5.0 out of 5 stars Come back Prog all is forgiven!
At the moment I can't listen to anything else! I bought this a few weeks ago and it has hardly been put back in its cover. Favourite tracks are Shesmovedon and Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth and The Rest Will Flow. wonderful guitar breaks, (esp Shesmovedon) subliminal stuff! come back prog all is forgiven. I think Richard Barbieri used to be in Japan back in the...
Published on 12 July 2001 by S. Ralph

3.0 out of 5 stars Eclipsed by Stupid Dream and Recordings.
I just received this item from the PT Store because it included a limited edition disc incorporating the songs "Novak" and a previously unreleased instrumental version of "Buying New Soul".

Lightbulb Sun is one of three albums by PT that was deleted for some time. The other two albums are "Stupid Dream" which has now been released and "Recordings" which will be...
Published on 12 April 2008 by PalominBeaut

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album from an amazing band, 22 July 2000
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
I was fortunate enough to see Porcupine tree in London as support for Sonic Youth, their music just blew me away, the best live band i've seen since Camel. I bought Lightbulb Sun the day after the concert and have played it constantly since then. I would also recommend Stupid Dream as an excellent album. Favourite tracks on Lightbulb Sun; title track and She's moved on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just very good music!, 1 Jun 2000
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
I am not the kind of person that likes to write review, but this album (which is the second I know from Porcupine Tree, Stupid Dream)deserves it.I have to say that it is very good music, whatever kind of style it is, because even if you can easily hear a bit of Pink Floyd, Beatles, Beach Boys or Cure, they developped their own style. So if you like very good music do not hesitate one second, the only thing you will regret is the fact that you did not know this band before. Honestly with their last album, it was a long time that I did not find so good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get this album off the stereo!, 13 Jun 2000
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
I blame my Geordie friend Mick for my current inability to extract Lightbulb Sun from the stereo. This band is addictive - the music is complex, beautiful, sometimes subtle, other times totally in your face. You may end up like me working backwards - first Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, then curiosity drives you to sample the band's idiosyncratic and awesome back catalogue. And once you've seen 'em live, the damage is really done! If you like an intelligent, non-pretentious approach to your prog rock, this is it! Thanks Mick - you did me a huge favour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs of Doom and Gloom!, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
It's true! Many of the songs on this album relate to relationship break-ups and depression. It's a tough choice, but I'd probably have say that Lightbulb Sun is my favourite PT album. From a personal perspective, many of the songs I can relate to lyrically but it's not just because I can indulge in some grief-fest listening to the likes of Russia On Ice and Feel So Low that I love this album - it is just a great collection of songs played by a bunch of talented musicians. It's hard to pick stand-out tracks, but I'll try - Shesmovedon is pretty close to a pop song, a tale of a fleeting affair and unrequited love. Hatesong is as it says and remained a staple of PT live shows. Russia On Ice is a tale of despair, the first slow, downbeat section kicking off with Richard Barbieri's tinkling electric piano and a dark, gloomy riff on bass and guitar before building up to a crescendo complete with string quartet before Colin Edwin's bass leads you into the back end of the song, a metal-esque blast of guitars and drums before the complete change of pace that is Feel So Low. Fantastic stuff.
The 5.1 mix is not over intrusive either - Steven Wilson's 5.1 mixes appear to favour the atmospheric over the ability to come at you from all sides in general I find. The extra tracks on the 5.1 version are worth a listen too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !, 25 May 2000
A. J. Sudworth "tonysudworth" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
This album does have a slightly twee start with what seems like a hippy reference - but stick with it because this album has so many different things to appreciate - superb guitar work, a rare sense of humour and a sense of listening to something different. There is sone elements of Pink Floyd and Yes but there is a heavier rock thread that comes though and gives the sound a more aggresive feel. I've played this CD five or six times since Monday and ut just keeps getting better

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 July 2000
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
I was recommended Porcupine Tree from a friend of mine, and I am so glad he did. They are excellent and this album is no exception. My favorites are Shes moved on, Last chance to...., and Where we would be. So stop reading and buy it, and while your at it check out their other albums. P.S. If you are lucky enough (like me) to see them on tour check them out, they will blow you away

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of Porcupine Tree's best ever work, 23 May 2000
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
Bought "Lightbulb Sun" when it came out on Monday. I have to say, I'm extremely impressed by the innovation and talent shown by this group, and Steve Wilson in particular. There are some truly beautiful tracks on here, in particular, "Where Would We Be?" and "Russia on Ice".
Utterly fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile reissue for 5.1, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
You possibly have to be a bit sad to buy an album again for the surround sound version on the dvd. But I did, and it's worth it, especially before it ends up in the silly price arena of the profiteers. Steven Wilson may be a bit repetitive in his output but he knows how to sort the sound out. The stereo remix is not that different from the original issue, but the 5.1 surround is splendid. Not as good a CD in my view as the preceding CD 'Stupid Dream' (see my review) but they are of a piece; the '4 chords' track still grates though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally this album is re-released for everyone who missed it before., 21 April 2008
A. D. Mutton "underground_alcoholic" (Loughborough, Leics) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
Okay, I must confess like most of the reviewers I already have this album from the original release. But I will not be buying it, I would though, if I had a 5.1 system.

For those new, or new-ish to the band this album comes from the "peak" of late 90s-early 00s (Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun/In Absentia).

Personally, i'm surprised nobody has praised the album opener "Lightbulb Sun" with a great guitar riff. To be honest the only fault I can pick with this album is "How is your life" which bores me silly..it's too stripped back and basic.

Anyway, it doesnt matter, the rest is excellent, just buy it and follow it immediately with Stupid Dream (which is even better), and then In Absentia and finally Signify.

5.0 out of 5 stars Porcupine Tree continue their "never make a bad album" tradition, 17 Sep 2014
M. Hasker (Fareham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lightbulb Sun (Audio CD)
the first album I purchased as part of my "backtrack through Porcupine tree" albums. In Lightbulb Sun, you can hear the progression from their earlier music to their later music - some heavy tracks (Russia on Ice), to some more mellow, downtempo tracks. If there is one track that stands out for me on this, it is the title track Lightbulb Sun. For days, perhaps even weeks I was stuck on that track, it had everything in it that makes me enjoy music, and everything you expect from Mr Wilson.

Highly recommended.

Lightbulb Sun
Lightbulb Sun by Porcupine Tree (Audio CD - 2008)