5.0 out of 5 stars This film could change your life..
Published on 20 April 2008 by Bookish

3.0 out of 5 stars Motivating and moving...........................
Published on 30 April 2008 by Saturnicus

5.0 out of 5 stars This film could change your life.., 20 April 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't say that lightly! I found this a deeply moving film and a deeply thought provoking one. Dan Millman is a prolific writer of self-help books (none of which I've read - yet). This film is based on his life as an ego-driven young gymnast (played in the film by Scott Melchowitz) who is striving for a gold medal. He meets a mysterious and enigmatic man he calls Socrates (Nick Nolte) who seems to have knowledge of super-powers, that Dan figures could help him win his gold medal. Dan then suffers a serious accident to his leg, and begins his journey as he discovers that true greatness is about strength of spirit.
When I sat down to watch it, I was waiting to see the same old same old 'boy overcomes adversity' tale, but I was instantly drawn into this beautiful film, and I didn't take my eyes off it until it ended. I laughed out loud, and I cried, and I was left with a strong message that has stayed with me and really has made me think differently.
The joy of the film is the unfolding of young Dan's story, and the viewer learning alongside him. The acting is superb, the film quality is high, and although it's a film dealing with matters of the spirit, it's not at all lightweight or sickly, as this kind of film can be. Oh, and no moral finger-pointing either!
I both enjoyed this film and learned a lot from it, and I would unhesitatingly recommend it very strongly to anyone who wants to learn something about themselves and how we can be blinded by our need to prove ourselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Motivating and moving..........................., 30 April 2008
Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Danny is an ambitious gymnast who is selfishly driven towards Olympic gold. Little really matters to him apart from what he wants for himself out of life. Then one night when he has trouble sleeping, he goes for a walk and encounters a stranger working at a service station. He continues to have hallucinations about this man, whom he calls Socrates, and is drawn back to him like a magnet.
Here he learns that the path to success is within oneself, and that the "garbage"in his head should be cleared out allowing a more spiritual path to be taken. After a motor-bike accident, Danny is told that his career is over and his hopes are dashed, but with the aid of Socrates and a young woman, Joy, he works his way back to fitness and from desperation to success.
It is a dark film, which was rather lost on me, but nevertheless was interesting viewing. I daresay it might appeal more to an American audience, but is inspirational. Certainly worth watching in quiet moments, and no doubt repeated viewings would plant seeds in even a stoney mind like mine. Perhaps in younger days, I should have benefited from the philosophy contained herein.
An unusual role for Nick Nolte, contrasting with his usual tough guy image, and I thought he carried it off beatifully. I did not recognise anyone else in the cast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book. The movie? Not so much., 7 Jun 2011
Craig W (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peaceful Warrior [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
I read the book when I was a teenager and it really moved me. I read it again recently and it had the same effect. It inspired me to buy the film on dvd. So, long story short I thought it was nothing short of dreadful. I take full account of he fact that movies rarely make a successful transition to the screen-but OMG. IF you love the book as much as I do, do yourself a favour and preserve all those wonderful memories about the story- give this one a miss!

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 15 Sep 2009
This review is from: Peaceful Warrior [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
A very good film. Very insightful and to truely get you to slow down to see things in life we miss all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 5 Feb 2009
EmmaH (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't know anything about this film when I watched it, and was unaware that it was based on a popular self-help book. I'm glad I didn't, as I think that might have put me off.

As it was I found it both absorbing in it's tempo and 'message' - I'm a bit of a sucker for the old Zen line. But it was also well acted and beautifully shot - the slow motion scenes of Dan's gymnastics, for instance, were just superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take out the trash, 30 Aug 2010
This review is from: Peaceful Warrior [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
This is the film I am currently passing onto everyone I know, friends, colleagues and clients. Nick Nolte is superb as Socrates and almost every line that comes out of his mouth is a philosophical sound bite. A fabulous and inspiring film to get you thinking about being fully present in your life. "Take out the trash" of your mind and realise your full potential. And if you don't well up with tears at the closing scene you are an alien life force incapable of emotion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nolte in lucid performance, 15 May 2008
Mr. G. Carroll (LDN | HKG | SZX) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The film is an adaptation of a book by the same name that tells the story of an athlete who becomes a decent human being with the help of those around him as he tries to recover from an accident. Nolte plays a mysterious life-coach type character that points the young man away from arrogance and self-pity to what can be considered enlightenment.

This struck me as one of those slow-burner films that can sometimes surprise in the face of blockbusters at the box office. The film avoids being too mawkish whilst still having a bit of a feel good element to it. Readers of the book may chafe at the simplification of the story, but thats Hollywood for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 15 May 2008
Stuart Burns (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not sure I can add much to the other reviews -- this is a surprisingly entertaining bit of message filmmaking lifted by some excellent performances and direction in places (even if just now and then its not quite sure what it should be doing).

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 24 Sep 2007
The film may not be as broad as the book but its enough to get people to start thinking past what they have been conditioned and will inspire many to read the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this film!, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Peaceful Warrior [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
Peaceful Warrior is amazing, I loved it so much, I watched it few times with my family and friends. It's so full of lessons about life and growing to be a better person, you could sit there and take notes. Most of all, it shows young people how to let go of their ego, very beautiful message. However, if you're looking for "Karate Kid" - type film, this is it! It's a PEACEFUL warrior, so one who conquers himself. :) Enjoy!

Peaceful Warrior [2006] [DVD]
Peaceful Warrior [2006] [DVD] by Victor Salva (DVD - 2008)
6.78