.

As for the film, I think it's one of Will Smith's best yet often underated. Sure, it's no Oscar winner but as a quick fix of stunning special effects with a decent storyline it more than fits the bill. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Somehow "Bombastic" just doesn't quite say it., 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: I, Robot [Blu-ray] (2004) (Blu-ray)
For a film made and put out on disc before the launch of Blu-Ray, this is a stunning A/V feast. Perhaps a few of the long shots are not quite at reference level (e.g. some of the scrolling skyscraper shots so beloved on BD test discs) but almost everything else is! Close-ups of Will Smith awaking from his recurring nightmare are stunning in their depth and plasticity. The film features great, natural colours and superb contrasts. I can't recall any intrusive grain, and yet there isn't a hint of DNR.

But the film's strongest suit is sound. The 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio is absolute solid-gold reference standard. To paraphrase Will Smith's great line "somehow 'bombastic' just doesn't quite say it". The LFE effects in the tunnel confrontation are unbelievably visceral and intense. "I, Robot" is also a film full of superbly implemented surround sound, and always offers a perfect balance between dialogue and effects. With a decent sound set-up at home you will probably come as close here to recreating the feeling of being in a cinema as you can imagine.

The film itself is great fun, with Will Smith at maybe his most amusing in a big film role so far. For less than a tenner, this is a real bargain and will be a real credit to your HD telly or projection screen.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Film, 3D disappointing, 16 Jan 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE MOTOR!!, 11 July 2009
Jason Thorne (England / Oxford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Robot [Blu-ray] (2004) (Blu-ray)
This is a good bit of science fiction fun with Will Smith and a load of robots which looked stunning as did the rest of the special effects. The action is brillant from the word go more so the scene in the tunnel when the robots attack Will Smith in his Audi which does look amazing I have to say. The story is easy to follow and moves along at a nice pace and everything is explained as you go, overall it's a great piece of mindless fun which I enjoyed alot. On the blu ray side of things totally brillant it had a great picture and the sound was spot on. If you are looking for a film to show off your blu ray you won't go far wrong here just don't take it to seriously and you will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars iRobot - Love It, 14 May 2009
P. Foster "Weird Fish" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved the Film and DVD so just had to have the UMD :)
This is a must have for any SiFi fan and especialy any Will Smith fan, it may even convert you if your not. Smith plays it pretty much straight with the odd but intelligent action hero line with a slight tounge in cheek deliverence. Buy it you'll want it for any flight, train or tube journey, just upgrade your headphones :)

4.0 out of 5 stars I Robot - I'm impressed, 10 Dec 2004
This review is from: I, Robot [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
A thoughtful interpretation of Asimov's universe, this film manages to incorporate some of his "philosophy" into a slick and well presented action film.
Yes, the plot itself is a little formulaic and the characters could have done with a bit more padding out, but you'll hardly notice. Overall, a good film well worthy of a try - but if a sequel is forthcoming, I hope the film-makers will tackle something a little more ambitious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie and this Year's Best Summer Blockbuster, 12 Dec 2004
This review is from: I, Robot [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I won't lie, having seen the trailer to 'i, Robot', I thought it looked quite frankly rubbish. Shots of camp robots jumping all over a futuristic Audi, that was being piloted by Will Smith didn't fill me with enthusiasm. But I was wrong.
This is a great movie, and not only that, but it was realligned my perception of Will Smith as an actor. The pacing, plot and vision are all top notch, helping to carry the film along at a cracking pace, and Will Smith is excellent as the cynical future cop, engulfed by his paranoia towards the robots that populate society. His trademark quips help to bring some much needed humour to the proceedings, and his physical prowess makes some of the more extreme actions that he undertakes more believable. Special mention also has to be given to Alan Tudyk, who gives an incredibly dynamic performance as Sonny, the lead robot, creating a unique combination of human curiosity and robotic precision.
As has been mentioned, the special effects are great, maybe except for some of the occasionally artificial looking cityscapes, and the NS5 robot designs are fantastic. The action, whilst a tad extreme is nontheless highly enjoyable, breaking up the lengthy dialogue-heavy scenes. The plot, whilst obviously not as complex as the Asimov book, is still competant enough to hold its own against other recent Sci-Fi films such as 'Minority Report'.
So overall, 'i, Robot' gets a big thumbs up in my oppinion, firstly as a great movie and secondly as the first movie I've seen to be better than it's trailer. The only thing I can't understand is why the certificate has been bumped up from a 12 to a 15, as in my view it's suitable for all the family.

I, Robot [Blu-ray] (2004)
I, Robot [Blu-ray] (2004) by Fiona Hogan (Blu-ray - 2008)
4.50